Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Sep 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 172
I'm in the market for some new cans and if these turn out not to be a gimmick they're definitely are on the top of my list., but there seems to something "off" with them. IDK only time will tell.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 172
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sony produce MDR 1R, 1A, and 1ADAC for consumers and portable use? If that is the case, wouldn't portable headphones targeted to consumers be engineered in a way so that it will sound good with DACs that are implemented in consumer devices, such as iPhones, Android, iPod, etc? Also, even if the DAC inside the headphone does improve the sound quality, what are the chances that the average consumers will be able to discern the difference? Finally, if the MDR 1ADAC is not targeted for consumers or portable use, it would mean that it was designed for audiophiles or professionals for home or studio use right? Wouldn't most people have their own Amp, DAC, headphone, or other audio gears that are better suited for their need than the MDR 1ADAC? Just throwing out some of my thoughts here.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 172
Wow, another active headphone! 

I'm still sure with a good design active headphones will far outperform passive ones. It's also nice as there is no need to worry about impedance matching and power requirements of your headphones.

edit: I though,still doubt that these headphones were going to be much special in terms of real hi fidelity.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 172
It would all depend on the DAC / amplification quality and implementation... and of course comparatively, that of the source being bypassed.

Most USB cables are thick, stiff, bulky, chunky+clunky (IMHO).  That would be a step down in my book.

Interesting that they chose not to make it Bluetooth compatible.  Thats usually a huge selling point for the general public.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 172
  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sony produce MDR 1R, 1A, and 1ADAC for consumers and portable use? If that is the case, wouldn't portable headphones targeted to consumers be engineered in a way so that it will sound good with DACs that are implemented in consumer devices, such as iPhones, Android, iPod, etc? Also, even if the DAC inside the headphone does improve the sound quality, what are the chances that the average consumers will be able to discern the difference? Finally, if the MDR 1ADAC is not targeted for consumers or portable use, it would mean that it was designed for audiophiles or professionals for home or studio use right? Wouldn't most people have their own Amp, DAC, headphone, or other audio gears that are better suited for their need than the MDR 1ADAC? Just throwing out some of my thoughts here.

I am sorry to say so, but out of your thoughts speaks a lot of snobbism.After buying the Beyerdynamic A200p, or the AK10 in the us, I was already wondering, if they can make a DAC/ Amp this small, they can even intregrated in a headphone,and why not indeed, the less you have to care on the road the better.In the end it doesn´t matter who is targeted , only comfort and sound matters.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 172
They sound a good headphone, ive owned many a headset full size and IEM, and I reckon most of us run a Fiio or suchlike to get that extra HP out of the IPhone.

I have used Android for 8 months now over my IPhone and I hate it, the volume is too low and need a good amp to get anything worthy of the IPhone, that being said a nice Fiio on the IPhone enhances it. But carrying it admittedly its small but still a ballache.

My full size cans consist of

Sennheiser Momentums and Amperiors
Shure 840s
Sony MDR1RBT

These are targeted at us portable people the clues in the reviews 8hrs batt life, great for trips. Out of all my headphones the sonys are the best ive had, right down to my Fav IEMs, the MDR EX1000s.

I bet these will sound pretty good, and would definitely be at the top of my list for sub 300 headphones if Cans were what I needed, and they are very comfy.

Might even sell the sennheisers for some...

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 172
  They sound a good headphone, ive owned many a headset full size and IEM, and I reckon most of us run a Fiio or suchlike to get that extra HP out of the IPhone.

I have used Android for 8 months now over my IPhone and I hate it, the volume is too low and need a good amp to get anything worthy of the IPhone, that being said a nice Fiio on the IPhone enhances it. But carrying it admittedly its small but still a ballache.

My full size cans consist of

Sennheiser Momentums and Amperiors
Shure 840s
Sony MDR1RBT

These are targeted at us portable people the clues in the reviews 8hrs batt life, great for trips. Out of all my headphones the sonys are the best ive had, right down to my Fav IEMs, the MDR EX1000s.

I bet these will sound pretty good, and would definitely be at the top of my list for sub 300 headphones if Cans were what I needed, and they are very comfy.

Might even sell the sennheisers for some...

I am pretty sure, that it will be an upgrade for your Android device, I am not sure about the iPhone, it all will depend on the quality of the Dac inside the headphone. I have a Beyerdynamic A200p Dac/ Amp, I already thought if they can make it this small ,why not build in to a headphone? So I also wait eagerly for test results, in Germany you can already order it from the Sony website.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 172
What ive found is android as a whole is quieter than the IPhone, I was given a Samsung s4 by work and also at the same time bought the Sony Z2 and Z2 Tablet. I tried like hell to like them but after having ipads for so long they just didn't cut it for me.

The Sony unit was slightly better as they include Noise cancelling headphones which are pretty good to be honest. I look forward to the headphones, once thing will ne interesting is Apples IPAD Air 2 or IPAD 6 rumours have it APPLE may use lightning headphones, I went What. probably speculation but lets see.... I hope not or at least I hope they release an adaptor for my array of phonos

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 172
What ive found is android as a whole is quieter than the IPhone, I was given a Samsung s4 by work and also at the same time bought the Sony Z2 and Z2 Tablet. I tried like hell to like them but after having ipads for so long they just didn't cut it for me.

The Sony unit was slightly better as they include Noise cancelling headphones which are pretty good to be honest. I look forward to the headphones, once thing will ne interesting is Apples IPAD Air 2 or IPAD 6 rumours have it APPLE may use lightning headphones, I went What. probably speculation but lets see.... I hope not or at least I hope they release an adaptor for my array of phonos
i have a Samsung 10.1 tablet which sounds ok, but is nowhere near the IPhone 5s in terms of pure soundquality. The 6 will still have headphone socket but there will be the possibility to use the lightning socket, Philips jumped on this wagon and will have headphone model with lighting connector

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 172
i looked everywhere and cannot find the model of the DAC used, only that it uses a S-master Digital HX amplifier. I hope the DAC is good, if not i will just stick with my ifi audio iDSD nano smartphone compatible DAC and amp and get the 1A if it is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back