Awesome budget component alert
Jun 15, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #76 of 107
double post
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #77 of 107
katsudon1,

Indeed the 300 and 700 series are the only models available in southeast asia. Note that the 300 is a dvd-v player and the 700 is a dvd-v/sacd player. Going by Tuberoller's impression in What Hifi I would say that the 700 has a very close resemblance to the us model 500 if not its equal.

Unfortunately, the 700 is almost USD500 where I live and most Sony products are not discounted. In my place, Sony does not live up to its price/performance monicker compared with the States. Bottom line is, for most of its products, pricewise, Sony sucks.

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #79 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I have a large mucic collection that inevitably includes a lot of scratched CDs.I keep these in a "junkpile" that I don't play anymore.I tried some of these Cds in the Sony and they played great.some are too far gone and will have to be junked .this is the only player that I have tried that will play any of these damaged Cds.

My wife bought me a Game DR MD that claims to repair scratched CDs. I have a few that i will try it on next week and report on it. I was at Circuit City yesterday and they had one Sony DVP-NS500V left in stock. It was only $170 so I picked it up. I have been listening through a Little amp and it sounds great.

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #80 of 107
I picked up the 500V at Good Guys today. I was so lucky the guy gave me $10 off so it only cost $169. I was having trouble getting sound, then I realized my electronic crossover was not turned on...duh.
I have not found a way to get analog out to tube stereo and digital out to my Onkyo DD at the same time. Sometimes I just use the Onkyo to watch movies or when it is too hot of a day to turn on the tube setup.
Tower has some SACD on sale for $15.99, and the rest are $19.99. This was the Tower on Bascom in San Jose.

I need to wait till I have the house by myself to test it out.
I have Santana Abraxis on CD, MFSL CD and SACD so it will be interesting to see the difference.
Thanks for the tip on this great unit.

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #81 of 107
I've lurked here a long time, and I'm very grateful for all I've learned, though it's impoverished me. I might finally have a tiny bit of info to give back to you guys.

Have you considered the SCD-CE775 instead of the NS500V? After reading this thread I scoured AudioAsylum and discovered a few posts that leaned toward the CE775, such as this one about specs, and this one about sound. (There are many more: just do a search on CE775, or NS500V for that matter.) In addition, the CE775 has a headphone jack and volume control. Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive ($200 in the U.S. is the cheapest I've found on the web), it doesn't do DVD, and it's been discontinued, so no doubt it will soon disappear, at least as a new item, if it hasn't already.

Incidentally, there's a guy, Matthew Anker, who does mods on both these units, at sacdmods.com. I've taken the plunge lock, stock and barrel: he's shipping me a modded CE775 sometime this week. I'll leave my impressions after it's broken in, though I'll only have my CAL DX1 to compare it to.

Thanks again,
Frank

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #83 of 107
I've picked up the audio only Sony SCD-CE775 at Circuit City a couple of days ago. It was their last one, show model and they couldn't find remote, manual, cables, box. So I just walked out with the unit itself for $119.97.

I'm still breaking it in, but it is a very serious player especially for the money. Built quality isn't anything to be proud of, but it has the same Burr Brown DACs as the ES line units. Redbook CDs are ok, too, although I'm not the right guy to test that since I'm a vinyl fan.
SACDs sound more like analog sound, but don't touch most of my records (although it's not a fair comparison, because my vinyl rig was much more expensive than this unit, heck I've spent almost twice as much for a record washing machine).

The headphone out doesn't do a good job with my AKG501s and the Etymotic 4P, but it's ok if you're on a budget. I'm using a Headroom Little and it's a nice budget bedroom combo.

If anybody is looking for dipping their toes into SACD, this is the unit.

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #84 of 107
I heard the 775 at an audio club meeting a few weeks ago.It did sound great in SACD mode and I think it too is an incredible bargain.None of the club members,including myself, was really impressed with redbook playback however.All the members did like the Ns-500 in redbook mode,noting a very detailed and sweet character.I think both of these players is a great deal and wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #85 of 107
would any of you recommend the ns500v for use as an audio only player? or would i be better suited to getting the 775 if i'm not going to use DVD (assuming they're about the same price)? or any other audio only player?

Jul 13, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #86 of 107
I just got my NS500v and I'm very impressed. It is immensely enjoyable to listen to. I've listened to my friend's 777ES but never A-B'd the two units.

I'm posting not just to say "me too!" but to point people to what I think is the best online deal for the NS500v: hificoncepts.com They are an authorized Sony dealer; they have them in stock for $145; shipping was reasonable ($10 for me) and *fast* (they delivered the day after I placed the order, several states away.) You can print out the "5 DVDs free" coupon from other sites.

I just thought this was a great deal that I wanted to share. I have absolutely no connection with the store other than this single purchase.

Jul 13, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #87 of 107
Somebody mentioned that these were discontinued, I think, but I was just in Circuit City the other day and it's still on sale there for $170. Just in case you can't wait for it to get shipped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #88 of 107
I think they are still being made, I just got the NS900P, the most expensive in the NSX00P range (multichannel SACD and progressive scan DVD) and I love it. It was on back order for a very long time, probably because Sony dropped the prices (the NSV900P went from $1000 to $600) on the whole line, but they are still in stock lots of places.

Jul 14, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #89 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by bearwise
I think they are still being made, I just got the NS900P, the most expensive in the NSX00P range (multichannel SACD and progressive scan DVD) and I love it. It was on back order for a very long time, probably because Sony dropped the prices (the NSV900P went from $1000 to $600) on the whole line, but they are still in stock lots of places.

At the NY Stereophile show I and a few other people were told that the NS 500V was being "phased out" along with the 900P and most of the DVD players.Some new models were on display but I did'nt see any specific replacements.This could all be wrong as well.I think manufacturer reps get a kick out misinforming audio show patrons and watching the rumors spead over the net.I witnessed a Denon rep lie to a guy about their coming SACD players with a big grin on his face.

Jul 14, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #90 of 107
Does the NS500 play DVD from any regions?

EDIT - help maybe needed from American head-fiers to purchase this unit then send it to Australia. I offer US$50 extra (not including the shipping charges which I will provide as well) for the trouble. Anyone interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back