Awesome budget component alert
Jul 14, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #91 of 107
I picked up the NS500V in the local Best Buy at $149 for an open box on Wednesday. I'm thinking it will replace the Pioneer I have hooked up to the D/IO. I have some Outlaws en route to connect it to the Corda. For SACD playback I'll use the analog outputs via the Grado interconnects to the Grado RA-1. I like the idea of having two amps hooked up simultaneously.

That's the plan. And Tuberoller, I am blaming you - but thanks anyway!
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #92 of 107
I got a NS500V to back up my 9000ES, which is getting a bit flaky identifying disks, and may need service soon. Rather than just having it sitting there, I took a look at unused stuff that was lying around and built a two-channel HT/headphone system...

Sony 27" TV
NS500V
Philips S-VHS
Melos SHA-1 (good thing nobody bought this
tongue.gif
)
Adcom GFA-535
KEF 101.1 speakers
Monster HTS-2500 power conditioner
Outlaw interconnects

Not a bad little setup put together from leftovers
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #93 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix
Does the NS500 play DVD from any regions?

No, AFAIK it only plays DVD from the region of purchase or Region 0. For other regions, I still have my Apex AD-600A...

Jul 14, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #94 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Not a bad little setup put together from leftovers
wink.gif

man, i wish i was your son/cousin/nephew/very close neighbor..
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #95 of 107
Quote:

help maybe needed from American head-fiers to purchase this unit then send it to Australia. I offer US$50 extra (not including the shipping charges which I will provide as well) for the trouble. Anyone interested?

Anyone interested in helping me out in return for some cool $$$?

Jul 15, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by ChenaynayC
That's the plan. And Tuberoller, I am blaming you - but thanks anyway!
biggrin.gif

How you doin'?(in that Joey Tribioni voice).I'm sorry that you got pulled in.You did good.This ain't a bad player.The flaws are few,the benefits are many and the price is right.

Jul 15, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #97 of 107
Quote:

Anyone interested in helping me out in return for some cool $$$?

I didn't get your last PM because my inbox was full...I've cleaned it out now - try sending your message again.

thanks.

Jul 24, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #99 of 107
Heads-up fellow Aussies!

NAD c521i (raved bloody everywhere) is selling at Sydney for AUD$449 (approx US$240)!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

NAD c541- AUD$699

These prices are way cheaper than UK!

EDIT- Basement Hi-Fi (York St, Sydney CBD) is selling the C521i for AUD$400 and the C541i for $600

Jul 28, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #100 of 107
Update;

I bought quite a few of these players to loan to customers and friends to demo amps,speakers etc.I have found that there is an audio filter function in the unit that is designed to reduse noise or "sharpness".This function is acessed through the on-screen menu and a "sharp" and "slow" setting can be selected.This function works on all discs except for SACDs.Do not use the filter.I have seen at least two units where the filter was in the "slow" position causing poor sound quality on cd playback.

As a side note,i have been visting my friends at local audio stores and have found this unit being used in all types of equipment displays.Decibel Audio,Saturday Audio Exchange,Symphony Sound and at least two other stores have mulitiple units installed in speaker and amp demo systems.I think this is further testament to the sound of this player.

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #101 of 107
Quote:

Does the NS500 play DVD from any regions?

If that's the sort of player you want, you might be interested in the Malata 520 or (discontinued) N996. Both play all regions and do PAL/NTSC conversion and X-Y scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs. The most reputable importer would seem to be Next Big Thing Electronics.

Aug 3, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #103 of 107
I have been playing around a lot with the NS500V and have found that damping and isolation work very well for this player.I was moving a few turntables around and temporarily placed the Sony on a wall mounted turntable bracket.It was then isolated from the bass reverberations of my speakers and this made a noticeble improvement.I decided to further isolate the player with some sandbags and sorbogel mats and found them both to offer slight improvements as well.This experiment has proven to me that the transpost on the Sony is it's major weakness.Even the tweakers agree.Still not bad for the money

Aug 10, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #104 of 107
I was wandering around Best Buy yesterday and saw that the NS500V is now going for $129. At this price it is hard not to buy one.

I picked one up for $40 more a while back and have been pleased with its performance for both audio and video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back