Awesome budget component alert
Jun 10, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #46 of 107
I think this may be the solution to my dilemma... You see, I'm having trouble deciding whether to go with an Arcam CD player(CD72 or Alpha 9) or try to bargain Music Direct down a bit on a Phillips SACD-1000. Of course, the Arcam has better Redbook playback, and I have a lot of redbooks and no SACDs. However, with SACD being the up and coming format and the 500V being a seriously affordable player, I can get both!

Now I just gotta see if I can get the salesguy at Hawthorne to take $150 off the CD72 price...

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #47 of 107
Based on the positive comments on the ns500v, i picked one up about 6 weeks ago as a crutchfield scratch and dent (unit looks like new to me) as I was curious to hear some of the multichannel SACDs I have. I also was looking for a back up DVD player. My current rig has a 333ES SACD hooked up to a Full Nelson Link DAC for redbook. Anyway fresh out of the box the little 6 pound Sony sounded less than impressive. SACDs fared somewhat better than redbook but the bass was nowhere to be found and the soundstage was fairly small and firmly anchored to each speaker. Hoping burn-in would help (the 333ES changed quite a bit over several months of use) I let it play several hours a day for several weeks (about a month) then put it back into the main rig. It is a different beast now after the burn in. The sound is full and rich with both SACD and redbook. Soundstage is wide and deep - very liquid and lush. The little guy really gives the 333ES/Full Nelson a run for the money. The 500V gives up a smidge in the detail department but it is so smooth and easy to listen to. There seems to be some confusion over the 2CH/Multi layer swithing...it can be done with the remote using the 2ch/mulit button if you stop the disk first (may hae to hit stop twice if the playback resume function is on)..no video monitor is needed. It's off the scale in terms of value....a nice little player for sure!

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #48 of 107
Ok,I feel goofy now.indeed switching between multi-channel and 2 channel can be done via the remote without a TV monitor.Like TB1 says,the disc has to be stopped.I still don't like the fact that there is no auto-switching.This is also not mentioned anywhere in the manual.My father has accused me of "pimping" this CDP.that was last week,I haven't heard from him since then when I gave him one for a gift.if he didn't like it he would have called to give me **** by now.We have such differing tastes as far as equipment goes, we rarely like the same gear.His taste is those huge Krell solid state amps and Old Quad Electrostats.

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #50 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
What is the video like coming out of the Sony DVP-NS500V?

Who cares? SACD for $170!! :wink:

It's likly comperable to everything out there in that price range. The best video comes from Progressive outputs into an HD set. This doesn't have progressive and the fact is if you can afford a HD set and a progressive DVDP you can afford a better SACD unit. :wink:

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 107
The video of the NS500V is very good for a non-progressive player. If you have a 4:3 TV, Sony is well known for it's "film like" smooth artifact free playback. It also has built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, as well as, SPDIF (coax) and toslink digital outputs.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #53 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007

Where can you get it for 170? I hope this hasn't been discussed up in the 50 posts before me. I don't remember reading it up there.

I believe someone up there said somthing about picking one up at Circuit City for around $160-170.

yeah, here it is:

Quote:

Originally posted by beni

FYI, I picked up one of these at Circuit City for $159 a few days ago. It was marked at $209 but rang up $50 cheaper. So then I spent $45 on the first two SACDs of my soon-to-be library.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #54 of 107
I got mine at Good Guys in Bellevue Washngton. It's listed for $179 the Best Buy website and Circuit City has it listed on the website for $175. It's discontinued so not everybody has it. Magnolia Hi Fi out here has it for $299. Call around?

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #55 of 107
FYI, the current Absolute Sound that is out on the shelves right now has reviews on both the NS500V and the CE775. Both are also compared in a short and sweet style to the 9000ES.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #56 of 107
Sounds like typical Magnolia hi-fi prices. On the other hand, their bellevue store does have an orpheus on display, so maybe they're not all bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I went to best buy in Federal Way they were out and had no place on the shelf for the player at all, so this might be something to pick up pretty soon before it disappears everywhere.

Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
I got mine at Good Guys in Bellevue Washngton. It's listed for $179 the Best Buy website and Circuit City has it listed on the website for $175. It's discontinued so not everybody has it. Magnolia Hi Fi out here has it for $299. Call around?

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #57 of 107
Magnolia sells at full retail.
mad.gif

And the Big O is no more- it got sent back to Big Mama Sennheiser a while ago.

Wait... you call yourself a headphile and you didn't even notice the Orpheus was gone!?! Shame on you!

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #58 of 107
Mine arrived from Vanns a couple days ago; haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but I like the setup for DVD and SACD.

If you're in the Bay Area, Fry's has it on sale for $179. Looks like it's available for a good price all over.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #59 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Magnolia sells at full retail.
mad.gif

And the Big O is no more- it got sent back to Big Mama Sennheiser a while ago.

Wait... you call yourself a headphile and you didn't even notice the Orpheus was gone!?! Shame on you!

That sucks...what a bunch of tards. I don't get over to the eastside very often...the bridge traffic is terrible. I was looking forward to going over there now that I have a couple of SACDs to really give the phones some good material to show off what they can do. Oh well.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #60 of 107
What are some good places to shop for gear in and around Seattle. I'm in Redmond and went to Magnolia Hi-Fi and Definative Audio last week looking for the Sony and some headphones/headphone amps. After being totally ignored for 15 minutes I just left. Except for home theater stuff they seemed lacking in components. I'm going for the Corda HA-1 and the Senn HD-600 from Meier Audio but wanted to check around locally first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back