Awesome bargain headphone alert!!
Aug 6, 2005 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
Today I bought an AKG K26p for my wife's Dell DJ20, as she wanted closed headphones but small enough to not stick out. Since I could get them for $40 at the local Guitar Center (and I thought the K24 sounded pretty darn good a t a recent meet), we decided to give them a try.

Straight out of the box, they sounded quite fantastic, much better than I had expected. The first things you notice are the trademark fantastic AKG midrange, these definitely show their lineage here (think K271-esque), and a great powerful bass that I definitely did not expect from an AKG product. The soundstage is also nicely focused, better than I would have expected from sub $50 cans. After some further listening, I continued to be impressed, noting that the attack and decay are quite well balanced for a nice detail delivery. The only fault I could find on these cans sonically is that the soundstage is not HUGE, nor is the treble fully extended as one would expect from the best headphones, but these are the types of criticism I would expect to level against $100+ cans, not sub $50 cans.

The fit is quite nice, and is very easy to put them on properly, unlike their relatively bass-less counterparts, the PX200. They do feel a bit lightly built, but considering the price it is hard to fault them for this.

In the end, however, I think what really impresses me about these little cans is that they just play MUSIC and a very fun and enjoyable natural sounding fashion that I never would have thought could be in such a cheap pair of CLOSED headphones. I can think of a number of highly regarded, more expensive cans I would easily pass over in order to listen to these (MDR-V6/7506, HD280pro, K240S, HD497, SR60/80, ER4, E2, E3, PX200, ATH-CM7, Portapro, HFI650/700). I think for their price they are definitely a cut above highly recommended cans like the KSC35/75 and PX100. Considering that they are closed and highly portable (not to mention super-easy to drive), just really puts the icing on the cake. If I had to have a pair of sub $50 cans, the AKG K26p would definitely be my choice, and perhaps even for sub $100 cans. Bravo AKG!

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 50
lol i was just at the guitar center last nite. first time checking out the manhattan store - the guy i talked to there looked embarassed to work there, he called it the Wal-mart of music stores, and told me to just sell my used stuff on ebay because that place wouldn't give a decent price. and he was rolling his eyes at some guy trying to play a led zep tune pumped to 11 on a AC30, ugh.

so i headed down to the headphones. they had the cans you mentioned, plus sony.bose crap, and a HD280, the DT770/80, and AKG240S too. not a bad spread. plus i picked up a glossy cardboard stock flyer for a line of cheap blue plastic ultrasone cans.

it didn't have the charm of Dan's Chelsea Guitars, but it sure had volume lol.

anyhow i wonder if i can hold out with my KSC-35s until the SR40 comes out - having the pad fall out everytime i try to put them on is starting to get annoying. maybe the AKG is the way to go - or i could just go padless, or find pads with the elastic band that would snap over the housing. anywhere know where i can get that kind of pad?

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 50
How do you compare them with the Protapros? Which are the main differences? I'm asking as i need something for portable use, and for that price....but given that Koss has lifetime warranty and for a non very durable product, "that feature" IMO is really nice to beat.

But serious how is it compared wiht the Portapros

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
How do you compare them with the Protapros? Which are the main differences? I'm asking as i need something for portable use, and for that price....but given that Koss has lifetime warranty and for a non very durable product, "that feature" IMO is really nice to beat.

But serious how is it compared wiht the Portapros

I haven't heard a ton of the PP's, but I was not impressed with what I heard. The bass on these isn't as loud, but to me is much more detailed and integrated with the overall sound in a way that while the bass is nice and powerful, it doesn't get in the way of the nice mids and overall musicality. I prefer the fit and isolation these provide to that of the PP as well.

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 50
Sounds like a sweet set of phones for the money. They are in the same price range as the Porta Pros and PX 100s...I wonder which one sounds the best? Probably depends on preference, like all other things on this site.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I haven't heard a ton of the PP's, but I was not impressed with what I heard. The bass on these isn't as loud, but to me is much more detailed and integrated with the overall sound in a way that while the bass is nice and powerful, it doesn't get in the way of the nice mids and overall musicality. I prefer the fit and isolation these provide to that of the PP as well.

Yep the PP is a little on the bass bloated side, but for portable non audipphile use, they are OK IMO, I use thme directly out of the D33 and they work fine, for the rest of the more serious audition, I have the "other option" BTW I got the PP for 20.00 on a sale, but anyway if the AKG are better sounding we will give it a shot to see....Do you know if they can be removed from the case or box to try them before, or what???

BTW how is the size compare with PP also??? They are closed, but if they are the size of the PP they should be supraural, right? How could they offer a good isolation then???

Aug 6, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Yep the PP is a little on the bass bloated side, but for portable non audipphile use, they are OK IMO, I use thme directly out of the D33 and they work fine, for the rest of the more serious audition, I have the "other option" BTW I got the PP for 20.00 on a sale, but anyway if the AKG are better sounding we will give it a shot to see....Do you know if they can be removed from the case or box to try them before, or what???

BTW how is the size compare with PP also??? They are closed, but if they are the size of the PP they should be supraural, right? How could they offer a good isolation then???

The guys at guitar center would not open the package for me since it is the blister-pack type, but they told me I could return it within 30 days if we did not like it so I went for it. The size is about the same as the PP, just with the earcups being differently shaped, but about the same total size in the end. They offer decent isolation, which is to say not a whole lot considering how small they are and that they are supra-aural. It is perhaps slightly better isolation than the PX200 due to the better seal, but most closed full-size cans would beat it. It is good for blocking out TV or people talking, if not playing super-quiet music, but I don't think it would do much on a bus/subway, other than prevent others from having to hear your music as they would with open cans.

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Today I bought an AKG K26p for my wife's Dell DJ20, as she wanted closed headphones but small enough to not stick out. Since I could get them for $40 at the local Guitar Center (and I thought the K24 sounded pretty darn good a t a recent meet), we decided to give them a try.

Straight out of the box, they sounded quite fantastic, much better than I had expected. The first things you notice are the trademark fantastic AKG midrange, these definitely show their lineage here (think K271-esque), and a great powerful bass that I definitely did not expect from an AKG product. The soundstage is also nicely focused, better than I would have expected from sub $50 cans. After some further listening, I continued to be impressed, noting that the attack and decay are quite well balanced for a nice detail delivery. The only fault I could find on these cans sonically is that the soundstage is not HUGE, nor is the treble fully extended as one would expect from the best headphones, but these are the types of criticism I would expect to level against $100+ cans, not sub $50 cans.

The fit is quite nice, and is very easy to put them on properly, unlike their relatively bass-less counterparts, the PX200. They do feel a bit lightly built, but considering the price it is hard to fault them for this.

In the end, however, I think what really impresses me about these little cans is that they just play MUSIC and a very fun and enjoyable natural sounding fashion that I never would have thought could be in such a cheap pair of CLOSED headphones. I can think of a number of highly regarded, more expensive cans I would easily pass over in order to listen to these (MDR-V6/7506, HD280pro, K240S, HD497, SR60/80, ER4, E2, E3, PX200, ATH-CM7, Portapro, HFI650/700). I think for their price they are definitely a cut above highly recommended cans like the KSC35/75 and PX100. Considering that they are closed and highly portable (not to mention super-easy to drive), just really puts the icing on the cake. If I had to have a pair of sub $50 cans, the AKG K26p would definitely be my choice, and perhaps even for sub $100 cans. Bravo AKG!

Amen. Exactly how i felt when i first got them and they sound better now. Bass has mellowed a bit to just right. When i first read the title, i thought they were selling the HD650 or something equivalent at half price or something..hehe

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 50
would these be better that sony V6 for rap music. im in the market for a good pair of closed portable phones

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
would these be better that sony V6 for rap music. im in the market for a good pair of closed portable phones

I personally find the V6 virtually unlistenable due to their extreme sibilance, and these have a more cohesive, musical sound, however, I'm not sure if the bass is quite as big as the V6's, so if you're a basshead it might not be worth the swap. Also, the V6 has a bit more isolation, if that is critical. I haven't listened to any rap on the K26, but some trance did sound very good with tight impactful bass that got my groove on
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Are the mids of the K26's upfront like KSCs or Grados?

Thanks-

They're pretty upfront, but not as much as those cans, certainly not as much as Grados. The bass is about equally as prominent. Voices easily jump out at you, but don't feel as close (and hence sibilant) as they do on Grados. In fact I recally nary any sibilance at all yet with the K26p's,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back