Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 22
What is a car with wings, Alex?

End.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 22
arrow-description_lg_5.jpg

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 22
Huh?
Even Wikipedia didn't help me understand this thread.
And then I looked and it wasn't even Patrick or Kirosia.
What has gone wrong with the world?

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 22
Basically a ****ty conservative government won the election during the time the Avro Arrow was a current project, they decided it was a waste of money and had the project scrapped and destroyed. Which led to the loss of thousands of jobs(30k+) and the end of the an era where Canada had produced the most advanced supersonic fighter jet in the world.

But a bunch of the engineers who had a big part in the arrow moved on to work for NASA and facilitated many of the first shuttle launches.

Basically it is a big black mark on the Canadian government's record according to many Canadians.

Oh and this is a very very large political type topic so i don't think this thread will work out too well.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The answer is obviously 42.
End

And by power of deduction, the question is: "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Can we talk about the Arrow aircraft itself and not the gov?
Wikipedia said it could go M2. No. It went M2 during test flight. The twin Iroquois engines can make the Arrow go M7.
More, the Arrow is not a fighter, but an interceptor.
Scrapped... there is one left. I don't know where. Maybe it's been taken down to parts, but there is one left. We put the parts together, fill her up, she flies. Boom. Mach 7.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 22
Besides mentioning an airplane I have no idea what this is all about...

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 22
I read about the Avro Arrow in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (excellent book, BTW), and it seemed like an awesome plane. Too bad it got scrapped.
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wikipedia said it could go M2. No. It went M2 during test flight. The twin Iroquois engines can make the Arrow go M7.
Scrapped... there is one left. I don't know where. Maybe it's been taken down to parts, but there is one left. We put the parts together, fill her up, she flies. Boom. Mach 7.

I don't think there are any originals left, they were all destroyed except for the front end at the aviation museum in Ottawa. They did make a replica, but it's just a replica no working engines.

Fighter, interceptor, semantics. It's a supersonic jet capable of being armed.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mach 7 in the 50's? That would have meant over 5000 mph. I seriously doubt it would ever have made that speed seeing that NASA just made that record officially back in '04 with the X-43A sans pilot.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 22
Mach 2 was what they were trying to break they reached Mach 1.98 at 3/4 throttle apparently, and that was their first engines the Mark 2 was what they were working on when the program was scrapped which was supposed to blow that away.

Saying it can go Mach 7 is quite presumptuous and not at all based on any facts.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 22
Saying that it could go M7 did not originate from me. I know people in both the USAF and the Canadian AF. Canadians, to avoid too much attention, understated the Iroquois engine specs and did not unleash the engines' full power during test flight. However, accrding to my American insider, (not classified info so relax) the USAF found out somehow, got upset, and pretty much forced the Canadians to abandon the project.
The survivor: this, according to the Canadian insider, he heard from ex-engineers that it was highly probable that one single model was hidden by people who knew that other Arrows will be scrapped. Nobody knows where it is. For all I know, its' parts may be scattered all over Canada. But there is one. Intact or not. Hidden. Arrow is a marvel, radically advanced for its time, Americans got afeared, stuff. I'm not saying that the Arrow can go up against F-22s, but if the project was not scrapped, the Canadian Air Force would have been the most powerful on this planet. And that, my friends, is not presumptuous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back