Avoiding a shorted turn toroid with adonized cases
Dec 31, 2007 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luvdunhill

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I have two stacked toroids in a case that are secured to the bottom of the case via a bolt. The top of the two toroids is secured using one of the metal dishes that often comes with toroids. Problem is, that the stack is really close to the top of the case... probably 0.25" clearance. The top is rather thin steel that is adonized. Question is, do I need some insulating to prevent a shorted turn, and if so, would a thick adhesive foam work?

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 5
I wasn't aware that steel could be anodised? At any rate, I wouldn't depend upon that if it was me doing it. How about using a nylon bolt? I assume that the washer has more clearance and that it is the bolt head you are concerned about?

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Unless the bolt/washer actually touch the top of the case, you are fine. There needs to be an electrically conductive turn to be a problem, and the .25" gap is plenty.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the bolt/washer actually touch the top of the case, you are fine. There needs to be an electrically conductive turn to be a problem, and the .25" gap is plenty.

actually, it was closer than that... I was worried about someone putting a heavy object on top of the case at a meet. I'm not sure if this is an immediate "boom" type of thing, but I didn't want to risk anything
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the rubber disks that should be between the toroid and the case bottom and the toroid and metal washer on top?

yup, but this doesn't prevent this problem unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't aware that steel could be anodised? At any rate, I wouldn't depend upon that if it was me doing it. How about using a nylon bolt? I assume that the washer has more clearance and that it is the bolt head you are concerned about?

yes! this worked well! thank you! I wasn't aware that nylon bolts were so strong! I wasn't worried about the bolt head, but the metal dish thingy... let's just say it was cutting it too close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back