Avoid Internet Explorer 6.5
Oct 29, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 31
Installed Firebird after reading a previous post. I don't know what the problem is, but when I run Firebird it takes at least three times as long to load as IE. Is this normal? Do I need to install the plug-ins?

Oct 29, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 31
Installed K-Meleon few minutes ago. Fastest loading browser I've ever tried. Will definitely keep this on my computer.

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
"even better than firebird (imo) http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net "

Thanks TimSchirmer.

I do see a few problems with the layout of the interface, but I'll speriment with the skins.

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:43 AM Post #20 of 31
The reason why it's slow is because it had to fix lots and lots of bugs from previous versions. Unless you have no fear of being hacked, attacked and viruses appearing, go ahead and use unupdated IE versions. If you want fast, try firebird or something.. not that it's going to work properly though.

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by flipzter
Installed Firebird after reading a previous post. I don't know what the problem is, but when I run Firebird it takes at least three times as long to load as IE. Is this normal? Do I need to install the plug-ins?

From the discussions at www.mozillazine.org, Firebird tends to be disproportionately slow in older machines (CPU slower than 1Ghz, less than 128MB ram), and users of such machines are often happier with Opera (or perhaps with IE)

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 31
I just tried K-Meleon. It's noticibly faster than IE. I'm already running a fast computer and my cache is in a RAM drive. Most of the wait is in making server connections. The rendering speed is nearly instantaneous now.

Oct 30, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
So can Firebird be used with XP? If so, I'll give it a shot.

JC

Sure! The latest 0.7 "milestone release" of Firebird is a very well-behaved piece of software and is certainly worth a try; and if you're feeling adventurous, you can find various "fresh-off-the-press" and "optimised" versions of firebird here

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 31
on tim's suggestion i did try k-meleon and it is damn fast. apparently it's made specifically for that. i nuked it for firebird though, as i really just enjoyed the interface a lot more. i could probably get used to k-meleon if i really wanted though. i think i'll wait for them to fix some things first though.

my machine at home is a dual 933 pentium3 (oldy but goody) and my workstation is pentium3 1ghz and i have no problems with firebird, though things are not instantaneous.

Oct 31, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #27 of 31
After more than a year of using IE 6.0 and Netscape 7.x, I've decided to give Mozilla Firebird a spin. You see, I've never upgraded my IE to 6.5 - and never will.

My impressions: So far, so good - and without the bloat of Netscape 7.x, which is based on a version of Mozilla.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #29 of 31
The version of Firebird that I'm running is 0.7. There is a version 0.7.1 specifically for MacOS users.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #30 of 31
I prefer Mozilla (the new 1.5 version is excellent). Internet explorer can still be useful for tweaking your internet connection since microsoft integrated the browser into the windows operating sytem.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back