AVG Antivirus free edition does not remove virus ???
Feb 13, 2006 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok guys, I just changed my antivirus program to AVG antivirus free edition. So far it has been detected the same virus 3 times and it does nothing. Is Avg free edition only for detecting? It doesn't even put it in the virus vault. I guess I expect too much for a free edition. If I have to buy an antivirus program, I prefer to get a kapersky instead.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 41
you know what works? PandaSoftware. i'm using a trial version, and it FINALLY got rid of some serious crap that's been hanging on my comp for months now. none of the anti spyware programs could get to it (adaware, etc) but Panda could. Nice job!

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 41
I had that same thing happen to me along time ago with AVG.It told me i had a virus but could not remove it.I lokked up the virus online and seen it was a java virus.After much research i found answeres from others that had a similar java virus.The solution was to go to control panel > Java > delete files because that is where the virus was loaded.

You might want to try that and see after you do another scan.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 41
Step 1/ Make a search on google with the name of your detected virus. There is perhaps a stand alone cleaner for it, released by one of the big guys.

Step 2/ Replace AVG by Avast. The interface of Avast is terrible but it's working better in my experience.

But I wouldn't stop you to buy Kasersky if you have important data on your computer.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 41
Gabe Logan: the same thing happened to me a few days ago, except that i simply went into the java directory via AVG and deleted them on the spot. Re-ran another scan and no more viruses.

Oh is your username from Syphon Filter?

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 41
That is my real name.Kind of funny actually since i too work for the government as an agent out to rid the world of terror.Mara still evades me.

Had you there for a second
biggrin.gif
.Yes it's from Syphon Filter.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you know what works? PandaSoftware. i'm using a trial version, and it FINALLY got rid of some serious crap that's been hanging on my comp for months now. none of the anti spyware programs could get to it (adaware, etc) but Panda could. Nice job!

Panda is excellent. AVG missed a couple on my computer but panda active scan picked them up straight away, it also found a few trojans, the free panda active scan can be found here..... well worth a second opinion, you'll be surprised what it finds.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 41
AVG is a good program, but you usually have to run it on startup to eliminate the virus rather than wait for the boxes to pop up.

Currently, I'm using AVAST and while it uses a few more resources than AVG it's a little more sensitive to viruses.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 41
I have been using Norton all my life with no problems so far, for spy-ware and ad-ware removal I use other free programs.

I have never had any virus problem, and my edition is an old one, not the latest...People is really reluctant to use it, mainly because of space, they argue that Norton is bulky, which is true, but OTOH I have 40Gb hard drive only, and I can assure you that space is not an issue...

Tried Karpeski once and ended formatting my PC, horrible IMO, it got all the machine stocked, and even after removal was still stocked, so format c: was the only solution viable....I'm not saying that all the Karpeski users are wrong of course, but for me was an only one trial error and period, never again....

Also Microsoft is going to release an integrated solution soon, at least that is the rumor, not sure how good or bad it will be....

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
AVG is a horrible antivirus solution. Switch to something more credible.

I would like to know why you think AVG is a horrible antivirus.

There are lots of viruses that are loaded at startup which prevents AVG from deleting it. Whenever I find a virus on my computer, I do a quick search on google. Most likely others have had the same virus with instructions on how to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back