Dec 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 270

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
The reviews are being posted all over. What did you think? What did you like? Does it change how we think about movies? Let's get some opinions.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 270
85% from Rotten Tomatoes and that is very good.

Avatar Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

I will have to see it before I make any judgement. Saw the half hour 3d promo a few months ago and it looked stunning. It had some of the most convincing motion capture footage I have ever seen. Not perfect and some characters still looked zombie like but were way better than films like Final Fantasy or Polar Express (Please don't mention Gollum as an example because most of the good stuff was hand animated
normal_smile .gif
). Don't know if it is a good film or not but I am interested anyway.
It is going to be a big hit.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 270
My impressions from the "Rate the last movie you watched thread" because I cbf writing new ones:

"The visuals were amazing, yes. The attention to detail, the sheer immersion of the environment was incredible. I really did get lost in the world of Pandora. I have never seen 3D done so well before either. Sunbeams looked especially amazing, and there was always something going on that helped to make the world so believable. The facial animations too were top notch and they helped portray emotion on the animated characters faces.

As for the movie itself, not too bad either. Sure the story was rather predictable, but I didn't find myself thinking much about that since I was blown away by the rest of it. Even though it was formulaic, it was extremely well done. Certain scenes had a pretty big emotional effect on me and I even found myself thinking about the morals of what was happening. Battle scenes were suitable intense and epic, as to be expected.

One of the best films of the year for me."

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the kind of movie that will look awesome on a Bluray with 50" plasma.

Indeed. If only we can get decent 3d on TV it will be even better. In a few years' time...

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 270
I really don't plan on watching Avatar, mainly because why should I be watching a movie when I could be playing a videogame?
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the kind of movie that will look awesome on a Bluray with 50" plasma.

No not at all... this is the kind of movie you should see at a 3D cinema not on a 50" plasma at home.

Spex video games directly tied to movies suck with a 90 % failure rate... There is a few exceptions though like Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 270
I watched in in IMAX 3D last night.

Not my thing, unfortunately. I love some James Cameron movies, not a hater at all. I loved Aliens and The Abyss beyind words when I was younger. But Avatar seemed like a lot of spectacle on top of a lot of cliches.

And pretty predictable, with very little insight. I don't think anyone can't guess the plot after the first 20 or so minutes.

That said, the 3D was stunning, visual were beautiful. Was worth the Imax admission for that alone (around 8USD here in the Philippines).

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 270
Just got home from the cinema, WOW still on a big high from the experience. Right now I’d have to say it’s one of my favourite movies of ALL TIME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back