Avantone : Pro Planar
Sep 9, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,441 of 1,500
Hi, I've just ordered a pair of Planar Pros - got a good offer on fleabay for a new black pair. Serial # >800, so hopefully with the metal headband revision.
Really looking forward to hearing these - my first planars.
What's the current thinking on pads? Can anyone link me to a recommendation?
TIA, Haden
Very nice, you'll probably be surprised by them.
About pads, probably the best you can get is the Acoustic Research AR-H1 Faux Leather Earpads which are very similar in shape to the original (these pads can be obtained for fairly cheap on places like aliexpress.
You will need Velcro to attach them however, the process is covered in this video

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,442 of 1,500
I am thinking about getting a pair but I heard that the pads are not very roomy and ears can touch the driver. Despite having rather small ears I experienced this issue in Sundara which caused some pain and fatigue on hot spots. Is the comfort better than Sundara? I could also get these Acoustic Research pads if they improve on comfort.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,443 of 1,500
I am thinking about getting a pair but I heard that the pads are not very roomy and ears can touch the driver. Despite having rather small ears I experienced this issue in Sundara which caused some pain and fatigue on hot spots. Is the comfort better than Sundara? I could also get these Acoustic Research pads if they improve on comfort.
I've a pair for sale if you do decide you want a pair.

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #1,446 of 1,500
Depends on your ear shape, but for me personally, I had no comfort issues with the Sundara's pads. In comparison, the Avantone's pads were just barely on the edge of feeling cramped. The weight of the headphones is more of an issue for me though than the pads.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,447 of 1,500
Comfort on the Pro Planar was worse than the Sundara for me.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,448 of 1,500
I am using them again for a couple of days, but to me they need some EQ. But they take EQ very well.
Without EQ I find them to sound a bit hollow and shouty at the same time. With EQ, a preset that is made by a user on this thread (I have forgotten his username, but he made some mods as well) they sound absolutely marvelous,

1695401752326.png

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,449 of 1,500
I am using them again for a couple of days, but to me they need some EQ. But they take EQ very well.
Without EQ I find them to sound a bit hollow and shouty at the same time. With EQ, a preset that is made by a user on this thread (I have forgotten his username, but he made some mods as well) they sound absolutely marvelous,

1695401752326.png
And then a couple of days later you find out that they sound much better without EQ. My own ears aren't always that reliable :)

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,450 of 1,500
Just an odd little post about an odd litle thing in Avantone World. (Wasn't sure where to put this, since I didn't find much post activity on the MP-1 on the site, so: tangent alert :p )

A couple of months back I picked up a set of Planar IIs, and I'm really enjoying them. Enough so that I recently grabbed an MP1 for tracking. Right out of the box I was getting a weird presentation as if the mix was massively phase-cancelled (or something) - the bass tracks on the recordings I sampled were gone along with what sounded like a good portion of the rest of the center-panned portion of the mix (not to mention that the tuning switches were all out of whack as well). This was the case with both of the provided cables.

So I did a little trouble-shooting - swapped another set of cans onto the source (RME ADI2-DAC) - problem went away. Connected the MP1 to my Android phone through a Truthear Shio dongle and listened to the same tracks - the sound was back to normal. A-ha - time to swap out the 3.5mm to 6.25mm adapter included in the box. Result? Even though I didn't have a screw-on type readily available to match the OG part, the random spare I snapped on worked just fine, and the mix sounded right through the ADI-2. Never saw that one before, and I wouldn't have thought there was all that much that could go wrong on that type off adapter, but obviously that was the source of the oddity. Anyway, thought I'd share in case somebody else runs into a similar problem - spare them the angst-ridden call to customer service, lol.

Cheers!

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,451 of 1,500
The imaging of these headphones is superb, resulting in a true sense of soundstage with remarkable depth and layering. They perform better than the HD650s and R70Xs in this aspect. Their timbre is smoother as well, but they do have a bit of shout in the mids. Musically I think they are on par with both the R70xs and HD650s. Technically they are bit more accomplished.

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #1,452 of 1,500
Alright, check this out, if you guys want to hear some true bass madness, get your hands on Edge of Tomorrow (2014, 1080p BluRay, DTS-HD MA audio) (NOT the 4k, as they did a high-pass filter on it) and listen from 22s to 40s. There is a massive bass sweep from 10Hz with infrasonics at 15, 20, 25, and 30Hz. Now, I have my HPs modded to have large perforated leather pads, and attached it to the driver via sound absorbing putty so I have a decent seal, so when the bass hits, it goes LOW and it plays VERY clean. It's tight, detailed, and very satisfying.

Now, if you have the system to handle it (this WILL destroy your speakers if you are not passing the LFE properly as it sends the 10Hz to both the sub and the center channel) and have subs which can play 10Hz at -5dB from reference, try it out after you listen to it on the headphones. I played it with my friend and it wobbled everything in the apartment - doors started creaking and opening, glass started rumbling, mounts started resonating. Nothing compares to the sub, but the point I'm trying to make here is the tonality and accuracy of the bass this HP can reproduce is on the level of a balls-to-the-wall sub, short of building shaking bass which is only possible with 15"+ drivers.

Attachments

• EoT Bass.jpeg
    EoT Bass.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,454 of 1,500
Maybe it was the airgap issues with the pads, but I have never seen or experienced this and I tried them with super low info – honestly hard to believe a velcro attached, square, velour pad will have that kind of low frequency reproduction. Are you using a modded pair?
PXL_20211023_153348484.jpg

I sealed the gap with sound dampening putty, pads are leather with perforated inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back