Avantone : Pro Planar
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,411 of 1,500
Try putting perforated leather pads on these, it works wonders IMO for improving bass impact and I would even say imaging as well. It slightly tames the overall tonality too, which is not a bad change.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for the pads?

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,412 of 1,500
It's funny you should mention ASMR specifically, i tried some ASMR stuff like with crumpling paper, binural stuff (like the virtual barber shop) and the sense of space is so accurate with these headphones. There were a few times where i jumped because the audio reproduction was just that accurate.
My favourite binaural demo for these is definitely this video It's a walk around New York City in binaural audio, try it for yourself.

Sometimes I get scared because I think the sound is coming from in my room, a testament to the imaging and soundstage

I've been going back and forth between these, T60 Argon, and modded T50RP, and ofc my speakers. Yeah the fostex hps with ZMF pads and leather straps are comfy, but the sound quality is not good compared to these, and it makes complete sense: aging foster planar, closed back design, lowered high end=smooth but dull experience.

That being said, comfort>>>>sound quality, so I did mod these for aftermarket pads+headband because the vanilla avantone is garbage after wearing it for an hour.

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,414 of 1,500
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for the pads?
I got these aftermarket Focal pads, they work pretty well with the Avantone but the bass could be more pronounced (it's still better than stock IMO).
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/265943693971
(pick the fenestrated sheepskin option)

Ideally I would say you want slightly deeper and more oval pads, like the Sennheiser HD600 pads from ZMF
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-hd6xx-sub-pads

Maybe I'll get these one day, though they're a bit pricey. There aren't many options for perforated leather pads unfortunately. Then there's also the issue of how to attach them if you want to use them permanently.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,415 of 1,500
Well, I got my Planar Black last week and yesterday I started the exploration of them...

First the bad and ugly topics:
  • Smell and evaporation of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) - non of my other headsets has this strong and strange smell (comes from the ear pads and headband) - I really wonder that nobody tells you this in the reviews as these could be also poisoning!
  • Right ear pad just fall off - I grabbed the headset at the headband and the right ear pad just fall off! The glue still look sticky and I pressed it back in place - hope it will stay there.
  • Included cables are stiff and microphonic - basically unusable - need to use another cable (good that it's standard 3.5mm).
  • Already known from reviews: very heavy and does not stay in place when you move your head
To me it looks like the quality standards are quite low at Avantone... :deadhorse:

Now the first sound impressions:
  • Overall the Planar sound balanced with reduced heights - not as dark as HD650 but in this direction
  • The (deep) lows are rounded and not very present - overall the lows are a bit muddy
  • The mids have a little harsh "add-on" - this gives woman voices a forwarding sound, but also removes the smoothness of the mids
Compared to the Meze 109 Pro the Planar sound is quite disappointing!

Given the evaporation and bad smell, I could only test a half hour - will do more when the VOCs are evaporated (in a few weeks hopefully).
I hope that a burn-in will tune the sound a bit into the right direction - otherwise the Planar will be soon on sale...
After approx. 5 weeks the bad evaporation of the pads finally lowered to a level where I could do more testing.

The default sound of the Planar Pro is still disappointing, but using EQ you can improve the sound - tested on my M6 Ultra - significantly. :thinking:

First I used the suggestion from @HardstyleLoco96 from his posting here - this EQ settings changes the sound for the better, but still not really revealing (compared to the Meze 109 Pro without EQ). :thumbsdown:

I gave another try to the Morphit function from USB Audio Player PRO with Headphone type: Avantone Planar and Target headphone type: Generic Harman AE/OE Target curve - this was surprisingly good - much better then EQ setting above. :sunglasses:
But still: Why should I EQ or Morph my headphones, if I can get better sounding ones without the changes? :deadhorse:

So, I have a pretty new (below 5 hours use) Planar Pro for sale... :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,416 of 1,500
I decided to try these headphones out a month ago and have become a fan of them. I record/mix/edit so I need a presentation which is relatively neutral. These have a good amount of detail and show the texture and timbre of things as well as the separation of sounds so it's pretty obvious to me how various recordings sound different. They are also pretty easy to mod as the access to the screws are right there so I've rewired them for balanced. I'm using them with the iFi Gryphon and it'd say it's a pretty good combo. It's pretty smooth sounding (meaning no harshness) and you can tweak as you see fit with the digital filters, the X-Space, and the X-BassII settings. Overall I'm pleased to have this as portable rig that's not so expensive. It's amazing what you get for your money nowadays.

I don't have an adapter to go back to single ended so can't compare how that sounds. I haven't listened to any other modern headphone in this setup so can't compare those sorry.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #1,417 of 1,500
I decided to try these headphones out a month ago and have become a fan of them. I record/mix/edit so I need a presentation which is relatively neutral. These have a good amount of detail and show the texture and timbre of things as well as the separation of sounds so it's pretty obvious to me how various recordings sound different. They are also pretty easy to mod as the access to the screws are right there so I've rewired them for balanced. I'm using them with the iFi Gryphon and it'd say it's a pretty good combo. It's pretty smooth sounding (meaning no harshness) and you can tweak as you see fit with the digital filters, the X-Space, and the X-BassII settings. Overall I'm pleased to have this as portable rig that's not so expensive. It's amazing what you get for your money nowadays.

I don't have an adapter to go back to single ended so can't compare how that sounds. I haven't listened to any other modern headphone in this setup so can't compare those sorry.
The only difference between balanced and single ended is you eliminate ground loops and any hums associated with it and it'll be louder

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,418 of 1,500
Simply one of the best headphones I've heard. Just wish I've a slimmer head. Waiting for hybrid proferated pads and see what it will become..
20230411_203809.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_203744_Qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_20230411_203744_Qudelix.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,420 of 1,500
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,423 of 1,500
So they have a Planar II but still no sign of leather earpads... silly.
https://www.avantonepro.com/en/products/planar-ii
Seems interesting, but i'm a bit confused by their marketing. They mentioned that they reduced the weight further but if you look at the weight for the planar and then look at the planar ii's weight you'll see that they are the same at ".48kg; 1 Lbs", so i don't know if that's just a mistake or what but the only actual new thing that i see is the cream coloured version. This whole "revision" feels strange too as there were many things they could have improved that don't seem like they have been, i'm quite confused by this as a customer.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,424 of 1,500
Seems interesting, but i'm a bit confused by their marketing. They mentioned that they reduced the weight further but if you look at the weight for the planar and then look at the planar ii's weight you'll see that they are the same at ".48kg; 1 Lbs", so i don't know if that's just a mistake or what but the only actual new thing that i see is the cream coloured version. This whole "revision" feels strange too as there were many things they could have improved that don't seem like they have been, i'm quite confused by this as a customer.
I'm also confused since in addition to the specs, the product images are almost identical (just with the addition of the creme variant). It'd be great if they made the changes the blurb touts (particularly the lighter weight), but just from the material they've shown, nothing really seems to have changed?

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,425 of 1,500
Hey man I just saw your comment on their Instagram feed regarding pad materials, looks like they shared the idea with their product team, thanks! I just added a comment to back the idea. Adding a leather option would be a game changer for this headphone and would probably make it very popular. I'm using both the Avantone and the HD600 with perforated leather and they sound very much alike. Of course the Avantone has much better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back