Avantone : Pro Planar
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #436 of 1,500
Could it maybe be the earpads not sealing properly? I did try out a while back the positioning of the earpads and did feel that could affect seal and overall bass performance?
I've adjusted the earpads multiple times and they're sitting on the headphones about as perfectly as could be. I remember hearing a slight improvement in the bass from the first time I adjusted them but I don't think it's a pad issue anymore. But, hell, could be.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #438 of 1,500
I don't know how useful this will be for the rest of you but I made scans of the Planar's baffles, pad velcro, and headband. They should be 1:1. This will probably be useful for creating custom pads or headbands.

Attachments

• Avantone Pro Headband (Internals).pdf
    328.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Avantone Pro Headband.pdf
    447.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Avantone Pro Plannar Baffle & Pads.pdf
    675.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #439 of 1,500
After much thought, I've decided to return these. I rarely return HPs as I like to collect them, but in this case just couldn't get past the shoddy design/build quality. I just ordered a HFM HE6SE in its place, so hopefully I'll have better luck with those knowing they're not really known for build quality either. Ah the irony. Anyways, good luck to everyone that own these and see you in a different thread.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #440 of 1,500
After much thought, I've decided to return these. I rarely return HPs as I like to collect them, but in this case just couldn't get past the shoddy design/build quality. I just ordered a HFM HE6SE in its place, so hopefully I'll have better luck with those knowing they're not really known for build quality either. Ah the irony. Anyways, good luck to everyone that owns these and see you in a different thread.
Best of luck with the HE6SE!

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #442 of 1,500
I tried EQ-ing them and it works very well. This may be the 1st pair I own where I can freely lower or up a frequency with huge steps without distorting/destroying the overall quality of the sound.
I tried lowering the range around 1 to 1.3 Khz and upping the low bass. Similar to the setting you guys posted in this thread. Liked the results for a while but finally came to the conclusion that I like their sound better in their default tuning, unaltered (just like I do with all my headphones). Funny, I always have this short moment, after hours of fine tuning, listening, comparing between EQ ON and OFF, that I have found the ideal EQ setting...but then a sudden realization that the default tuning just sounds better.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #443 of 1,500
Yeah, I also tried my hand at using EQ, but I always go back to the unaltered sound after a while.

In other news, I'm feeling a lot better, so let's have another go at it!

Avantone Planar vs Hifiman Sundara (original pads)

Well, this is much better than the Dekoni Pads! I never really have done much A-B testing between the pads, considering how difficult it is to switch them on the Sundara.

- TREBLE: With the regular pads, the Sundara sounds balanced and the treble sounds at their right place in the mix, or a bit elevated in some songs. The Planar, while still resolving well, definitely has softer treble than the Sundaras.
- SOUNDSTAGE and AIR: the Sundara does sound more open and airy.
- WEIGHT: Sundara weights less.
- BUILD QUALITY: yeah... I'll stop mentioning it from now on, but the Avantone Planar's build has weak spots.

+ COMFORT: this is close, but I still prefer the Avantone Planar larger, auto-adjusting headstrap to the Hifiman's non swivelling, friction-based adjustments (I should mention that the Sundara's left side adjustment will contract on its own, not having enough friction to stay put at its correct spot).
+ BASS and MIDRANGE: The Planar's bass extends further, and its midrange is definitely richer than the Sundara's.
+ IMAGING: I can pinpoint sounds better on the Planar, but it's much closer than it was against the Dekoni padded Sundara.
+ DETAIL RETRIEVAL: It is very close, but I ear a touch more details with the Planar, and it is a touch less congested on complex passages.
+ GIRLFRIEND: She can hear the Sundara from the other room and has asked me to switch headphones on occasions. She hasn't complained about the Planar (yet...).

Conclusion: Choice is good! Both are very good performers with good frequency response and technicalities. It's a question of flavors between the two basically: the Avantone Planar is a warmer headphone with more extended bass, and it should perform better with slower, more emotional music. The Sundara has a leaner, more aggressive sound, which lends itself better to metal. Comfort and fit will vary from user to user.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #444 of 1,500
Oh, BTW, after this test, I've more or less decided to return the Planar. The build problems are a major concern, and with their original pads, the Sundara once again sounds mighty fine! I'll continue the comparisons until then.

If Avantone release a version 2, I'll be interested in checking it out. For now, I'm contemplating the Focal Elex, since it is on sale at the moment...

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #445 of 1,500
Oh, BTW, after this test, I've more or less decided to return the Planar. The build problems are a major concern, and with their original pads, the Sundara once again sounds mighty fine! I'll continue the comparisons until then.

If Avantone release a version 2, I'll be interested in checking it out. For now, I'm contemplating the Focal Elex, since it is on sale at the moment...
Reach out to @trellus about the Focal Elex, He has one!

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #446 of 1,500
Hey guys can y'all contribute to an experiment for me?

I, out of curiosity, put the Planars on and pulled the base of each side of the headband (metal arch not the yokes) outwards so that there was about 2-3 mm of space between the pads and my skin. The sound changed. But before I describe what I hear I want to know what happens when you guys do this experiment too.

I know it's silly but it's science, I promise.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #447 of 1,500
*sad audiophile noises*

Attachments

• 863B0425-88E0-4A30-9AD1-E8018C798AC2.jpeg
    863B0425-88E0-4A30-9AD1-E8018C798AC2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #449 of 1,500
Man, that sucks, hope you can get a reimbursement.

Well, that settles it for me. I'll be testing against my old LCD-2, then I'll return them. They have a nice, balanced sound, but they will break sooner or later: that metal piece holding the strap is so flimsy it's ridiculous!

Elex already ordered.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #450 of 1,500
Man, that sucks, hope you can get a reimbursement.

Well, that settles it for me. I'll be testing against my old LCD-2, then I'll return them. They have a nice, balanced sound, but they will break sooner or later: that metal piece holding the strap is so flimsy it's ridiculous!

Elex already ordered.
Oh it happened while I was doing a mod. I was putting a lot of pressure on that piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back