Avantone : Pro Planar
Nov 15, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #301 of 1,500
Detail retrieval is on another level with these Planar Pro's. Well to be more accurate, not more details nor do details necessarily stand out more, but is more like these Planars consistently set punctuation marks in every sentence. It is so well organized and completed.

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #302 of 1,500
Detail retrieval is on another level with these Planar Pro's. Well to be more accurate, not more details nor do details necessarily stand out more, but is more like these Planars consistently set punctuation marks in every sentence. It is so well organized and completed.
That’s a good way to put it

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #303 of 1,500
I think 500 euro/USD?
I played the Avantones with my iPhone SE today and they sounded great. They seem to pair better with my iPhone than with my TEAC DAC/amp, the exact opposite result I get with my other headphones. I will have to figure out what the F is going on.
There is heaps of options under $500. You could do a schiit stack or go for something like the SMSL M500 and pair it up with a more powerful amp :)

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #304 of 1,500
Someone else asked this previously, but can anyone compare these with the Hifiman Sundara?

It seems to be the direct competitor to these, but I can't find a comparison between the two, which is strange. I just ordered these off Amazon so will test them against my Sundaras and see which I prefer.

I had originally ordered the Ollo S4x to compare with the Sundara, but asked to cancel the order as it seems these are rated better than the S4x for less money. I am really enjoying the Sundara but curious to see how these compare and will return the one I like less.
I have owned the Arya and Ananda for some time but sold them and have listened to the Sundara a few times. The Planar will be much much more neutral than all of them. It has a similar bass roll off like the Sundara but I find the Planar to have better slam, sub and mid bass seperation, faster bass and more detail down low. The mids again are more neutral, this may come sounding to you as more warmer or laidback due to the Sundara have a slight midd bump. I found the Avantone to have much more nuanced and detail mids though, male and female vocals are equally exceptional and have this beautiful natural clarity that doesnt feel forced like on the Sundara. Treble again is going to be much more neutral on the Planars, it will have a smoother feel to it, a bit more extension but mighy feel darker/warmer again to the Sundara as the Sundara has a bit of an Elevated treble. I also find more detail in the treble on the Planar. The detail on the Planar is extremely similar to the Arya as it gives it effortlessly but when compared to the Sundara and Ananda, they push details toward you and it seems they are more detailed but if you listen closely, there is much more happening in the background of the Planar and overall more layers of detail. Soundstage will sound very similar compared to the Sundara, but with the right song the Planar is able to create a much wider, spacious and deeper soundstage, but that is because of the song, the Planar doesnt create a fake large soundstage like a HD800/HD800s but it stays true the recording. Separation and instrument placement for me goes to the Planar. Just remember, feed more than 250mw into the Planar and you should be getting full potential :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #305 of 1,500

Everything is there and has its own place, not forcefully above or behind anything else. It really is just such a natural, effortless effect.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #306 of 1,500
Everything is there and has its own place, not forcefully above or behind anything else. It really is just such a natural, effortless effect.
Whole heartedly agree 😁. One of the best detail presentations I have ever heard in a headphone. And it does it in such a natural way with such amazing clarity, it's very close to realistic.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #307 of 1,500
Will be receiving my set of planars in about 6h. Been waiting for months to get them to Sweden. So hyped, especially after reading all your comments.
I read that they require 250mw to be driven fully and i think the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is enough in this regard but then i read the more power the better. Do i need to upgrade my AMP?

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #308 of 1,500
Will be receiving my set of planars in about 6h. Been waiting for months to get them to Sweden. So hyped, especially after reading all your comments.
I read that they require 250mw to be driven fully and i think the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is enough in this regard but then i read the more power the better. Do i need to upgrade my AMP?
Should be beyond more than enough power. I think you'll be putting 1.5W into it which is beyond plenty 😁. 500mw and above I feel is the safe zone with the Planar 😊👍

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #310 of 1,500
Should be beyond more than enough power. I think you'll be putting 1.5W into it which is beyond plenty 😁. 500mw and above I feel is the safe zone with the Planar 😊👍
Yeah, just got them and holy moly is all i can say at this moment.
[Edit] When people say they are lacking i bass i don't know whats up. They are like thunder when called for. Just tried some dubstep and i can barely breathe. [/Edit]

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #311 of 1,500
How are people finding the comfort for long sessions? My only concern with this headphone is it's weight and reports of it being rather delicate.

My only issue was the lump, which I seem to be the only one that it significantly impacts. The whole reason it was an issue for me is because I could otherwise wear them for hours.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #312 of 1,500
How are people finding the comfort for long sessions? My only concern with this headphone is it's weight and reports of it being rather delicate.
No problem so far but the lump in the head band is starting to dig in to my skull. My lump looks a lot smaller than the picture posted earlier.
But my plan is to use double sided tape to place a HD600 headband padding. Another good solution would probably be the Dekoni nuggets but im in Sweden so quite limited supply regarding those things. I need some kind of fabric since i shave my head the leather/pleather headband sticks to my skull :p

[Edit] Just tried the HD600 headband padding and its glorious! [/Edit]

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #314 of 1,500
Well, I've ordered a pair from Long & McQuade. I will be trying them out against my old LCD-2, newish Sundaras and the Mr Speakers AFC Retuned. Hopefully, they will be more comfortable than the last pair I tried (Ollo S4X; great sound, but the pads were too small for my ears).

I'll be curious to hear your impressions. How did the S4x sound in comparison with the Sundara? Was the level of detail on par?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back