av710 still the best cheap spdif?
Feb 23, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 23
sure is!

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ootput
sure is!

I am going to have to crash in on your "CHaintech-LOVERS" party.......The card with the best SPDIF out is the Live! 24bit. ixbt.com's RMAA tests of the SPDIF out indicate it as being better than the Juli's and the EMU.

Please start the Creative flaming now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 23
"The card with the best SPDIF out is the Live! 24bit. ixbt.com's RMAA tests of the SPDIF out indicate it as being better than the Juli's and the EMU."

That one was good
biggrin.gif
.... Got another joke ?

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 23
quick question: must i install drivers for the av710 just to use the digital out? and, do i need to do any special setup to make sure to bet bit-perfect output? i'll be using kernal streaming through foobar. will i just install the drivers and i'm set? or should i use one of the setup guides around here? (i assume those setup guides are for using the analog out?)

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 23
Doesn't the Live24 use the same emu10Kx chip as the audigy1/2/ZS series?
It would have the same resampling problems (i.e. inability to pass non-resampled 44.1khz sound) if so.
On this basis alone I would choose another solution.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 23
ok; why is that? i also heard something about "prodigy" drivers? i don't understand how or why any driver would be better than any other for digital out though; humm.....

so i just install that driver, set up foobar and i'm good? no configuring?

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 23
nope, just enable digital out in the driver seting. i dont think its any complicated. otherwize i can hook it up to my receiver digital line in and check it out for you.

i myself prefer the driver version 4.51c, the one before they get the new goofy looking interface.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 23
From the first post in that thread > "This SB still resamples 44.1KHz audio in hardware with bad results, but when you give it 48KHz or 96KHz audio it measures very decently and a bit better than Chaintech. Let's not forget that most Chaintech users do resample their audio to 96KHz so this isn't a real downer at all."
Some DACs support 96khz and higher clocked data but don't work optimally with these inputs, especially when compared to their output from 44.1/48khz (non-resampled) data. If this isn't a concern for you then the Live 24 sounds like an option. With the Chaintech you'd have the option of outputting 44.1 or 96 or 192khz data.
I've recently heard that the Chaintech's output isn't particularly low-jitter, so I would like to find a better (not just more expensive) digital out for my PC. The X-Fi is one candidate based on this:
"Internal clocking of the processor is 400 MHz. It supports External Clock masters for S/PDIF and I2S. PPL performance - <60pSecs jitter. For reference, the 10Kx processors have jitter in the neighborhood of 110pSecs." from this article : http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...tive-x-fi.html
The X-fi can also output unmolested 44.1khz data, which is a must for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back