AV710 Digital Out- Where is it?
Jun 29, 2004 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Borky

Head-Fier
This is a complete newbie question as I just got my card and I can't see anywhere in the manual diagram where the digital out is. On my old Audigy 2 there was something labeled "Digtal Out" where I put a digital cable with a 1/8" RCA mono adapater. Now, there's nothing like that. I have mic in, line in, line out, surround out, center/bass, alt out, and spdif out.

Where does my cable go?

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
How do I connect it though? My digital cable (from the receiver as well) is round and the opening is squarish.

S/PDIF is a signal standard which can be carried either electrically on copper cables using RCA/BNC connectors, or optically on a glass/plastic TOSlink cable. Your Audigy used an RCA/electrical digital connection, but the AV710 has an optical digital out which uses TOSlink.

If you're trying to connect it to a device with an RCA digital input, you need a format converter, for which there are various options. I believe Radio Shack carries some in the $10-20 range, although there are much fancier options that also do stuff like reclocking to minimize signal jitter. (M-Audio CO2/CO3, Monarchy DIP, and so forth.)

Jun 29, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
If you're trying to connect it to a device with an RCA digital input, you need a format converter, for which there are various options. I believe Radio Shack carries some in the $10-20 range, although there are much fancier options that also do stuff like reclocking to minimize signal jitter. (M-Audio CO2/CO3, Monarchy DIP, and so forth.)

Here's the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had one for a short time and they work pretty well.

Jul 5, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow, seems like every day someone asks a questions that just totally blows my mind...
-Mag

Jul 6, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagusG
Wow, seems like every day someone asks a questions that just totally blows my mind...
-Mag

It must be painful to be so intelligent.

Jul 6, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcachola
Here's the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had one for a short time and they work pretty well.

This thing doesn't Digital --> Analog --> Digital or any crap like that does it?

I know its a stupid question, but there are stupid companies out there *cough* Creative's resampler *cough*.

So if I were to purchase this, I would get a straight bit-for-bit perfect output FINALLY for my AV710 (out of optical jacks)?

Jul 6, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 14
I don't think so. That would involve using ADC + DAC chips which would make the price much higher and anyway it would be a stupid thing to do like you said
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
This thing doesn't Digital --> Analog --> Digital or any crap like that does it?

I know its a stupid question, but there are stupid companies out there *cough* Creative's resampler *cough*.

Creatives resampler doesn't convert to analog. All the resampling is done digitally.

Quote:

So if I were to purchase this, I would get a straight bit-for-bit perfect output FINALLY for my AV710 (out of optical jacks)?

If you flash your AV-710 to an Audiotrack Prodigy you will get bit-perfect digital output, however that will cause your analog outputs to stop working.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Only if you use Kernel Streaming or ASIO.

Sorry to bump this thread from the dead. But if I follow your (Mr. Radar) setup guide to configure the Chaintech with foobar, then do I need to do anything additional to assure bit-perfect output/bypassing kmixer through the digital/optical output? Or am I forced to flash the AV710 to a Prodigy in order to achieve this? Is it better in terms of sound quality to flash to Prodigy?

I am using a DAC connected to the AV710 optical out and foobar with Kernel Streaming just like is directed in your setup guide. Music is playing and everything seems to work fine, but I just want to be sure it is bit-perfect and bypassing Windows kmixer.

Furthermore, can anyone direct me to one of those test files for checking this?

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Sorry to bump this thread from the dead. But if I follow your (Mr. Radar) setup guide to configure the Chaintech with foobar, then do I need to do anything additional to assure bit-perfect output/bypassing kmixer through the digital/optical output? Or am I forced to flash the AV710 to a Prodigy in order to achieve this? Is it better in terms of sound quality to flash to Prodigy?

I am using a DAC connected to the AV710 optical out and foobar with Kernel Streaming just like is directed in your setup guide. Music is playing and everything seems to work fine, but I just want to be sure it is bit-perfect and bypassing Windows kmixer.

Furthermore, can anyone direct me to one of those test files for checking this?

I flashed mine to Prodigy because of the better drivers. The VIA drivers seemed to have a problem where it would get stuck on a specific sample rate if you change from hi-res mode and digital. Bit-perfect using kernel streaming didn't seem to change as I was able to play DTS files in foobar befroe the flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back