AV Guide review of the new Mini Maggies
Sep 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.avguide.com/review/magnepan-mini-maggie-desktop-speaker-system-playback-48?utm_campaign=Weekly+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-207&utm_content=PB+6

interesting review, but he mentions neither his amp as used for the review (small integrated on the desk? big combo hidden away?) or his source (good USB Dac? nice small universal player? what?) - I think given the emphasis on the desk top it's a relevant concern...

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 12
The Mini Maggies look promising, it's a shame that the sensitivity remains so low (86 dB). 

Magnepan has some interesting comments on their web page regarding the minis:
"We often are asked if the Mini Maggie System can be used in lieu of one of our larger models. There is a good reason why line-source drivers are big. We suggest that you view the Mini Maggie System as a solution to a installation dilemma---especially well-suited for small rooms.
Because a woofer/satellite system is uncharted territory for Magnepan, we urge caution. Look at the manual for installation instructions as a woofer/satellite system. The setup involves a lot of unknowns, so, we suggest that customers negotiate an agreement with their dealer. If it turns out that your particular installation or room acoustics are not conducive to a Mini Maggie System, there should be some remedy for the customer. "Buyer's remorse" is bad for business."

It definitely seems like they stand before their full size products before the mini. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
It definitely seems like they stand before their full size products before the mini. 

well, cash aside, the first couple of reviews do make it sound as if the mini maggies are really something to hear - and in many ways I'd be the typical target for the mini: I have two speaker systems with magnepan speakers, but use headphones at desks at work and at home, and don't have good speakers attached there - so if I wanted to have better audio at work, without having to wear wires, I'd be very tempted to go for the mini maggies. but it's more complicated than that: consider the rooms (not just size - for instance, my office at work would be pretty hard to damp enough to justify putting good speakers up), the signal chain (which amp drives the mini woofers and speakers appropriately, which source works for you at that desk, etc), and the proportion of serious or casual listening that you expect at that set-up. if your room is big enough to allow MMGs or up, then you should probably still go with that... unless you expect only near-field listening and have too little room for bigger rigs. in a way, that's why I got back into head-fi in such situations.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I've seen several reviews on these and not one of them has mentioned source or amp. I'm not sure how you would have a desk top amp that would go to 4 ohms (or lower) or have the power you need. I was looking at these but I don't have anything that can power them.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
The bass module goes up to 5 kHz, which can't be great for stereo separation.

I don't see how that's an issue, since a) low bass is more non-directional anyway, and b) this kit is meant for near-field listening, so you'd be within arm's reach of the speakers, or barely more, for most desktop settings

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 12
5 kHz is in the upper midrange. Even assuming the crossover point between the bass unit and left/right speakers is considerably below 5 kHz, the center unit is designed to be audible in all but the top two octaves before it is rolled off entirely. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
5 kHz is in the upper midrange. Even assuming the crossover point between the bass unit and left/right speakers is considerably below 5 kHz, the center unit is designed to be audible in all but the top two octaves before it is rolled off entirely. 

but the planar speakers don't start there. this is muddling the issue: the main point is that in a near-field setting on your desktop, it won't matter how high the woofer goes. this is a company with several decades of R&D invested in their seminal patented planar tech, and I can say from experience that they only come out with a new product revision when they have significantly improved the crossover and responsiveness. while I haven't yet heard the mini-maggies myself, I doubt you can cast aspersions based on a random tech talking point here

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk/reviews of these speakers on here.

I recently posted a review to the Mini Maggie product page.  I thought some of the folks here might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back