Auzentech X-Fi settings panel GUI(s) very laggy
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Headphoneus Supremus
Now keep in mind I have a computer that I custom built in 2003/2004, so it obviously won't play the newest games and all that (although I play Doom 3 and Oblivion on it)... however, that being said, my system is overall very snappy and works very well for what I need it to. I am kind of a tweak junkie so it runs probably a lot better than it "should" for only having a Radeon 9800 AIW and P4 3.2Ghz w/HT. I will be upgrading soon but I have more important things to spend my money on at this juncture.

Is there a reason that the programs are so laggy? With the newest driver version, even when right-clicking on the tray icon, I get like 5 seconds of lag before the context menu pulls up. What the hell?

The more important actions cause considerable lag as well, considering it's just a freaking control panel for audio drivers. The worst is if I open the "Console Launcher" (turquoise icon) and switch between Modes from there instead of the systray icon. The lag and stuttering/"smearing" when it animates the transition it just horrible. I have tried setting my DirectX/Direct3D/DirectDraw graphics drivers' settings all to "High Performance" profile which doesn't change these symptoms at all -- also I should mention that I’m using the minimal ATI drivers (not the CCC since that thing is crazy laggy as well) and have ATI Tray Tools installed, so again my graphics run a lot better than they "should" if I was using default drivers and setup.

Could this issue be dependant on RAM speeds? My CAS Latency(s) are set to 2-2-2-5 and Dual Channel mode etc.; however it is only PC2700, 166 MHz bandwidth at the moment.

Screenshots of system specs, courtesy of CPU-Z, are below:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/478...stemspecsj.png

sduibekcpuzsystemspecsj.png

Help
frown.gif

EDIT: I search for about 15 minutes on Google and found virtually nothing about this issue, and nothing at all that was helpful to me.

Thanks,
--Sdu/DK

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 17
What do your memory usage and CPU usage at? Is your hard drive thrashing and is the LED blinking all the time?

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XP SP3? show us your taskmanager w/ the processes
smily_headphones1.gif

Usually <20, lately is @ 21 once the startup stuff goes away (Winlogon and all that). I'll grab it once i'm at my home PC...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ares /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do your memory usage and CPU usage at? Is your hard drive thrashing and is the LED blinking all the time?

On boot, mem usage is at about 250MB. CPU like 0-2%.. ish. Y'know on High update speed it always hops around :p Sometimes this idling can go as high as 4%.

HDD and LED, nope.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 17
on XP SP3? there's still a few tricks I could think of, but maybe you could use Camtasia to give us an overview of just HOW slow the damn thing is.

and benchmarks work fine? 3dmark/superpi/etc etc? you tried a clean reinstall+defrag, right?

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Defragged recently, did a Repair Install recently but it's been a few years since a clean install :p

Honestly I might just be getting a new computer soon. I was poking around on NewEgg and you can set yourself up with some fast crap for like 500-600 bucks these days. Crazy how cheap computers are getting. Mine was about 1500-2000$ when I built it, when you include everything including mouse, keyboard, good quality monitor, etc.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 17
my xfi prelude GUI is kinda slow as well.especially when switching modes.but its not unbearable :S

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buying a new system instead of installing a clean XP SP3, that makes a lot of sense to me!

lol. Well it's also a 5-6yo computer, that's part of the equation. dork :p

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. Well it's also a 5-6yo computer, that's part of the equation. dork :p

and now, I'm the dork...damn you're good
beerchug.gif

may I suggest installing even more bloatware in your systray? you need one or two antivirus app, then MSN, then Yahoo Messenger, then I dunno.....I'm sure you can work your way through download.com
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 17
Ohhh man don't even get my started about Toolbars. Those things are like viruses in sheep's clothing.

EDIT: Also notice how "most" major softwares these days come with all sorts of crap that you don't even have a CHOICE about installing?

Adobe AIR
iTunes' Bonjour
Daemon Tools toolbar
Java Update Scheduler
Java Quick Starter
QuickTime Task
WinZip Task
ATI Hotkey Poller

The list goes on...

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 17
Screenshots.

Links:

List of Processes running from Windows Task Manager. This is after the computer has been running for most of the day, but it very closely matches how it looks a couple minutes after a cold boot.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/841/processesf.jpg

View of the "Performance Tab" in Task Manager.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/496...tabtaskmgr.jpg

Full list of my Services from Administrative Tools (Control Panel). This is a cut-and-paste job so apologies if any of the display is off.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5476/servicesp.jpg

List of msconfig Startup items.
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7007/msconfig.jpg

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 17
Crap creative drivers? I've used computers like yours, P4 with 1GB RAM and they seem incredibly slow, compared to even a AMD X2 with 2GB of RAM even doing typical windows. My brother's got a P4 with 1GB RAM.

Peak usage on my PC is now 888MB and that's just running the usual things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back