Auzentech Forte poping sound
Mar 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

exe163

100+ Head-Fier
I am having problem with this sound card. Once a while (randomly), it creates this loud popping sound for no particular reason. It is loud and obnoxious, it happens even when the computer is idle. I have already tried electrical tape to isolate the card from the chassis, doesn't seem to help. Anyone got any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 13
you could try to take off the opamp, and V-shape it as much as possible? I had it sometimes on my Prodigy HD2.

basically, they used high grade machined sockets...but DIP8 opamps are meant to either be soldered or used in low quality "pressing" sockets(like on the STX), so if one of the opamp leads is not properly bent, you get random loud pops(they even sounded very metallic IME).

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having problem with this sound card. Once a while (randomly), it creates this loud popping sound for no particular reason. It is loud and obnoxious, it happens even when the computer is idle. I have already tried electrical tape to isolate the card from the chassis, doesn't seem to help. Anyone got any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks

Does this happen when audio is playing also or just when the card is silent?
Did you check the cables? Is the card stock, or did you change anything?

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quite a large number of Forte (and Prelude) owners seem to be having problems similar to this. Myself included. Not sure whether it's hardware or software/driver related. Many believe it to be driver related.

Below are some of the problems I've experienced since getting the card last week:
1) Windows 7 x64 not recognizing the card (fixed by installing/uninstalling drivers numerous times, as well as trying different slots)
2) Random static/popping noises (no solution yet, disabling/re-enabling the card in device manager fixes the issue, sometimes switching modes fixes it)
3) sound disappears, usually preceded by static/popping - (no solution yet, disabling/re-enabling the card in device manager fixes the issue, swithing modes doesn't work here)

The card will lose sound even sitting idling. I usually keep my card in "game mode" and in the morning/after work, I have to disable/re-enable the card. One night I left it in "entertainment mode" and instead of the sound just disappearing like it usually does, I woke up to loud static/popping noises, which leads me to believe that it perhaps is a driver/software issue.
confused.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 13
no it's not
biggrin.gif
..but a friend of mine sold his because he was getting a lot of static when he changed modes, and the only way to fix it was to reboot from what he said...he runs W7 x86.

since then, he's bought an audio-gd FUN and he's in heaven.

anyway, my first suggestion still holds...you never know! it might just be an electrical contact minor problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 13
leeperry, I have no idea how to do your suggested fix, so I think it's safer to leave the card unmodded.

The funny thing is, this problem never happen to me prior to my switch of PCI-E lane: from a 4x to 16x. I have no way to switch back now unfortunately since my new NB heatsink is blocking the 4x lane.

I'll try to rearrange it and see how it goes. Well since there's no fix, is there a way to reproduce the problem without waiting for it to happen?

And to Rob, it happens without anything playing in the background with the computer just idling.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 13
I switched to another x16 PCI-E slot and the problem still persist. Though now it produce less irritating sound.

I have been using X-fi since forever I don't really know what other alternative that's good for both 5.1 speakers and headphones. In case the problem is not fixed and I ended up selling it what card should I replace it with?

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Why... did you replace the NB heatsink? o.O

Anyway, the smaller lane is probably just getting more stable power. Try disabling power-savings solutions (Video card auto downclocking, AMD Cool-n-Quiet, and Intel Speedstep.)

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why... did you replace the NB heatsink? o.O

Anyway, the smaller lane is probably just getting more stable power. Try disabling power-savings solutions (Video card auto downclocking, AMD Cool-n-Quiet, and Intel Speedstep.)

I have watercool at first, then take NB block out of the loop to lessen restriction. I tried with the smaller lane again the annoying sound is still there. I don't have any engergy saving options for CPU on atm (C-state, speed step etc). Though, video card downclock when in 2d mode, I don't even think there's an option to disable that.

My mobo is using X58 chipset, running i7-920 at 4.0Ghz with a overclocked 5850. Win7 x64.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Did you move the PC to a different power outlet recently?
I have seen this happen to people when the put their PC's on circuit where other devices, lights are present. Such as one guys PC would snap when a person turned on a light in the other room. I heard another guys had a card that snapped when his frdges compressor would kick on. This can happen with many different cards and power setups. Try moving your PC to a different power outlet. It may help.

Are your speakers and PC on the same power outlet?
Can you attribute the "pop" to something that is happening in the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back