Automatic archiving (locking) of threads...
Mar 3, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
Like, old threads are cool. You can refer back to them 'cause some of them contain valuable information from people who might not post here any more.

But to have them resurface to the top is both confusing, and usually not nearly as useful as a fresh new thread.

So what if old threads got locked automatically, and became part of the "Head-Fi Archives"? I don't know how old a thread should be though... but I think 2-3 months since the last post in the thread would be sufficient?

Mar 4, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 10
I wonder if vBulletin has this feature. I think some message board software does. Either that or a thread-locking team could be assigned to lock threads once they hit the 3 month mark or so since the last post. Thread revival just doesn't make any sense and makes the forums far less useful and enjoyable.

Mar 4, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 10
I hate threads that autolock -- sometimes it is best to add comments to an older thread, and autolocking means that the same thread gets created again and again -- which is already a contentious issue here.

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 10
But nobody remembers (most) threads from more than 3 months ago.

The thread-locking team doesn't sound at all like a practical idea... I guess if the vBulletin software doesn't allow it, we're SOL.

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Am I the only one that thinks waking dead threads is ok?

Like, I don't do much of that myself, (except for the thread about Jude's rig
redface.gif
), but I love looking at ghost threads when someone does bump one up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really!
confused.gif

And there are threads that continue to be relevant for an indefinite amount of time, e.g. threads about modding a particular pair of headphones...

As I mentioned in another (ghost) thread, one feature I'd really like to see is a 'ghost' icon for an old thread (say a few months old). Then people can tell right away that it's a ghost, and still enjoy the reminiscing without others getting confused.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 4, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You will still be able to read the thread even if it is locked. There is a feature on this site called the Search button which allows you to read any thread from anytime whenever you wish.

I agree, after the grafitti on the founding thread, I think it's a good idea!

g

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You will still be able to read the thread even if it is locked. There is a feature on this site called the Search button which allows you to read any thread from anytime whenever you wish.

The problem is that while future threads can refer back to past threads, there is no way to make past, locked threads forward to future threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back