Austrian Audio HI-X55
Mar 10, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #211 of 238
Are these stable, and comfortable? I haven't been using my X55 for several month after one of the pads on the right hand side collpases at the bottom just keeps on depressing into my ear, i only had it for like 7 month of continues use.

it became very uncomfortable within like just 10-20 min of using it, so i switched it out and used it on my Ultrasone DXP (angled brainwavz pads) and using the HXC3 cable from AA, oh boy, perfect sounding for me using Zen Stack, But would still like to fix the X55 pads issue for variety.

Yes, the Dekoni pads are very comfortable. They don’t slide around, but if you grab the headphone by the pad accidentally, they will come off.

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #212 of 238
I just purchased and received the Hi-X55 Cushion replacement kit from Austrian Audio. I bought it from B&H Photo. I had been very hesitant to buy it because of the high $70 price. Hope I didn’t get ripped off. But, anyway; the new pads definitely seem to be an improvement over the original pads. I couldn’t believe how the original pads got so messed up in such a short time. The new ones were easy to install and I’m happy that they are better than the originals. I just hope they last a long time. I don’t want to keep spending $70 every time they need replacement. I believe that someone in this thread mentioned that the replacement pads for the ATH-M50x would fit the Hi-x55. That would be great, a lot cheaper than $70.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #213 of 238
I just purchased and received the Hi-X55 Cushion replacement kit from Austrian Audio. I bought it from B&H Photo. I had been very hesitant to buy it because of the high $70 price. Hope I didn’t get ripped off. But, anyway; the new pads definitely seem to be an improvement over the original pads. I couldn’t believe how the original pads got so messed up in such a short time.

This is a long post but I observed a rather rapid change in FR over weeks as the pads broke in on my Hi-X65 :
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-hi-x65-open-back-announced.23380/post-900059

It's likely to be similar on the Hi-X55 if not worse.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #214 of 238
Enjoying the X55 a lot. Still getting used to the new sound signature for myself. I wish the headband was more comfortable though. I plan to put a Beyerdynamic headband on it soonish.

Billie Eilish newest album sounds soo good. The bass hits super hard.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #218 of 238
I decided to give these a try after being happy with the K550 and K553 for years besides the plastic piece on the headband adjustment that's prone to cracking. I bought a K553 Pro after the K550 gave out fully and these had a driver blow out. And my current K553 MK2 have the stupid plastic cracking again. Wanted to try something different.

With that said these are very disappointing. People talk about these having a very wide sound stage but to me there is like none compared to the K553.

It just sounds so weird and unnatural and severely lacking bass. The K553 has a perfect amount of bass.

I'm curious if I perhaps got a bad pair seeing how some have had some QC issues...

As for a test track I was using
Rather late reply, but I have also been interested in upgrading my K550s. I have both the original and MKIII. The only difference is that the MKIII has a mini XLR connector rather than integrated cable. The annoying issue I now have with both K550s is slight pressure put on the ear cups, or sometimes head or body movement myself makes the driver move in and out making a popping sound. It is sort of a sound like a plastic bottle when you push the plastic in and it pops back out. Really odd but the drivers seem to go like this after several years. The only way to decrease it is by uncovering one of the 3 holes that go through to the driver enclosure. This results on far less pressure on the driver when pressure gets applied to the housing. But it also results in decreasing bass response too.

You have basically put me off the x55s now since you have had both and compared them, (which is a good thing, at least i won't spend the money now!) As I use My K550s for portable headphones because they fold flat and go in a bag, i am wanting something very similar, but am actually wanting more bass as the vibrations from the road and engine when on public transport makes bass very hard to hear. On my FiiO X3 i actually boost the bass by nearly 10db at times. I feel I could do with a more punchy pair of headphones than the K550s but with the same detail and similar style. The X55s looked good to begin with until i read your comparison.

By the way, I know and like long distance calling!

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #221 of 238
You are absolutely right - the Xi-55 have nothing to do with K550s. Think you have to look at ATH-M70.
I will look further into the M70s then. I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying they lack bass, but I'm also aware that they could have tried the M50s which i believe are somewhat heavy on bass. Do you happen to know if the M70s will have more punch than the K550s as that is what I feel I'm missing. I will see if i can find more information about them.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #222 of 238
Afaik the stock pads have empty holes and the foam with L R indications is glued to the earcup, while most 3rd party pads have those 2 parts integrated. So do you have 2 layers of foam put together now?
Yes, true, but it doesn’t bother me. You could cut out the layer that comes with the pads but there would be no way to put it back in.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #223 of 238
Does anybody have experience with the X-55, X60 and the AKG K872? which would be the best headphone for electronica and some rock/pop?

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #224 of 238
Does anybody have experience with the X-55, X60 and the AKG K872? which would be the best headphone for electronica and some rock/pop?
I’ve owned all three at a time, but mostly listen to EDM and electronica…
I’d say the X60 is the most balanced of those three, more compact, even foldable, and cheaper than the K872, which I would rank second. The X55 has a sound signature that bodes less well with my tastes, putting a microscope to the upper mids that might help studio work but is not a perfect companion to my musical preferences.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #225 of 238
Thanks for your thoughts plakat. The x60 are considerably cheaper than the 872s in Korea where I am, so that'll be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back