Austrian Audio HI-X55
Jun 12, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #166 of 238
As an update I came back to trying them one last time and I'm confused. They sound MUCH better then they initially did.

I don't believe much in burn in but yeah.

There is some details that i can hear that is not present on the K553 MK2 so i'm very confused here. That mid range peak tho is present. With that said the soundstage is much more narrow then the K553 IMO.

Conflicted if I should give these more of a chance or return them.

With that said poorly mastered stuff and horribly compressed stuff becomes extremely obvious with them.

That wide open sound stage with K553 is really hard to give up. Nothing seems to really sound like it.

Wonder if I'm going to have to look at open options as an upgrade but there is a lot of ambient noise here. Damn loud PC fans.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #167 of 238
Not to bump this thread but after a few days I noticed that the left driver seems to have become loose or something happened. At higher volume levels it will buzz at 180Hz or so. Even taking them off my head the channel will still rattle.

Going to try again with a replacement.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #168 of 238
how good are these in comparison to DT 1990 (detail, soundstage, stereo field etc.) ?
I got my Xi-55 a week ago. I find them marvelous- crisp, clear, resolving, balanced, well build. And yes, they resemble the DT1990. The Xi-55 have more clarity in the bass (sub-bass) but slightly less separation in the highs but do not have the controversial peak there. Soundstage is better than average for closed-back and better than HD650 and 660s but not than big like that of DT1990. The Xi-55 mostly resemble my T50RP Mayflower V1 but have more tight sub-bass and a bit more forward vocals. I think they are a great addition for any collection or like a main headphone to have for enjoyment or work.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #169 of 238
Bought, tested and returning these. Biggest disappointment in years. I was expecting an improved AKG but instead had many issues. They don't extend quite far enough to fully reach my ears without pressure atop my head that the padding just can't mitigate. The clamp is also more than I like and since the parts are all hard plastic, there is nothing that can be done to address these. Pads are deep enough and reasonably soft, but being thinner in diameter (not depth) they put pressure on a smaller area around the ear causing discomfort that fatter edged pads would not. The highs are great, the bass is tight and accurate with decent subs, but don't extend as far as I'd like. The sound stage is somewhat small, and the mids seem to muddle that and are by far the worst part of these. The classic true mids (ie. 500 hz to 2 khz or so) are forward, and incredibly resonant. Meaning you get too much there to begin with, and then it seems to build up with resonant peaks making them painful to listen to.

They remind me of the Sony Z7 Mk1 in having that painful midrange beaming and resonance, though they're far worse than that even. Also lacking the huge sound stage, bass warmth, and comfort of the Sony. Any Version Two of this needs one click extra extension on both sides, a thin metal strip on the headband to allow the clamp to be adjusted (as I've also learned with other headphones, hard plastic won't let you do that, it simply goes back to where it was before). The mids need to be flatter, the sub bass extended further (study the AKG K371 to learn how they do it). Pads need thicker edges, and some inner dampening to absorb or diffract the midrange so there won't be that annoying resonance and build up. Also it needs to come down vs. the rest of the spectrum. That includes the higher mids which also had a bit of extra edge to them. They seem designed with studios in mind but I could not possibly mix and or master on them, the mids are too inaccurate to rely on.
I think you have been listening to some broken headphones! The Xi-55 sub-bass is less in quantity but far more tight and qualitative vs K371. The K371 highs are less extended and do not have the clarity and detail of Xi-55. Vs Z7 - I do not find resemblance: Z7 has more bass (sub-bass) in volume; mids and vocals are quite recessed; highs are not having the clarity and detail of Xi-55.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #170 of 238
Can anyone compare the Focal Elegia to the HI-X55? I used to own the Elegia and had the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads and a Cardas parsec balanced cable. Eventually I ended up selling them as I used iems mostly when I was out. I do miss the Elegia but they are still to expensive for what they are and find them overpriced after owning the Avantone Planar. I am just wondering if the Austrian Audio HI-X55 might be of better value and in some ways maybe better than the Elegia? If they have more clarity and detail with better instrument separation and soundstage I'll get the HI-X55. I think @Nomax said on an earlier post that the Elegia is a step higher with Brainwavs earpads when compared to the HI-X55. But what is a step better? I found with the Dekoni earpads on the Elegia, it improved the low end but did take away the air while taming treble slightly.... I usually use EQ and am able to fix the slight bass roll off on the HI-X55.
Mummy, very difficult comparison! The Eleqia is in my top 3 favourites and according to me in top 3 best closed-backs. I will start with similarities: resolution, clarity, some focus in mids and vocals. The Elegia is more luxury build and has more comfy pads. The Elegia has more bass in quantity in general and highs are more energetic vs clinical of Xi-55. The Elagia is very musical and sound to me like a home system in a big room while Xi-55 is a bit colder and focused on detail. I like the Xi-55 very much. If one is on budget Xi-55 is a great choice. If I have to chose I will pick the Elegia but I happy having both since Xi-55 is very surgical on detail separation.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #171 of 238
Update: I'm not much of a believer in burn in, but I do believe giving a few hours of playback with the x55s has remarkably improved the overall sound signature. Bass seems to be a bit more lively and present in the mix. Turning on XBass on high gain even provides some of the bump I'd like to see in some of the rap mixes. Its still nothing compared to the Z7M2s, but for almost half the price, I say these do alright. Taking everything together, these are almost like a cheaper, studio version of the Z7M2s.

Just purchased the HI-X55s from Guitar Center today. They started carrying out here in the Southwest and its one of the few headphones in stock.
I asked the guy in store if I could demo them which he happily obliged. Unfortunately, the pair I demoed was defective - couldn't play anything below about 150Hz even with a 15 dBl boost out of my Walkman. Thought I'd gamble on them still, especially since I could always return if I'm truly unhappy with it. So... I've had them for about a couple hours now, been throwing all kinds of music at them, changing sources, EQing, etc. etc. - here are my first impressions...

Holy cow are these comfortable. I wear an XL ball cap and the first comment anyone makes when they try on my hats is, "Wow, you have a big head." So.... I have a big head. These fit so comfortable. However, I'm one of those weirdoes that enjoys good clamp pressure from his headphones. For instance, my HD6XXs offer a comfortable amount of clamp force for me. These don't have quite as much, but they do have more force than something like Meze 99 or MDR1AM2. I recently got the Z7M2s as well for non-critical listening and the comfort is right on par with those but with slightly more clamp force. The pads sort of just envelop your ears and its wonderful. Plus, everything is easily removable so if you need more cush, you can get more cush (though I doubt you'll need it). One person in this thread made note of the headband being plastic - it has a similar texture as plastic. I first glance I thought it was. It, however, does have a cool touch and a sturdiness to it that resembles metal. I still would refrain from forcing these to reduce clamp force. I would stick these on a yoga block instead and let that do the trick over a couple weeks.

Build quality and design are top notch. When I asked the cashier if I could demo them and he opened the box, he and I both made an audible "oh wow" at first seeing them. They're just beautiful. They're a blend of plastic and metal and they feel exceptionally durable, about as durable as my K553s. Now, with the $330-$350 price tag, I'm still going to be handling these carefully. Regardless, they have a nice premium feel to them that is reminiscent of something significantly more expensive.

Thank goodness the cable is interchangeable. The 3m cable is great if all you're doing is working in a studio, but my goodness is it pain everywhere else. Even then, I hate 3m cables because I roll my chair over them, damaging the cord. That said, the cable is decent. It has some spring and memory to it, but I suspect a little heat and straightening will fix that right up. It is a 2.5mm locking jack that goes into the headphones. I ordered two cables, both designed to fit the Audio Technica ATH series and Sennheiser HD500 series. Obviously haven't received them yet, but after carefully looking at pictures, I don't see why they wouldn't fit. It is important to note that the cable is finicky if its not fully locked in place. Initial listening made me think I had a pair of broken cans because it did not sound right, but I quickly realized I had not fully turned the cable. This is my first time with a b-lock cable so don't judge me...

Sound, sound, sound, sound.... I too, like many of you, looked at the frequency response graph and thought to myself, "holy cow, what is going on with these headphones." Yet, I still bought them because curiosity killed this cat. I appreciated Oratory's graph (https://www.dropbox.com/s/a17yq4pkomonor0/Austrian Audio Hi-X55.pdf?dl=0). Its quite odd because you look at the graph and you think, "this is going to sound really weird", but it really doesn't... Now, let me do my absolute best to describe how these sound...

Like others have said, they are remarkably source dependent. My go-to is the Walkman ZX507 which, as most people know, does not have much power to give. Fortunately, these are easy to drive headphones so the Walkman does do it. That said, I did run these on my iFi Hip DAC with and without XBass. I also ran these on my FiiO Q3 with its very clean sound signature. What I've found is that the more power you throw at these, the better they sound. Others are right as well, pairing them with a smoother/warmer sounding DAC/amp improved overall sound signature.

Before I really dig in, I suppose I should also share my personal tastes... I listen to almost everything so my initial listening is basically just shot-gunning all of the different genres at whatever gear I'm testing. Symphony, cinematic, acoustic-based, country, rock, rap, etc. etc. The only thing I'm not really a big fan of is EDM and hard/heavy rock. I like a neutral/balanced sound signature, but I also enjoy musical/pleasure cans like the HD6XX for its warmth or Z7M2. Typically... if I can't have balanced/neutral, then I'd rather have a warmer V-shaped sound signature than something that is overly bright, OR something that is more mid-forward like the K553s.

Bass - most of your bass is going to be from about 60Hz upwards. I can slide the 31Hz slider all the way up and all the way down with no discernable difference in the mix. 62Hz does make a difference, but its more in overall warmth. There isn't really any thump to the low end. If you're looking to listen to EDM or rap or are a bass head, I would not recommend these headphones. The Z7M2s probably have the best bass (but those are about $600) because of its tight, natural and textured presentation. The bass on these isn't anything to write home about. You can hear it and its does its job. It doesn't detract from the sound, but also doesn't really add anything either. Ultimately, the bass is that of a pair of studio monitoring cans, which I believe the designers at Austrian Audio intended.

On the box, Austrian Audio claims that these can go as low as 5Hz which is super impressive. If I put the x55s on my iFi Hip DAC with XBass on, there is improved bass performance. I suspect that one could EQ or apply a bass boost and find more of the bass that he or she is looking for. I just don't have the means to do it well.

Mids - What an interesting mid range. The good news, I'm not hearing any resonance coloring the mid range which is common for closed back cans. But man, is hard to explain what I'm hearing. What I have found is that 1) its source dependent, and 2) its track dependent. These cans will reveal flaws in poorly mixed/mastered tracks. So its hard to establish a rule for these mids because it could be the headphones, it could be the music. I've listened to a couple songs with leading female vocals that make me go "yikes" because of how clinical and shouty they sound. I've listened to other tracks with the natural timbre of a vocalist is displayed beautifully. Helpful? Yeah, I don't think so. Ultimately, these headphones have a very mid forward presentation which can (can) lend itself to clinical, bright, or shouty sounds. This isn't true for all songs, but it certainly is for several that I listened to.

It's important to note, in looking at the graph for these headphones, don't view that dip at 500Hz to 700Hz as a scoop. It really isn't. The reality is that the bottom of the dip is about where you want that frequency. Rather, you have two peaks, one at about 150Hz and another at 1000Hz. So, if you're going to EQ - you want to knock those peaks down rather than bring the dip up. If you bring the dip up, you're going to have a very rough sound signature.

Highs - I've never been great at discerning high frequencies. These headphones are bright cans. With that comes detail and airiness, etc. but it can also lend itself to sibilance. I didn't find the highs to be as sibilant as the DT770s, so I'd say that's a win in my book. I don't have much to say about the highs, but feel free to ask me questions.

Sound Stage/Imaging - Fantastic. When I demoed the broken headphones in store, I decided to take a chance because of how great the sound stage and imaging is. Is it as open as an open-back? No. But, it doesn't have the same closed, cramped, and resonant-filled sound as many other sub $350 headphones. I also find instrument separation just right. My Z7M2s have great instrument separate, almost too much - like everything is too far apart. These teeter on the line between intimate and spacious and I love it.

Final verdict... should you get these? Maybe... They're certainly worth giving a try. Like I said, I would stay clear if you're a bass head and looking for something to bring the fun out of EDM or rap. These will not satisfy. If you are super sensitive to bright sound signatures; again, I might not recommend these.

Here's my thinking, you can get something like the K371 with its Harman Curve tuning for half the price. But, you won't get the x55's spaciousness or comfort. Frequencies can be EQ'd and my goodness do these EQ well. As I was playing with the equalizer, I quickly realized that if you had EQ'd these headphones and given me them, I would not be able to tell that you EQ'd them. So, I'm not a fan of EQ'ing at all (and I probably won't these), but I think the build quality, comfort, spaciousness, etc. of the x55s picks up some of the slack that the wonky mid range gives. Keep that in mind.

Ultimately, I do believe I will be keeping these x55s. That says something because it comes from someone returns headphones/IEMs like its a game. If something doesn't impress me, back to the store it goes. Just this week, I bought the Yamaha MT7s and Shure SE225s, neither of them were that great so I returned both and got these instead. I'm going to keep these for a specific purpose - classical/cinematic music. Listening to Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" or Shostakovich's "Gadfly Suite" or the Game of Thrones score all sound amazing because of the slightly brighter and spacious sound signature. Most everything else is good (perhaps even great for the price tag) but I have other headphones that do it better. I can't understate how great classical/cinema score's sound though.

Sorry for the somewhat chaotic review. I'll update/make edits if my opinion changes. Feel free to shoot me any questions!
👍

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #172 of 238
Hello, im currently thinking of getting a pair. but i'd like to know if anyone has compared these to the DT1990 Pro?
i currently do own a pair of the 1990Pro and im wondering if thoes are better or worse, performance/technical/clarity wise?

anyone have any input ?
DT1990 has more air in the highs and quite bigger soundstage. Also, DT1990 has more bass (especially with B-pads) but I think Xi-55 sub-bass and bass quality is good. Xi-55 mids and vocals are not that linear and but they miss the controversial peak in the highs. Both have similarities: great clarity, details, separation but the DT1990 worth the higher price for accessories, fun, sound signature - balanced vs unorthodox of Xi-55.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #173 of 238
Aug 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #174 of 238
Rather recent review, quite positive overall:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/austrian-audio-hi-x55

Yes, I'd would habe liked the shorter cable to be included in the box, but on the other hand its not that expensive as an accessory. And the X55 is just astonishingly cheap given its build quality and being made in Austria. He also mentions a bit colored, excited upper midrange (which still is my main point of critique), but sees the bass as lightly elevated -- which does not match with my experience. To me the bass could well be a bit stronger... without loosing resolution of course.

I haven't used mine in quite some time, but at some point I'll have to dig it out -- Austrian Audio got to my weak spot and created a closed Bluetooth model... Which is very nice indeed. And while I did not directly compare them (not into technicalities anymore), they sound more natural throughout the mids while still keeping a slight emphasis on the upper mids. They also have a more even and a bit stronger bass response, which is still clear. Quite an accomplishment at 149€ I think.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austrian-audio-hi-x25bt.959007/

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #175 of 238
Hello
Please im pro fps gaming ( rainbow six siege )
So its very important to listen foot steps with all details in the map
I need to choose the best imaging and directional headphone
and i have many choices
Dt 1990
Harmonicdyne zeus
Tygr 300
Austrian audio hi-x55

or if u have another better than what i say its ok
Thanks all

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #176 of 238
I have the dt1990 pro and the Xi-55. I made comparison b/n dt1990 and Tygr 300 and the 300 sound like loudspeakers, I mean they are natural and wide but I do not think they beat the dt1990 pro (a bit more studio sound). So my longterm experience with Xi-55 and dt1990 pro is:
- stage: dt1990 >> Xi-55, Xi-55 has a bit bigger than average stage for closed-back while dt1990 competes well in stage with open-backs;
- sub-bass: Xi-55>dt1990, I am not 100% sure is it the volume or the quality of the sub-bass that I feel is better in Xi-55 but the 55's sub-bass is better separated from mid-bass and exactly footsteps are clearly defined - the detail is very clear but not very loud. Mid-bass is equal on both.
- Mid range - a bit more forward in Xi-55 but more natural in dt1990 pro;
- highs and detail in highs: dt1990>Xi-55.
So, you have to decide do you want the wider stage of dt1990 or the better sub-bass of Xi-55 in stoke sound. For me the dt1990 pro is the better choice since it is far more robust, you can change pads and enhance sub-bass by pads rolling (Xi-55 still no spare pads available) and if you can EQ than the dt1990 are able to give you even better sub-bass. And for me stage is very important since brings lots of realism.

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #177 of 238
I have the dt1990 pro and the Xi-55. I made comparison b/n dt1990 and Tygr 300 and the 300 sound like loudspeakers, I mean they are natural and wide but I do not think they beat the dt1990 pro (a bit more studio sound). So my longterm experience with Xi-55 and dt1990 pro is:
- stage: dt1990 >> Xi-55, Xi-55 has a bit bigger than average stage for closed-back while dt1990 competes well in stage with open-backs;
- sub-bass: Xi-55>dt1990, I am not 100% sure is it the volume or the quality of the sub-bass that I feel is better in Xi-55 but the 55's sub-bass is better separated from mid-bass and exactly footsteps are clearly defined - the detail is very clear but not very loud. Mid-bass is equal on both.
- Mid range - a bit more forward in Xi-55 but more natural in dt1990 pro;
- highs and detail in highs: dt1990>Xi-55.
So, you have to decide do you want the wider stage of dt1990 or the better sub-bass of Xi-55 in stoke sound. For me the dt1990 pro is the better choice since it is far more robust, you can change pads and enhance sub-bass by pads rolling (Xi-55 still no spare pads available) and if you can EQ than the dt1990 are able to give you even better sub-bass. And for me stage is very important since brings lots of realism.
Thanks 🙏
Still waiting more guys recommendations 🌹

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #178 of 238
I had these headphones since March but now I'm only getting sound ouf of left side. Tried doing a warrantly claim on Austrian Audio website and they emailed me saying check my cable or do a claim with the dealer. (I bought this from bhphotovideo.com) Paid a bunch of money to get a cable replacement but that didn't work. Guess I'll buy a different brand of closed headphones.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #179 of 238
I had these headphones since March but now I'm only getting sound ouf of left side. Tried doing a warrantly claim on Austrian Audio website and they emailed me saying check my cable or do a claim with the dealer. (I bought this from bhphotovideo.com) Paid a bunch of money to get a cable replacement but that didn't work. Guess I'll buy a different brand of closed headphones.
That's not a good move on their part. They might be a good company with other audio gear but they are still pretty new to the headphone game. They need to get a good following and one of the main things they can do is to have good customer support. I tried the HI-X55 for just two weeks but it wasn't to my liking. I hope you get some resolution from someone.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #180 of 238
What has B&H said when you contacted them about doing "a claim" with them? I recommend forwarding that communication from Austrian Audio to B&H support once you have established communication with B&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back