I've been looking for a place to audition a variety of headphones and so
far I haven't had any luck whatsoever. Most of the stores have headphones
as an afterthought and only stock Sennheisers. I'm looking for a store with
a bit more variety brand and model wise so thus I can make a more informed
decision on my next headphone purchase. The brands I specifically would like
to see are as follows:

AKG
Beyerdynamic
Grado (I don't think stores stock or ship these to Australia *shrugs*)
Audio Technica

But yeah.. any fellow Brisbaners know of any good stores?

Thanks,
Swany

May 5, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swany
Hello All,

I've been looking for a place to audition a variety of headphones and so
far I haven't had any luck whatsoever. Most of the stores have headphones
as an afterthought and only stock Sennheisers. I'm looking for a store with
a bit more variety brand and model wise so thus I can make a more informed
decision on my next headphone purchase. The brands I specifically would like
to see are as follows:

AKG
Beyerdynamic
Audio Technica

But yeah.. any fellow Brisbaners know of any good stores?

Thanks,
Swany

Heh, I'd be interested in a store like this too
smily_headphones1.gif

Grado's are stocked in Aus, the first decent headphones to touch my ears were RS1's. If you want parts/equip www.headphones.com.au Marcus is a great dealer, but if you want to hear them side by side in Brisbane... good luck! I'm sure theres a store someplace.

May 5, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 39
Anyone want to organise a Brizzie meet then? I can bring the HF-1's...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer
Anyone want to organise a Brizzie meet then? I can bring the HF-1's...
very_evil_smiley.gif

MS-2 and some amps here

I got to listen to some AKG k501s.........somewhere :/ Off the top of my head i cant remember where but it'll come to me so i'll post up where it was if you're interested.

but they didn't seem to have a huge range of headphones there. k501 is just what they had lying around so it's what I listened to whilst there

May 5, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swany

We can get grados in australia but they get massive markups because of the way grado has things set up.. or something.

However, there's a company called alessandro who sells tweaked versions of grados, and they dont have the same restrictions on international sales as grado does, so they're available for reasonable price

that said, i've yet to be to a shop that stocks them. headphones.com.au has them

caxton audio on caxton st *had* some grado sr60 but from memory they weren't there last time i went there

May 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 39
I got my MS-1's from headphones.com.au they are great people to deal with. I don't know any headphones stalls in Brisbane. I know JB Hifi stock Sennheisers but that would be about it. It's quite a shame I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in a dedicated headphones/ music store.

May 5, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 39
Yep, Marcus is great, friendly and good service.

From what he said he stocks Alessandro because Grado are just a pain in general to get and Grado as said have big mark-up as well.

Too bad you don't live over here as he has a nice range
tongue.gif

Could use his 20 day trial period, but because you only get credit and have to pay return shipping, that would only be good if you've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 at most and they're around the same price.

Good luck anyway, I've now realised how good I have it...
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 39
A meet would be cool though I don't really have anything to bring to the table as of yet.. except maybe $20 digitor headphones lol. Thats the main reason I want to audition headphones.. lack of experience. Anyho.. I've had a bit more of a look around and I've found two places that may be alright.

www.musiclab.com.au:
They stock AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sony headphones. Their range isn't huge but at least they got something else other then sens.

Ipswich HiFi, TV and Video:
I rang the dude up and aksed him if they have Audio Technicas or Beyerdynamics. He said they have a good range of Audio Technicas and said that I could come in bring my own cds to try out their various headphones with the various amps they have around. Seemed like a nice bloke over the phone. I'll let you know more about this place and the other brands they stock on Monday.

Swany

May 8, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 39
If you guys organise a meet, I have a trusted customer that I'd send a few pairs of headphones to for you to play with under his supervision
smily_headphones1.gif

Just don't ask for too many
tongue.gif

May 8, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 39
hmm a brisbane headphone meet eh. I'd be up for that. I've got DT880's, DT770's, MS-1 and a talisman T-3H amp i could bring along. Not to mention a reasonable source in my laptop (firewire audiophile)

May 8, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 39
Hmm I guess I could add my ER4's (in P and/or S form) and my PA2v2 to the mix... but where?

EDIT: Thanks Swany, I shall check out that shop in Ipswich. Be interested to hear some A-Ts.

May 8, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 39
Sounds like all we need now is a venue n' time. I'd offer up my place but I already got 7 people living here so tis a bit too crowded.

I checked out that Ipswich place too.. its not worth going there for headphones.. other Hi-Fi equipment perhaps but yeah.. shame. They had Audio-Technica ATH-M30, ATH-P1 and two more.. forget what they were though but nothing from the A, AD or W series. I also checked out the guitar shop near the Ipswich train station nothing there either. Looks like I'll just have to buy blindly. Thankfully headphones.com.au have a 20day trial :-/.

Swany

EDIT: Typo.

May 8, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 39
i still dunno the store where i heard the AKG 501s.. but it's across the street from Dick Smith Electronics in the gabba..

if we have meet i can probably bring modded alessandro ms-2, original master headphone amp.. and i'll contact coem audio and ask if i can borrow their ming da mc66ae for the meet because i'm in contact with them anyway and it's a nice amp

for location maybe we can use a room at uni if no one's house is suitable? I go to qut and they may let us use a room on a weekend.. or we could just show up and use it without asking..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
If you guys organise a meet, I have a trusted customer that I'd send a few pairs of headphones to for you to play with under his supervision
smily_headphones1.gif

Just don't ask for too many
tongue.gif

Of course we wouldn't abuse your kind offer by asking for too many! Just the leatherhead and ms-pro will do
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back