AUSTIN Meet - April 16, 2011 (3-6PM at Whetstone Audio)
Apr 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #91 of 110
yeah I wish it was longer too but beggars can't be choosers. I already glad that we can actually have an event after 4 years. Maybe Brian will be having such a good time that he'll extend his welcome. Who knows. Anyway, I made an edit to the OP. Basically we need some tables and on the safe side bring a power strip for your equipment. It's better to be safe than sorry. So whoever has a vehicle that can carry a table and has one available, please bring it so we can put our equipment on a table instead of the ground. Thanks!

I have some 4 foot banquet tables. I cna try to bring one. I was going to come straight from SA to the meet, but I'm trying to get in Friday to get my new stuff, get prepared, and bring a table.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #92 of 110

Quote:
Well bummer I was hoping to listen to lcd-2's and hd800's, but no big deal congrats on the sell.

quietly wondering what amps runeight will be bringing. just realized this but for about the past year i always said it in my head as rune eight hahaha (even though I am interested in diy amps still would love to see which ones my ears seem to like)

PS: anyone bringing any DIY amps, bijou, ehha, b22, etc etc? Just curious...I guess I could go look at the main page again

my balanced b22 is to large sorry

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #93 of 110

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like this is already more successful than Whetstone anticipated. Next time may need a bigger venue and I'd also suggest longer duration. Dallas meets were 9am to 5pm and the time just flew by.

Have a good meet guys and take lots of pictures.

Yeah, the duration kind of bugs me now too. With this many people I think we need more time to introduce, much less have a listen with different gear.

I'm sure it'll be fun none the less. We just need to plan for a bigger one next time (sooner rather than later I hope).

Agreed.  Would it be possible for people to arrive an hour or so early so we can have everything setup and ready to listen to right at 3pm to make the most of the time?  3 hours seems like a really short window for the amount and quality of gear that will be in attendance, to me anyway.  I can imagine everyone there who hasn't yet heard the LCD-2 is going to want to give it some listening time among others.  
It almost makes me want to suggest we work out some sort of after-meet meet somewhere if that 6pm is a hard closure.  Just a thought. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #94 of 110
Aite so I gave Brian a call and he said we'll just play it by ear. He doesn't really have a large shop and he's the only one that runs it so I totally understand his concerns. I know he doesn't want it to last forever so we should be considerate and thankful that he's already willing to open up his shop for beer. If you could, just limit to the headphones that you think others might be interested. So please use your best judgement. Picture a small starbucks and that's about the size of the shop. 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited that this is happening and I hope you guys are excited too. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #95 of 110

Quote:
dan1son - how is the compass so far? have you had more time to really listen to it now?

I'm really liking it.  I actually changed the jumpers to "bright" since I noticed some missing super high frequency stuff that was bothering me (I hear like a freakin dog still... up to about 20k).  It was really knocking down starting at about 16k when set on Neutral compared to my other gear (I'd guess 6+db curving upwards from 15-16k).  The change seemed to bring it back up where it should be.  I guess I could see why you'd want to keep it on Neutral with some brighter cans, but the HF2s seem to need it on bright.  I don't think bright makes it brighter than normal, I think the jumpers add some filtering actually bringing it down a tad. 

It's solid though.  Very powerful and clean.  The DAC works great with my speaker setup as well.  Only complaint is the thing sure puts out some heat :).  

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #96 of 110

Quote:
Aite so I gave Brian a call and he said we'll just play it by ear. He doesn't really have a large shop and he's the only one that runs it so I totally understand his concerns. I know he doesn't want it to last forever so we should be considerate and thankful that he's already willing to open up his shop for beer. If you could, just limit to the headphones that you think others might be interested. So please use your best judgement. Picture a small starbucks and that's about the size of the shop. 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited that this is happening and I hope you guys are excited too. 

I for one am very excited and extremely appreciative of the kind hospitality of our host.  I do however wish I knew a bit more about his particular taste in beer or stronger libations so I could bring him something I know he would enjoy for so graciously opening his shop to us.  :wink:

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #97 of 110

I'll see if I can make it around 2, but I'll probably be on time at 3 with a table. Thankfully I'm not bringing any of the GOTTA TRY IT gear, but I still want to get my full time at the meet.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #98 of 110
Perhaps my friend from Houston will join me.  He may bring GS-1000 and HE-5LE with Vincent KHV-1.

Edit:  He's also considering bringing his Will Vincent, no relation to the above :^ 0, Dyna 70 in triode with heaphone connections at the speaker taps.

Edit:  I'll also bring my DIY (built by a friend but I have no idea what's inside except for the alps volume pot) transistor Class A hp amp.  Pretty clean sounding.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #99 of 110
Sounds like the roof's gonna come down lol.. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it now with finals and projects though -__-"

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #101 of 110
Haha, you're right.. I've been a slacker. I'll see what I can do! :)

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #102 of 110
I see where there is also some kind of vinyl crawl involving Whetstone tomorrow.  Hope this doesn't turn into a clusterf*ck.  
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #103 of 110
Our 3 week old had to go to the Dr. this morning due to an ear infection so I'm going to be a little late due to pharmacy fun.  

Please save me a spot!  I'll need about 2 feet of table space to setup my gear.  Be there around 3:15-3:30 as a guess. 

Can't wait!

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #105 of 110
This meet was the most fun I've had in a long time. LCD 2s & HE 5s just blew my mind.

There should be some pictures coming soon. I didn't take any because I saw so many other people with cameras, and mine wasn't that great.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm buying a ZO Personal Sub & Clip+ for the ultimate portable combo. That little thing just floored me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back