Austin City Limits
Apr 29, 2006 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
How many of you can't wait for ACL to come on every Friday night on PBS! I absolutely love the ACL broadcasts. They have the finest musicians/performers in the best genres. I'm watching/listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station on ACL right now. This is a fairly old re-run, but still... it's Alison Krauss and Union Staition at Austin City Limits! My favorite ones that I've seen so far are Los Lonely Boys, Ben Folds, Amos Lee, AK&US, and Robert Randolf and the Family Band.

Anywho, do you all watch this fine bit of free television programming? If you don't I thoroughly reccomend it.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 20
I've only seen a couple of them, however I caught one about 20 years ago with Nanci Griffith on it. It introduced me to her. I'm probably the only one on here that listens to her but I just love her music.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 20
Funny you mention it, as my cable box with DVR (from the cable company) is going bad, so I have to exchange it tomorrow. As part of that, I looked back at old recordings I had that I'll be saying goodbye to tomorrow with the exchange of boxes, and one of those recordings was an ACL episode that had Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) with M. Ward and Jim James (from My Morning Jacket). Their energy made me forget I'd tuned in to see Wilco (who preceded them) in the first place. I'm going to miss that DVR recording, and will capture it again next time it's re-played.

Other episodes I love:
  1. Ray LaMontagne (he followed Ben Folds)
  2. Susan Tedeschi followed by Ruthie Foster
  3. Neko Case (she followed Rosanne Cash)
There are many fantastic ACL episodes, but those are just a few from the last couple of years that come to mind.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Funny you mention it, as my cable box with DVR (from the cable company) is going bad, so I have to exchange it tomorrow. As part of that, I looked back at old recordings I had that I'll be saying goodbye to tomorrow with the exchange of boxes, and one of those recordings was an ACL episode that had Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) with M. Ward and Jim James (from My Morning Jacket). Their energy made me forget I'd tuned in to see Wilco (who preceded them) in the first place. I'm going to miss that DVR recording, and will capture it again next time it's re-played.

Other episodes I love:
  1. Ray LaMontagne (he followed Ben Folds)
  2. Susan Tedeschi followed by Ruthie Foster
  3. Neko Case (she followed Rosanne Cash)
There are many fantastic ACL episodes, but those are just a few from the last couple of years that come to mind.

Ray Lamontagne is one of my favorite artists, as of late. His song "How Come" is my favorite.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm IN Austin!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 20
On Saturdays they broadcast ACL on their HD channel. It's great.

Quote:

...one of those recordings was an ACL episode that had Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) with M. Ward and Jim James (from My Morning Jacket). Their energy made me forget I'd tuned in to see Wilco (who preceded them) in the first place. I'm going to miss that DVR recording, and will capture it again next time it's re-played.

I was just about to mention that one as well. Their rendition of Ward's "O'Brien" is better than the version on End of Amnesia. And the performance of MMJ's "Golden" was also superb. That Wilco performance was the first time I saw Jeff after he had emerged from rehab and he looked really unhealthy. But the incredible guitar work of Nels Cline is always a joy to watch.

I keep missing the Neko episode. It's played twice since we started our digital cable subscription and I either forgot to watch it or I was busy.

The recent My Morning Jacket episode is also very good. And I also enjoyed the homecoming performance by Austin's own Spoon.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
....Their rendition of Ward's "O'Brien" is better than the version on End of Amnesia....

I love the whole episode, but "O'Brien" was definitely the highlight for me, and, as you mentioned, it's better than the rendition most would know (from the album).

I'll have to look out for the recent MMJ episode you mentioned.

I just checked the schedule, by the way, and the Ray LaMontagne episode is going to be re-broadcast on May 6.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I just checked the schedule, by the way, and the Ray LaMontagne episode is going to be re-broadcast on May 6.

Thanks for the info.
580smile.gif
I've only seen the Jack Johnson episode. Enjoyed it.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Back in the day (the 70's) my then girl friend, now-spouse, and I lived in Austin as poor grad students. ACL admission was free and so was the beer, the latter to insure a more enthusiastic audience, many of whom were suitably altered in other ways I suppose. Music lovers and impecunius Austinites would line up acouple of hours in advance. I can't recall whom I saw live versus all the ACL performers I have watched on the tube since. Viewing an ACL show is still a kick for a number of reasons: the musical taste of those who chose the artistes, the way the performers respond to the ACL setting & audience, the way the production focuses on the music, and of course, the personal memories that ACL evokes. By the way, I am no connisseur of music videos but Lucinda Williams' ACL DVD is wonderful, highly recommended.

Ingo, thanks for reminding me.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 20
I caught Nickel Creek on ACL a few years ago and it drove home the fact to me what an incredible band they are.

Gotta love the format, too. Very intimate.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Thanks for the info.
580smile.gif
I've only seen the Jack Johnson episode. Enjoyed it.

Dang! I can't believe I missed the Jack Johnson episode. I also haven't seen the Nickel Creek episode that someone else mentioned. It took me a while to warm up to Nickel Creek when they first came on the scene a few years ago but now I can't get enough. I didn't like their latest CD, however.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 20
I didn't realise they showed them on tv since i rarely turn mine on
tongue.gif

I have the SRV concert on DVD though

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 20
The Pixies was my favorite performance of 2005.

Past favorites include The Allman Brothers, Phish, Beck, Widespread Panic, Buena Vista Social Club, Tracy Chapman, Ben Harper and anytime Stevie Ray Vaughan or Willie Nelson performed.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 20
Yeah, I'm also in (& from) Austin and I've heard stories (from my parents mostly) like the one Jeff told about the (free!) beer as a way to boost attendance. These days no such generosity exists unfortunately. I hear it's still a good show often though. My personal favorite is unquestionably the Stevie Ray Vaughn performance that's become pretty famous that he did for ACL. He was really something special. It's a real shame that sometimes someone so good for this world can be taken from us the way he was. The guy was an awesome musician who IMHO could really convey emotion through music in an uncanny way.

Ah, sry. My post kinda got away from me here. I guess basically my point is SRV + ACL =
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back