Austin 2012 meet impressions
Mar 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #46 of 84
I've noticed myself buying a lot of equipment people describe as 'musical' and I think it's where I'll end up overall. I don't need to hear every last shred of detail. Music just isn't as fun that way, IMO. I did love the 007 and want a pair, but they wouldn't replace the LCD 2. The weight that the LCD 2 put into the music is just fantastic.

I bought my new MMGs and UPA-1s because I heard they were the most 'musical' of my choices as well.

...I really hate that word though. lol
Quote:

As for me I truley enjoyed listening to Travis' LCD-2. While I thought I'd really enjoy it on the β22 (and I did), I enjoyed it even more on my F5. Really a fun, musical headphone. Maybe not the last word in detail, but let's face it, the stats really hold the championship where that's concerned. That said however, there are many a day I'd gladly give up a little detail for a musical presentation.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #47 of 84
Could have just been noise interference, but they did seem slightly thin on the Beta. I liked their balance with the Pass better. As far as the treble I suppose I've been spoiled by stats and balanced armatures and their inherent speed and resolving capabilities. Really no dynamic can keep up with their performance in this area. Any dynamic can with significant treble has at least some harshness to my ears now. This is why I mentioned mids possibly being recessed with the Beta since treble response seemed boosted and somewhat harsh.

To make a real evaluation I would need to listen for longer with more material and in a dead environment. This was about as good as it gets for a quiet area in a large meet for this headphone, but it was still far from ideal.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #48 of 84

Quote:
I've noticed myself buying a lot of equipment people describe as 'musical' and I think it's where I'll end up overall. I don't need to hear every last shred of detail. Music just isn't as fun that way, IMO. I did love the 007 and want a pair, but they wouldn't replace the LCD 2. The weight that the LCD 2 put into the music is just fantastic.

I bought my new MMGs and UPA-1s because I heard they were the most 'musical' of my choices as well.

...I really hate that word though. lol

I know what you mean. I use that word for lack of a better term. I suppose that if classical were my main music interest, stats would be the clear choice, but it's not, and I can get pretty close as far as detail is concerned in my rig. I've decided I want more of a fun presentation in whatever semi-portable phone I end up buying.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #49 of 84
I can see why you like them Steve and I have to say that it took me a while to mentally adjust to the presentation. They sound so polite relative to the Audeze and seriously bass "less" but when you give them their dues, they really shine. Bass remains a little on the lesser side but there is no doubt that they can present any type of music with alarming clarity. I also agree with you about the mids, they remind me an awful lot of the vintage ortho mids ; just really well balanced with a dollop of life. As for your rig, well it is seriously lacking in tooobz but gorgeous as hell. 

..dB

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #50 of 84
that liquid lightning looks absolutely stunning....

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #53 of 84
Do Austin meets come fully equipped with Rudy's x-tra moist brisket?  

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #55 of 84
Mar 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #56 of 84

Quote:
I can see why you like them Steve and I have to say that it took me a while to mentally adjust to the presentation. They sound so polite relative to the Audeze and seriously bass "less" but when you give them their dues, they really shine. Bass remains a little on the lesser side but there is no doubt that they can present any type of music with alarming clarity. I also agree with you about the mids, they remind me an awful lot of the vintage ortho mids ; just really well balanced with a dollop of life. As for your rig, well it is seriously lacking in tooobz but gorgeous as hell. 

..dB

The AKG K1000 can be quite the toss up. If you think the differences in the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD3 is big, the differences in the K1000 from model to model is plain silly.

I was fortunate to own one of the best sounding units i had heard from Smeggy. In fact, i sold the LCD-1 to buy the K1K. That K1K was truly special. Fantastic mids reminiscent indeed of the vaunted vintage yammy orthos, albeit with only a slight hint of edge. The bass too was pretty darn good for such an out of the box design. It would really spook me out sometimes by throwing out instruments to my left, right making me whip my head around to see what was going on. Very realistic. 

Ultimately, i just couldn't come to terms with the strident highs which would rear its head every now and then. Best of the non-planar headphones and very unique experience to these ears, IF you are lucky with the right set.

Quote:
It's bloody huge. I didn't expect it to be that big when comparing it to the LF, but it makes sense considering the PSU is in that case as well.

Yeah, the PSU board is as big as the SRM-323 sitting on it. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #58 of 84
My head-fi home page is my subscriptions so I never look at the real home page, heh. Nice to see it up there. Bigger and better next time!

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #59 of 84
We'll need people to chip in next time for a bigger place. I'd also like to get it big enough to get some people to fly in for it. :D

We'll start planning again for next year towards the end of the summer maybe? Then again, we might be getting too ahead of ourselves.

Quote:
My head-fi home page is my subscriptions so I never look at the real home page, heh. Nice to see it up there. Bigger and better next time!

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #60 of 84
Baby steps! But yeah lets give it a rest for a while. Got a whole year to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back