Aussie DIY builder for a balanced β22
Nov 9, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 104
I could give DIY a go, but certainly not at the kind of price level the beta 22 is at. Something lower and... more disposable.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 104
If you're buying the kit from Jeff you get to specify exactly what parts you want or don't want, so if you don't want the transformer just uncheck the box on the MS Excel list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could give DIY a go, but certainly not at the kind of price level the beta 22 is at. Something lower and... more disposable.
wink.gif

Whet budged is not as big as our dreams there is a problem. However, you can build the Beat22 in steps. Like 2-channel version at first, then add more channels as you have the money, more S22 power supplies, then add bigger heatsinks (if you want to run speakers), then custom front panels, remote-controlled stepped attenuator, etc. But you don't need to spend much money to get the amp working.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 104
I'd almost be inclined to put my hand up but I'm about to begin the 70-80 hour weeks that are the lead-up to Christmas. If you're happy waiting until a bit into the New Year, I might be more available...

If you're not feeling all that confident with DIY, I recommend heading down to your local Jaycar and picking up their headphone amp kit. Its dead easy to make, cheap and there's plenty of scope for you to frig around with mods to increase your understanding and DIY-ness. Extensive support threadhere.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #34 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, you can build the Beat22 in steps. Like 2-channel version at first, then add more channels as you have the money, more S22 power supplies, then add bigger heatsinks (if you want to run speakers), then custom front panels, remote-controlled stepped attenuator, etc. But you don't need to spend much money to get the amp working.

Good point. Maybe we should be taking the DIY route then. My lack of confidence comes from not having a clue about schematic diagrams or having any experience soldering anything but the odd cable. I'm also not so confident about the case work side of things, or taking on the seemingly complex version of the B22 I'm after, given that I have no idea what I'm doing... but I used to like lego...
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe we can orgainise a series of DIY Build meets. If we could get one or two more experienced members interested and involved, we could focus on one section of the amp at a time together. We could (for example) populate a B22 board in one session, then go home and complete the remaining B22 boards (the remaining 47 boards in my case
evil_smiley.gif
) before we meet to do the 'next bit'.

TBH I would love to have the confidence to build it myself... any interest in this idea?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #36 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. Maybe we should be taking the DIY route then. My lack of confidence comes from not having a clue about schematic diagrams or having any experience soldering anything but the odd cable. I'm also not so confident about the case work side of things, or taking on the seemingly complex version of the B22 I'm after, given that I have no idea what I'm doing... but I used to like lego...
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe we can orgainise a series of DIY Build meets. If we could get one or two more experienced members interested and involved, we could focus on one section of the amp at a time together. We could (for example) populate a B22 board in one session, then go home and complete the remaining B22 boards (the remaining 47 boards in my case
evil_smiley.gif
) before we meet to do the 'next bit'.

TBH I would love to have the confidence to build it myself... any interest in this idea?

Yes, let's DIY it'll be alot more fun, cheaper and you'll get to hear me swear heaps. Great idea I'm up for it, the DIY meets sound a great idea, it will give us all a bit more confidence instead of going it alone. And we'll actually be learning along the way which will be totally cool. I've ordered a mini m3 to get comfortable with the iron. Casework will suck, definitely going to get par-metal ones ordered. I think with heads together on this we can pull it off, support will be good. A B22 board soldering session would be a great starting point...
Poo, where the hell did you get 48 boards from? Planning on lighting up some Martin Logan Statements?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHOA! what are you planning to do with 48 (!) B22 boards!?!?

OK... might have got a bit excited... but there'll be a few!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and you'll get to hear me swear heaps.

Pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to win that competition!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered a mini m3 to get comfortable with the iron... I think with heads together on this we can pull it off, support will be good.

You don't muck around! Already got a bit of DIY ordered minutes after deciding - nice one!

Yeah I think support will be invaluable. It would be especially good if we can find a B22 builder/enthusiast who would like to come along on the journey! Perhaps we should have a preliminary GTG in a few weeks (once we all have a few basics sorted and soldering irons etc) so we can discuss/plan it all, and have a bit of an 'intro to soldering and DIY' session?

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #39 of 104
Hmmm, thinking out loud....

...I would like to have something good to plug my headphones into that also mutes the speaker outputs (i.e. wife friendly, rather than plugging a keyboard into my media server and reconfiguring the ALSA output devices), and unmutes the speakers when the headphones are removed. (Remember the old days when your speaker amp did that?)

I have Spendor S9s (previous version to the S9e, but IIRC with very similar specs - about 90dB sensitivity, 8 ohms nominal, 6 ohms minimum). I also have a half-decent integrated surround sound amp (IIRC Rotel conservatively rates it at 75W RMS x 6 IIRC but I've rarely run it higher than about 30dB below max volume). So far my wife hasn't been very keen on adding more boxes and cables to the living room so I'm running it stereo only.

So if I give up on surround sound, maybe a β22 and a separate DAC would be a great combination...?

However it seems like it the wallet shock adds up a bit when you want to drive speakers with a bit of authority, want a remote control for the volume (and it would be interesting to try bi-amping the speakers but I have no idea if that can be done without doubling the number of cards and/or power supplies). Any ideas on plausible prices for that (or even for poo's requirements which would give me a ballpark idea)?

I know it's Head-Fi heresy
tongue_smile.gif
but I suspect the tab would be high enough that I'll want to hear one in my system first to see if the extra $$$$ are worth it to me...and being ill and just coping with work I can't engage in any DIY myself either. Maybe I'll have to watch this one from the sidelines yet...

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #40 of 104
If you were in Melbourne, I'd be willing to help you DIY one up yourself, I can solder pretty much anything (I repair mobile phones and solder pretty much everything you find in them). I just don't want to take on any more work for myself as I have 4 unfinished projects on my bench at the moment all over a year old
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wonder, when ordering from Jeff, is the kit going to be 100% free of defect, what if there are some parts broken?
it will be a nuisance to wait another intl shipping just for that
frown.gif

You're chances of defect parts are probably on par with what they'd be if you ordered from Digikey or Mouser, Jeff's a sharp operator. If you're referring to making sure a kit is correct: he is only human, maybe a little super-human but still human...and there are local sources for most things, its just handy and cheaper to go through Jeff for one-offs and single bits you're probably better off going to WES (or RS, Farnell or Jaycar).

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were in Melbourne, I'd be willing to help you DIY one up yourself, I can solder pretty much anything (I repair mobile phones and solder pretty much everything you find in them). I just don't want to take on any more work for myself as I have 4 unfinished projects on my bench at the moment all over a year old
frown.gif

I'm in Melbourne, and am interested in an home amp for my AKG K601. How much would it be for one completely built?

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #43 of 104
Quote:

just wonder, when ordering from Jeff, is the kit going to be 100% free of defect, what if there are some parts broken?
frown.gif

I know how disappointing this could be, but these projects take time with lots hiccups along the way, eventually you get there
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #44 of 104
Quote:

frown.gif

I've built a few amps now, and I can't recall getting any bad parts from Jeff or any of the supply houses. I tend to order a few extra resistors and capacitors, just in case, but never had to use them. But, of course, nothing is risk free.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #45 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've built a few amps now...

Sounds like you might need at least one more! Canberra to Sydney is such a great drive in a GT too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I would like to have something good to plug my headphones into that also mutes the speaker outputs (i.e. wife friendly, rather than plugging a keyboard into my media server and reconfiguring the ALSA output devices), and unmutes the speakers when the headphones are removed. (Remember the old days when your speaker amp did that?)

DAC1 USB does that. I can't tell you how much I hate forgetting the amp is still on from a day or two ago when I had it up loud, then unplugging my headphones to switch to another pair... late at night... Nothing makes my insides jump more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back