Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #886 of 2,761

Quote:
Will be getting these very soon as they just cleared customs. Who requested a comparison with a UM TF18 (TF10 upgraded to 6 drivers)?

Why I did sir. 
ph34r.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #887 of 2,761

Some pics of how things are coming along. So I'm painting the right piece black/red, and wanted to paint the left piece white/blue, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the white to go on evenly. I may have to resort to spray painting the face plate, or just painting it black as well. It's nice and shiny now with the polyurethane coating on it. Can't wait til it's all dried up :D 

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #888 of 2,761
wow, thats a really good paint job, clever you painted the letters red and blue, because theres not much to indicate right and left save for the shape of the earpiece, i say paint the other black as well, the blue and red telling you the left and right, great job man !

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #890 of 2,761

Quote:
What flimsy little audiologist box are you speaking of ? Surely not the Otterbox case Aurisonics ships in, that thing is built stronger than a tank. 

certainly not the otterbox, good sir. i'd sleep easy knowing my impressions were shipping in an otterbox (or pelican case). i speak of the flimsy cardboard box that my audiologist used to package my impressions.

also, i reckon we're going to keep deviating from the topic until our units arrive. dum de dummm... *twiddles thumbs*

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #892 of 2,761
That looks cool as hell.

Quote:

Some pics of how things are coming along. So I'm painting the right piece black/red, and wanted to paint the left piece white/blue, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the white to go on evenly. I may have to resort to spray painting the face plate, or just painting it black as well. It's nice and shiny now with the polyurethane coating on it. Can't wait til it's all dried up :D 

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #894 of 2,761
Hey thanks guy. I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. The right side turned out exactly how I envisioned it. I may end up painting the left side black after all. I got the blue/red, left/right idea from my SM3s, which contain bits of blue and red rubber on the crossovers (?) that are visible through the transparent plastic. As for the black/white thing, that was from staring at my Wii and PS3, the PS3 is piano black with a red LED, and the Wii is a glossy white with an illuminated blue disc slot, so I thought those were really cool color combos that I wanted to emulate. As for the paint I used, it's nail polish believe it or not. I decided against acrylic paint simply because it wouldn't be as easy to apply, and with nail polish, I could use a bit of acetone on a fine brush to remove any mistakes I made. I'm going to seal it with two coats of polyurethane, which should hold it pretty well considering it's the same stuff that protects my hardwood floors and the wood trim around my house. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #895 of 2,761
The new round shaped Compy TS500 tips came in today. I usually don't like Comply at all, but these are perfect for the ASG-1 (unless you're going to get custom tips). Great isolation and I feel like I'm in a room designed for an audiophile system. Comfort is sublime!!

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #896 of 2,761
Eric, you prefer the Round Comply tips or double flange tips, I checked out the TS500 too but wanted to wait a bit for impression because the tips are not cheap

Quote:
The new round shaped Compy TS500 tips came in today. I usually don't like Comply at all, but these are perfect for the ASG-1 (unless you're going to get custom tips). Great isolation and I feel like I'm in a room designed for an audiophile system. Comfort is sublime!!

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #897 of 2,761
okay time to steal my girlfriends nail polish haha. So just use the nail polish brush to apply and then get another small fine brush to fix it up?

Quote:
Hey thanks guy. I'm really pleased with how well it turned out. The right side turned out exactly how I envisioned it. I may end up painting the left side black after all. I got the blue/red, left/right idea from my SM3s, which contain bits of blue and red rubber on the crossovers (?) that are visible through the transparent plastic. As for the black/white thing, that was from staring at my Wii and PS3, the PS3 is piano black with a red LED, and the Wii is a glossy white with an illuminated blue disc slot, so I thought those were really cool color combos that I wanted to emulate. As for the paint I used, it's nail polish believe it or not. I decided against acrylic paint simply because it wouldn't be as easy to apply, and with nail polish, I could use a bit of acetone on a fine brush to remove any mistakes I made. I'm going to seal it with two coats of polyurethane, which should hold it pretty well considering it's the same stuff that protects my hardwood floors and the wood trim around my house. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #898 of 2,761

Quote:

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #899 of 2,761

Quote:
Eric, you prefer the Round Comply tips or double flange tips, I checked out the TS500 too but wanted to wait a bit for impression because the tips are not cheap

I wouldn't say I prefer eclipes. The Comply gives the best isolation. It may add a tad more refinement. I can't choose, I like them both but the sound isn't exactly the same when using one instead of the other.

Seems like the TS500 pulls out even more micro-details from the ASG-1. I'm listening to Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" and it is almost as if I've never heard this song before. A lot of nuances I've missed before apparently..

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #900 of 2,761
Yeah, basically. What I did was, I first did the lettering. Since the lettering is engraved, I just dabbed the red/blue polish over the surface so that it got into the grooves, then I used a paper towel to dab the surface to take some of the excess off. once it dries, the polish will stay inside the grooves since it the lettering is recessed. You then use a thin brush, dip in acetone (get some 100 percent acetone from Home Depot or something) and carefully clean the excess polish off the faceplate. It's very easy. Let that dry for 15 minutes, then I used the black, I painted on a thin coat all around the lettering, let it dry, and painted another coat to get the black looking even. If you mess up, use the brush and acetone to clean it off, it comes off instantly. If you are feeling paranoid, test the polish on another piece of plastic and then use the brush to take it off with the acetone after it dries, it should come off easily. The tiny little spaces in between the A and the S takes a bit of finesse. You'll need one of the nail art brushes to paint that (the tip of the brush is about .07 mm or so like a fine tip pen). let it all dry real good and apply a sealer on top like a polyurethane and you should be good to go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back