Aurisonics ASG-1: Which tips are the best? (with reviews to come)
Mar 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #121 of 143
What I heard in the Rihanna song I was listening to does fit his (I hope it's a he, sorry if you're a girl) description.  However, what I hear using my Etymotics also fits that description, which intrigues me to why it hasn't been mentioned on Etymotic reviews as well on here.  I didn't hear it before because our definitions of "shouty" were different. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #122 of 143
Maybe the shape of his ear canal attenuates this frequency or resonances, like how some people (myself) aren't sensitive to sibilance?

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #123 of 143

Quote:
Maybe the shape of his ear canal attenuates this frequency or resonances, like how some people (myself) aren't sensitive to sibilance?

It's not one person who hears either way.  The actual numbers are polarized, split in half (4 hear one way, 4 hear the other).  That's something that is really interesting with the outcomes.  Half can't stand that sound, half love it.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #124 of 143

Quote:
It's not one person who hears either way.  The actual numbers are polarized, split in half (4 hear one way, 4 hear the other).  That's something that is really interesting with the outcomes.  Half can't stand that sound, half love it.

Haha. Am I in that tally? I'm pretty indifferent.
Like I said before, what bothers me more is when I hear vocals that are just below the hump sound kind of dead.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #125 of 143

Quote:
Haha. Am I in that tally? I'm pretty indifferent.
Like I said before, what bothers me more is when I hear vocals that are just below the hump sound kind of dead.

LOL, I hate that too, and you are in the tally :p 

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #126 of 143

Quote:

Interesting!  I have older Sony tips as well, but haven't put any foam in them.  That's a great idea that I may have to give a shot!

At present, I find the Monster Supertips small gels to be the best.  They present the treble with more clarity and emphasis while being comfy.  They fit quite nicely over the ASG-1 nozzles:

goodness that is a huge driver! I love it!

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #127 of 143
Could someone confirm whether the ASG-1s are 3.5mm or 4mm bore?  I believe the M11 tips are 4mm and the Monster Supertips are 3.5mm, but slightly stretchy.

Is the fit with M11 tips loose, or Supertips tight?  I believe the M6 tips are 3.5mm also - has anyone tried any of these tips?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #128 of 143
Supertips lean towards the tight side but since its stretchy, i was able to get it on with a good fit. Not sure about the M11

Quote:
Could someone confirm whether the ASG-1s are 3.5mm or 4mm bore?  I believe the M11 tips are 4mm and the Monster Supertips are 3.5mm, but slightly stretchy.

Is the fit with M11 tips loose, or Supertips tight?  I believe the M6 tips are 3.5mm also - has anyone tried any of these tips?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #129 of 143
Just a quick update on custom tips:

Received my custom Tips for the ASG -1. They are very comfortable. Made of silicone. Takes a bit of time to figure out how to place these onto the ASG's as they are a very tight fit, could also be used for other headphones as well i'm sure. They fit extremely comfortably and provide excellent seal. combined with the filters, they really push back the mids. Instrumental separation seems to be improved as well. Comfort wise, they are a significant improvement over other tips I've tried as they don't fall out and provide excellent isolation.

Due to the wide nature of the bore and the silicone material of the tips, I'm a little concerned about how much of a beating these can take. 

Adding these tips on will push out the ASGs from being flush against your ear. For me, the entire ASG shell has been pushed out past my ear, with only the cables, the custom tips, and a small area of the lower border resting against my outer ear. Despite this, it is actually very secure and much more comfortable. For those of you who have smaller ears or for which the ASGs don't provide a great fit to your outer ear, this is a very viable and comfortable option. Even for those for whom the ASG fits well, there can be some soreness or fatigue after wearing it for several hours which these have solved. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #130 of 143
Quote:
I think most people aren't use to the shoutiness because the ASG-1's to my ears, don't roll off the mid frequencies.  It puts the mids very in your fast and lets them extend, sustain, and carry the note out.  Kind of like mini-crescendos off every emphasized notes in the mid frequencies, which makes sense for a stage or even recording monitor, but it's not what many users are accustomed to, so they may roll it off into "shoutiness", which may or may not match your definition.

I think there's a difference between no roll-off and pain. The spikes have calme down a bit with burn-in and a change of tips (Comply Ts-500 => MEElec M11 mushrooms), but with high-pitched female voices, I still get occasional ringings in my eardrums, which is not exactly pleasant, and I'm not especially sensitive, coming from a few Shure IEMs very focused on mids. And this is with a -2 to -4dB EQ-ing down in the higher mids, so imagine without this.
wink.gif

I expect ASG-1 to become extremely pleasant with the filters on, if they don't lose too much of their excellent stereo imaging (the forward projection is very nice and quite different from the envelopping feeling of my SE535Ltd).

Quote:
Sidenote: Some quick/random thoughts.  Been burnt in around 50 hours maybe and these do sound different than the first few days.  Definitely not as harsh, seems to have calmed down quite a bit removing a deal of the speakerbox effect.  Yes-the mids and their shoutiness effect has also smoothed out a bit, but the characteristic is still there of course, naturally.

I'm with you here, I have already experienced burn-in before with dynamic driver IEMs, but not as dramatic as with those. Bass was non-existant in the beginning, speakerbox feeling was unbelievable, and mids were just unbearable even with male voices.

Quote:
Bass seems stronger, more textured.  Though still not quite as strong yet for my preferences.  Sub-bass is there, definitely, but I feel these are lacking a bit in mid-bass.  Thing with these are that a track needs to have bass in it- like really engineered into it, if the recording or track just half-arsed it into the song then the track will sound very sparse and plain, except for the occasional sub-bass rumble.  Alternatively with great recordings, they produce well with tight, controlled bass.  For more general audiences, I think these would benefit with  some EQ/BBE or use of the digizoid ZO.  Seems to fill in some of the hollowness in the mid-bass section and add a touch of warmth.

After about 100 hours of burn-in, mines have plenty of bass (and sub-bass, which you don't find that easily in other IEMs, especially with armature-based ones).
Coming from UM3X and SE535Ltd, ASG-1 have wonderful bass, I went from +4dB EQ-ing in bass to 0 after burn-in. SE535Ltd/UM3X are still at +4dB and don't go much into sub-bass in comparison.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #131 of 143

Quote:
Just a quick update on custom tips:

Received my custom Tips for the ASG -1. They are very comfortable. Made of silicone. Takes a bit of time to figure out how to place these onto the ASG's as they are a very tight fit, could also be used for other headphones as well i'm sure. They fit extremely comfortably and provide excellent seal. combined with the filters, they really push back the mids. Instrumental separation seems to be improved as well. Comfort wise, they are a significant improvement over other tips I've tried as they don't fall out and provide excellent isolation.

Due to the wide nature of the bore and the silicone material of the tips, I'm a little concerned about how much of a beating these can take. 

Adding these tips on will push out the ASGs from being flush against your ear. For me, the entire ASG shell has been pushed out past my ear, with only the cables, the custom tips, and a small area of the lower border resting against my outer ear. Despite this, it is actually very secure and much more comfortable. For those of you who have smaller ears or for which the ASGs don't provide a great fit to your outer ear, this is a very viable and comfortable option. Even for those for whom the ASG fits well, there can be some soreness or fatigue after wearing it for several hours which these have solved. 

Would it be possible to get some pics of the tips in and out of your ear? Thanks

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #132 of 143
Hi all,

i've byed these great In-Ears in this Forum.
These tips where tested following -> Aurisonics original (S), Audeo Phonak silikon (S), Sony Hybrid (S), Triflanges and last but not
least the Compact Monitor Double Flanges http://www.compact-monitors.de/cms/in-ear-zubehoer.html
These are by far the best for me and my ears.

To use it : the trunk of the flanges I have to be reduced below the 2 flanges

Result:
- Very good seal and no pain or irritation.
- Bass is crisp and dry with sharp contours more than. Much better than before.
- Mids I feel this even more detailed than given anyway
- Highs great by the minimal extension of the acoustic tube is playing up the ASG very clean, the sound image was previously little dull .....

Before this i missed the treble but now everything is harmonious sounds for me.
Also, I am of the opinion that has increased the figure / space including some of the detailed mapping.

I hope to help the one or the other with my statement.

Please sorry for my bad english ........
wink_face.gif

Best regards

Jens

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #134 of 143
Quote:
I've been trying out tips for my ASG-1s after I got them. So far, the best is the sony hybrid clone with foam inserts that came with my GR07.

The best tips I've used by far are the extra long single flanges that come with the Meelec M11. You may want to check those out.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #135 of 143
I don't have access to meelec tips I'm afraid.

Posting here to confirm that monster supertips (foam-silicone hybrids) fit the ASG-1s and actually are quite comfortable and seal quite well. I haven't really detected anything wrong with the SQ so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back