Aurisonics ASG-1: Which tips are the best? (with reviews to come)
Feb 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

Bazirker

500+ Head-Fier
The ASG-1 is an interesting new headphone which, for some, seems to deliver top-tier sound.  However, there is a consensus that the stock tips included with the ASG-1 are junk.  Let's figure out what tips works on these phones!

I will review the ASG-1 here with the different tips I have available to me over the next week or so.  In the meantime, here is a short list of tips which will fit on the ASG-1:

Meelec tips (such as those included with the M11)
Sony hybrids
UE single flange
Monster triple flanges
Monster supertips
AUVIO Tips (thanks eat2na)

I will update this list as the thread goes on.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 143

Quote:
The ASG-1 is an interesting new headphone which, for some, seems to deliver top-tier sound.  However, there is a consensus that the stock tips included with the ASG-1 are junk.  Let's figure out what tips works on these phones!

I will review the ASG-1 here with the different tips I have available to me over the next week or so.  In the meantime, here is a short list of tips which will fit on the ASG-1:

Meelec tips (such as those included with the M11)
Sony hybrids
UE single flange
Monster triple flanges
Monster supertips

I will update this list as the thread goes on.

These ones will fit also. I use them on my Pro-Coppers and are very similar to the Sony's.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10788687#

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 143
Bazirker, I had a very good experience with the regular (non-hybrid) Sony silicone tips when I had the ASG-1, they have a much bigger sound bore than Sony hybrids and I put a de-cored Comply foam underneath to improve seal and isolation.  I also use these sometimes on my IE8s with excellent results. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 143
how is the soundstage on the ASG 1 compared to the IE8/IE80?

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 143

Quote:

It's actually hard to compare them, the ASG-1 has a very unique presentation.  While the IE8 has a big airy presentation, the ASG-1 has a very real, your there at a live venue presentation.  It's really unlike anything I have experienced before and honestly really needs to be heard to be appreciated. 

interesting..now im gonna spend a long time racking my brains deciding between the two. ><!

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 143

Quote:
Bazirker, I had a very good experience with the regular (non-hybrid) Sony silicone tips when I had the ASG-1, they have a much bigger sound bore than Sony hybrids and I put a de-cored Comply foam underneath to improve seal and isolation.  I also use these sometimes on my IE8s with excellent results. 

Interesting!  I have older Sony tips as well, but haven't put any foam in them.  That's a great idea that I may have to give a shot!

At present, I find the Monster Supertips small gels to be the best.  They present the treble with more clarity and emphasis while being comfy.  They fit quite nicely over the ASG-1 nozzles:

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 143
The genuine UE silicon has always worked best for me with wide nozzle tubes.  I say genuine because like anything, it can be counterfeited and like most counterfeits, it is never the same as the real deal.  Like most ear canals, they are asymmetrical.  Some more than others.  I think mine are on the more side.   Below are my Atrio custom sleeves to exemplify this, and notice the big difference between the left and right (red tip).  Off the topic, I do feel the custom sleeves are a good investment for the mg7.  It keeps the signature low bass, provides unparalleled isolation and comfort, preserves the neutral sound, but brings out more of the mids due to the sound tube being closer to your ear drum:

I've owned all the super.fi and tripe.fi universal models and always found the stock UE tips the best.  They are also good to substitute on other manufacturers like Sennheiser and Grado IEM's.  What I really like about the UE tips is their stiffness.  Similar tips don't have enough stiffness when formed inside the ear and gives away to easily, along with that goes the seal.  Below is a side by side comparison of the stock large ASG-1 silicon tip and the UE size large.  You can see they are very similar to shape and size:

The ASG-1 tip is on the left

Where the two differs greatly is in the side wall stiffness and this is what makes or breaks the seal for me.  I'm applying about the same pressure as I'm holding each tip and you can see how the ASG-1 tip easily collapses:

Regarding the sound difference.  I didn't really notice any significant sound changes and didn't really expect much change from the beginning.  The biggest change is the fit and seal.  For me, it's like night and day, and makes a world of a difference. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 143
Wow, fantastic post.  I'll have to play around with the UE tips more on the ASG-1 to see if I detect any differences.  Due to the visual similarities between the UE tips and stock included with the ASG-1, I just assumed they would perform similarly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back