Aurisonics ASG-1: Which tips are the best? (with reviews to come)
Mar 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #62 of 143
Idk if any of you have tried, but some tips do need to generally break in a bit after some time (some more than others). Have any of you actually used the stock tips for 50 hours before swapping out?

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #63 of 143
the stock tips definitely work out for me but the medium size is too small but the large size is too big... omg my ear size is right in between. But im currently getting good results with Monster supertips, these didn't work at all for me on the um3x but i guess its quite nice with the asg-1

Quote:
Idk if any of you have tried, but some tips do need to generally break in a bit after some time (some more than others). Have any of you actually used the stock tips for 50 hours before swapping out?

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #65 of 143

Quote:
Tips need to be broken in?  Seriously?

This should be good.
popcorn.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #67 of 143

Quote:
Tips need to be broken in?  Seriously?

Yeah...  It's funny how pads need to too
wink.gif
  You know, it's one of the reasons why people who don't believe in burn in say that we hear burn in in the first 50 hours, especially concerning bass...  Oils (from your skin and ear) sort of lubricate the tip as you use it, it allows it to seal a little easier, etc.  The force of your ear on the tip itself can slightly warp the shape of the tip as well providing a better seal over time... 

Now, you don't have to believe that lubrication and a change in the "springyness" (k constant) of a tip will change the seal that given tip provides, but I'm going to say it can, especially the second one.  Honestly, take a standard large silicon tip, place it under a large book (say a full-sized calc book) for a day and see how the shape changes...  Do it for two days...  Then three, watch the progression, it'll change in shape.  Obviously this isn't the force that your ear puts on the tip, but it is a constant force on a tip (your ear does the same when it's in your ear).  Sure, it's a little accelerated, but it can make a difference.  Now, I'm not saying you have to believe that the shape change will cause a change in seal (which in turn changes sound lightly), but it definitely can make a difference (kinda' like how pads can seal with our ears better over time, tips can do the same thing).

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #68 of 143
If any of you got the CKM50's, I like those tips; a fuller sound, that increases bass, tames the mids just a bit, and does't sacrifice clarity or presentation. They are pretty much the exact diameter opening as the nozzle, and are firmer and longer than the stock tips. I'm not sure yet how/if they change the treble. Dsnuts says they shape the sound similarly to UE tips but I can't confirm this.

For the record, with stock tips, I can only get a seal at a very specific depth and angle of insertion.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #69 of 143

Quote:
Yeah...  It's funny how pads need to too
wink.gif
  You know, it's one of the reasons why people who don't believe in burn in say that we hear burn in in the first 50 hours, especially concerning bass...  Oils (from your skin and ear) sort of lubricate the tip as you use it, it allows it to seal a little easier, etc.  The force of your ear on the tip itself can slightly warp the shape of the tip as well providing a better seal over time... 

Now, you don't have to believe that lubrication and a change in the "springyness" (k constant) of a tip will change the seal that given tip provides, but I'm going to say it can, especially the second one.  Honestly, take a standard large silicon tip, place it under a large book (say a full-sized calc book) for a day and see how the shape changes...  Do it for two days...  Then three, watch the progression, it'll change in shape.  Obviously this isn't the force that your ear puts on the tip, but it is a constant force on a tip (your ear does the same when it's in your ear).  Sure, it's a little accelerated, but it can make a difference.  Now, I'm not saying you have to believe that the shape change will cause a change in seal (which in turn changes sound lightly), but it definitely can make a difference (kinda' like how pads can seal with our ears better over time, tips can do the same thing).

I would argue that the tips are so soft that there is no way you are deforming them enough to even approach plasticity and you shouldn't have any resulting permanent change in mechanical properties.  The tips getting warm in your ear will change the stiffness and damping coefficients of the material much, much more than "breaking them in."  

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #71 of 143
Foam tips have a known lifespan and I would not argue that they functionally don't change with time; I assumed our discussion is of silicone-like tips.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #73 of 143

Quote:
I would argue that the tips are so soft that there is no way you are deforming them enough to even approach plasticity and you shouldn't have any resulting permanent change in mechanical properties.  The tips getting warm in your ear will change the stiffness and damping coefficients of the material much, much more than "breaking them in."  

So the oval shape that my Etymotic tri-flanges have is not deformed?  That's odd, cause they sound different than my new pair...  My new pair is also circular, and not oval shaped...  I'm 99.9% sure that the shape that my ear put on the Etymotic tip has changed its sound. Again, a constant force on anything will slowly change that thing.  Tips are no different, a constant force on a tip will change it's shape slightly.  As time goes, the slight changes will better match your ear and create a better seal.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #74 of 143
I don't think just the k constant would be valid for a silicon tip in an ear. As far as the physics acting on the tip itself, it would be very difficult to determine the directional forces acting on the tip due to the difference in peoples ears. Not that I disagree that tips change over time, I just think that attempting to quantify that would be opening a huge can of worms (mathematically speaking).

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #75 of 143

Quote:
I don't think just the k constant would be valid for a silicon tip in an ear. As far as the physics acting on the tip itself, it would be very difficult to determine the directional forces acting on the tip due to the difference in peoples ears. Not that I disagree that tips change over time, I just think that attempting to quantify that would be opening a huge can of worms (mathematically speaking).

If they change, there is a chance that they can create a better seal since the forces acting on them are normal to the shape of your ear.  It slowly causes the tip to shape closer to the shape of your ear.  This can cause a better seal, which in turn can cause an overall better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back