Aurisonics ASG-1: A Review
Apr 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 65

Quote:
@tinyman #12 Source is as mentioned in the first post: MBP with/out amp and an iPod Touch 4G. I have given people a chance to audition these and they also echo my thoughts on the bass - overwhelming quantity. Tips: Sony Hybrids is what I currently use. The double flange Senn tips and TF10 silicone tips aren't comfortable. More or less, they almost sound the same. I'm glad you found the right IEM. Don't blame my preferences. I'm actually a fan of stage/neutral/uncoloured monitors and I like headphones such as the HD600 and the DT880. Bass heavy IEMs? Not really my type. I like just the right amount of bass. TF10 is Vshaped, IE7 and IE8 rather bass heavy, Westone 4 is balanced, the SE425 is quite neutral while the UE700 is balanced although bass is lacking a bit. 

@delladood #15 Yes the ASG-1 is different. Of all the IEMs I have heard, none come close. It has a live signature and that's all I can say. What's "audiophile" headphones anyway? Anyway, I love reference or neutral headphones but in my opinion, the ASG-1 doesn't suit my taste at all.

@vwinter #21 Yes it may be like an old picture but not many people like watching old movies.

@TD #26 Unique yes, special not for me. At least, the only thing I am wowed is its lively presentation - it's like being in a concert hall. 

EQ-less, I'm not a fan at all. I can't even determine its sound signature. Don't think it's neutral, V shaped, balanced or even dark. 

Aren't your tastes your preferences?  I still want to blame them since I read an almost 100% bias in the review.  Rather than the IEM is of bad quality, it just doesn't suit you (and your people).  That's fine to say.  Saying it's outright bad quality because it doesn't suite you (and your people) is just misleading (especially for users who don't read past the OP).

I'm still curious what specifically makes your ASG-1 bass heavy that it would intrude upon the mids...  I'm running off of an iPod Touch 4G with UE tips which provide more bass than the Hybrids (I tested Hybrids as well).  I still don't see how the bass can intrude upon the mids.  As for you not liking bass heavy phones, half of your list is bass heavy (TF10, IE7, IE8).  The W4s (to my ears have a slight dip in the mids; Etymotic HF2 and ACS T15 midrange used for comparison). 

You are correct that this IEM isn't neutral, V-shaped, balanced (with respect to lows and highs), warm, dark, etc.  I would actually define them as warm and sweet, definition as defined by ClieOS in his multi-IEM post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-atomic-floyd-superdarts-remote-added-march-1st-2012).  The warm and sweet signature would fit nicely in here.  

Quote:ClieOS
A warm and sweet sound signature is a cross between a bass oriented and a mid centric sound. Bass strong but not overwhelming while vocal is still relatively forward, though not particular detail in the treble. It is a sound that is generally recognized for being-nothing-wrong, but at the same time doesn’t have any particular strength.

This IEM at hand (ASG-1) doesn't fit the generally recognition of being nothing wrong or not having a particular strength though, but by definition, it will fit into that signature as it has stronger (but not overwhelming) bass and forward vocals (and mids) while lacking detail in the treble.  I think it describes the ASG-1 pretty well.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:
Thanks for the review, and while I disagree with the majority of your review, I appreciate the effort.

Cheers buddy! What do you think of the ASG-1?

I really enjoy them! The sound sig is definitely different than anything I had previously heard. from a technical standpoint, they impress me quite a bit. The bass quantity and quality is also there for me, but it does lack impact, which seems contradictory, but true. My only complaints are the rolled off treble (beat to death), its not even THAT bad for me, but if i have to pick one, and poor quality tips included in the box.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #33 of 65

Quote:
Aren't your tastes your preferences?  I still want to blame them since I read an almost 100% bias in the review.  Rather than the IEM is of bad quality, it just doesn't suit you (and your people).  That's fine to say.  Saying it's outright bad quality because it doesn't suite you (and your people) is just misleading (especially for users who don't read past the OP).

I'm still curious what specifically makes your ASG-1 bass heavy that it would intrude upon the mids...  I'm running off of an iPod Touch 4G with UE tips which provide more bass than the Hybrids (I tested Hybrids as well).  I still don't see how the bass can intrude upon the mids.  As for you not liking bass heavy phones, half of your list is bass heavy (TF10, IE7, IE8).  The W4s (to my ears have a slight dip in the mids; Etymotic HF2 and ACS T15 midrange used for comparison). 

You are correct that this IEM isn't neutral, V-shaped, balanced (with respect to lows and highs), warm, dark, etc.  I would actually define them as warm and sweet, definition as defined by ClieOS in his multi-IEM post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-atomic-floyd-superdarts-remote-added-march-1st-2012).  The warm and sweet signature would fit nicely in here.  

Almost 100% bias?
What I like from the ASG-1: live presentation, fit, design, wide soundstage
What I don't like: Shouty mids, too much bass for me, not detailed enough, recessed highs, strange vocals

I am used to hearing the HD600 so when I say strange, it really sounds so different to the same recording I hear on the HD600. Tinyman, what's your reference headphones?

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 65

Quote:
Almost 100% bias?
What I like from the ASG-1: live presentation, fit, design, wide soundstage
What I don't like: Shouty mids, too much bass for me, not detailed enough, recessed highs, strange vocals

I am used to hearing the HD600 so when I say strange, it really sounds so different to the same recording I hear on the HD600. Tinyman, what's your reference headphones?

I used multiple reference points to gauge quantity of the lows, mids, and highs.  I tried to select similar IEMs, but that isn't always possible.

Midrange references: Etymotic HF2, Etymotic EtyKids, ACS T15 were used to reference.  The Etymotic's mids were the most like the ASG-1.  For bass references: Westone 4R, Etymotic HF2, ACS T15.  For treble references: Etymotic HF2, ACS T15, Phonak PFE232.

The Westone 4R and Phonak PFE232 were placed in there to gauge quantity

Low-end quantity: Westone 4R > Aurisonics ASG-1 >= ACS T15 >= Etymotic HF2
Mid-range quantity: Etymotic EtyKids > Etymotic HF2 >= Aurisonics ASG-1 >= ACS T15
High-end quantity: Etymotic HF2 > Phonak PFE232 > Aurisonics ASG-1 >= ACS T15

As for your bias, you had 2 things that you liked in your review (audio-wise).  Even when you state a positive point, you quickly roll it over with several negative points.  If you read your audio section it basically reads:

Neutral negative negative negative negative negative negative negative
Negative neutral positive negative neutral negative negative negative
Positive negative negative negative negative negative negative

Yes, you did talk about the soundstage at first, you called it decent.  Decent has the average quality behind it (tone-wise).  Decent normally means, OK, fine, but not good or great.  So you essentially turn a really positive into a neutral and run over it with plenty of negatives.

It basically has a negative bias around the entire review.  Even your word selection and tone are negative through out the review.  You don't emphasize any positive point, you just roll it over with more negative.  However, you emphasize all the negative points thoroughly.  You may not be aware of this, but word choice, and tone play well into a review to give how a reviewer feels about something.  When something is this negative, it throws me a red flag about both a bias and a preference playing a role in the review. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #35 of 65

Quote:
It basically has a negative bias around the entire review.  Even your word selection and tone are negative through out the review.  You don't emphasize any positive point, you just roll it over with more negative.  However, you emphasize all the negative points thoroughly.  You may not be aware of this, but word choice, and tone play well into a review to give how a reviewer feels about something.  When something is this negative, it throws me a red flag about both a bias and a preference playing a role in the review. 

if he doesn't like it, nor found it exciting - his got all the rights to make it a negative review.
It might just be even psychological.

Either, or, I see what your trying to say tinyman, but why should he hide his real thoughts, feeling, words, expressions - just to make it sound nice.
For example: You read my IE8 and IE7 review? lol.

Everyone is entitled to a different viewpoint of these, and any other objects and things in this world.
I wouldn't try and back up how "amazing" the ASG-1's are, when the OP didn't like them.

That said, I found his review to be a little "dry" and short.
I guess the best way to put it is:
To the point, and blunt.

Everyone has a different approach to reviewing too! :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #39 of 65

Quote:
alright... point taken. you guys understand my place in the subject. maybe the AS-2 will yeild better results

we understand man, just no need for that.
You won't believe how much i HATE the IE series of sennheiser.
I would gladly wear my samsung stock earphones, rather than them.
Now that's saying something.

I don't go around insulting the company or earphone.
At least I can't remember doing LOL (been over 2 years)

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #42 of 65
@tinyman I will stop debating here because I sense fanboyism. I cannot comment on those Etymotics because I haven't heard them yet. On the soundstage part, decent means good and why I don't say that they're great is because I believe the IE8 has a bigger and better soundstage. Subjectivity do play a role in every review. Thanks for the comment though you seem extremely upset I criticise your favourite IEM. 

@TD Exactly, there's negatives and there's positives. In this review, the negatives outweigh the positives coming from a neutral point of view. 

It's hard to do an honest review and not get flamed on, but I'll still communicate my original thoughts. Out of 20+ headphones/IEMs I gone through, the only headphones I criticise so far are Shure SRH940 and this IEM. YMMV

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #43 of 65

Quote:
It's hard to do an honest review and not get flamed on, but I'll still communicate my original thoughts. Out of 20+ headphones/IEMs I gone through, the only headphones I criticise so far are Shure SRH940 and this IEM. YMMV

that's very true.
Although mainly the earphones I OWN, and have enjoyed, and I really like, and its very hard to find them "bad" - even the ASG-1's that I didn't like - i think are very CAPABLE earphones.

Do you find that if these were tuned, you would have enjoyed them more?
I find that if these were tuned...say more like the MG7's (almost polar opposites of the ASG-1's) i would have preferred them, and sold off the other earphones. (fit/comfort/pain obviously was an issue for me, but that's something else)

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #44 of 65

Quote:
that's very true.
Although mainly the earphones I OWN, and have enjoyed, and I really like, and its very hard to find them "bad" - even the ASG-1's that I didn't like - i think are very CAPABLE earphones.

Do you find that if these were tuned, you would have enjoyed them more?
I find that if these were tuned...say more like the MG7's (almost polar opposites of the ASG-1's) i would have preferred them, and sold off the other earphones. (fit/comfort/pain obviously was an issue for me, but that's something else)

Definitely, if it's tuned to a more neutral signature (while maintaining the live soundstage) I wouldn't need other IEMs. Everything's good except for the overall SQ on the ASG-1, which is understandable as they are a new audio company. I personally think as they grow they would be top contenders in the market. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #45 of 65

Quote:
Definitely, if it's tuned to a more neutral signature (while maintaining the live soundstage) I wouldn't need other IEMs. Everything's good except for the overall SQ on the ASG-1, which is understandable as they are a new audio company. I personally think as they grow they would be top contenders in the market.   

let's see what Dale has for us in store :D!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back