Aurisonics ASG-1: A Review
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:
Why does it seem like the ASG-1's are the only headphone where I cannot envision the sound signature.  I can't even begin to fathom or create a mental idea of the sound due to the mixed reviews.  Some people praise them. Some hate them.  I'm actually afraid to receive these headphones due to the wide spread reviews.  I don't see how adding a user-controlled filter to the package could "EQ" the sound signature when its directly inside the headphones.  As it has been stated, weren't these headphones specifically designed for stage production? not audiophiles? Perhaps were all missing what music is actually supposed to sound like.  But comparing a $299 dollar pair of headphones to a pair of beats by dre... well its just plain ridiculous.  Exaggeration is one thing, but that guy really took it to the next level.  We all have sound signatures we don't like.  I personally love upfront mids, so im sure I wont have a huge deal with these IEM's.  They are a very new company.  Options for upgrading, customization, so on so forth in the future, really makes me feel like these iems are a good buy?? Perhaps some comply foams could tone down the "awful" mids.

I notice how you apparently are highly critical on the SE535.  I infer that you don't like those either??? Perhaps because they are notorious for upfront mids? Before you bash the heck out of a new headphone and immediately shut the idea of other people purchasing the headphones.   Perhaps say. "I really couldn't enjoy them, as I was not a big fan of the sound signature, mainly the upfront mids."  

It's hard to envision a signature when everyone is EQing them to get them to sound like Y rather than X.  It's another reason I don't EQ.  Also, the fact that tips make such a difference on these, as well as fit.  Everyone is using a different tip, modding it differently, etc as well. 

As for the praise vs hate, it's a matter of preference.  This signature will not work for everyone.  If you are looking for an IEM with a v in the center, don't go barking up the Aurisonics tree (yet, the AS-2s, based on Dale's description, sounds like it'll have a slight V).  If you're trying to get a bass monster, you're barking up the wrong tree still, these aren't bass monsters.  Many of the reviews I read made it seem like the bass was overblown.  Instead, it's at a balanced level with the midrange (slightly recessed in comparison at times), but has excellent quality. 

These headphones were designed for stage use, but then again, so were the UM series Westones, which many seem to also praise, as well as the VSonics that have been mentioned and compared to so many times as well as the SM3 (to my understanding can also serve that purpose).  It's not a matter that audiophiles won't like a stage monitor, we actually like a lot of them and regard them highly.  I think many of the members who hate the IEM don't like it due to its signature, rather than its quality.  Even looking at the OP's list of IEMs, many of them represent bass-heavy phones, some with deep Vs.  That is certainly not what the ASG-1 is.

To help you picture a signature better, I'll do my best to describe the entire spectrum.  First, a basic idea of what the signature is like.  Think rolled off highs on an Etymotic IEM with deeper, more-present lows with better texture and punch.  That is the ASG-1 in a nutshell (to my ears anyways):
  1. Bass: the bass is light, it's not heavy as many make it out to be.  This is certainly the first thing that got me when I got the ASGs.  They were bass light, while all the impressions made them seem like bass monsters comparing them to FutureSonics and other bass-heavy IEMs.  This is not the case.  The bass has amazing presence, but is on the leaner side.  The body is there, but isn't large.  The texture is the beauty of these as they are truly engolfing.  The sub-bass does have a good emphasis on these, but is slightly (and I mean only slightly) less emphasized in comparison to the mid-bass.  This combination creates a nice punch that gives an impact when needed.  I'd say that this bass is more accurate than it is fun.
  2. Mids: many complain about the spike at the 1.2k range (I've seen way too many people say it's the 12k range...  12k is treble, at least I'd hope).  The spike is a lot smaller than they put it.  Etymotics (HF2) give a slight increase from the 1k through to the 2k by about 2 dB.  The Aurisonics' spike is less than, or equal to that of the Etymotic.  As I've said many times, this is after burn in (both brain and driver for sure).  The areas in the midrange around this spike is slightly lower in loudness as the vocals were made to be boosted.  But again, only slightly (1-2 dB max).  In direct comparison to the HF5, the instrumentals are recessed in comparison to the Etymotic (the difference is so small though that you'd have to AB them to figure this out). 
  3. Highs: rolled off, like many have said.  They do come in better with burn in (both brain and driver) and do have a sparkle, but isn't up front.  It has problems keeping presence, and can seem hidden at times.  The highs are hardest to describe since they aren't as present, nor do they speak out as much.  High hats can sizzle well and create the main energy.  They are dominated by the mids and lows though.  There is some slight sibilance in the highs in certain sibilant tracks.

Please note that these impressions were made with UE single flange silicone tips as they sealed the best with my ear using the Sensaphonics seal test.  The stock tips do change much of the spectrum: lows a bit lowering the texture a tad while lowering the punch a little more.  They signature also gets more airy as a whole as well.

With all this said, I think you would actually like these IEMs since you do like mid-forward sound.  Be warned that these do offend.  I've heard so many IEMs that aren't offensive at all (PFE 232 being the biggest name).  These IEMs will offend you if you don't like the signature that is given.  It's hard to determine that is when everyone is EQuing, filtering, etc. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 65

It's hard to envision a signature when everyone is EQing them to get them to sound like Y rather than X.  It's another reason I don't EQ.  Also, the fact that tips make such a difference on these, as well as fit.  Everyone is using a different tip, modding it differently, etc as well. 

As for the praise vs hate, it's a matter of preference.  This signature will not work for everyone.  If you are looking for an IEM with a v in the center, don't go barking up the Aurisonics tree (yet, the AS-2s, based on Dale's description, sounds like it'll have a slight V).  If you're trying to get a bass monster, you're barking up the wrong tree still, these aren't bass monsters.  Many of the reviews I read made it seem like the bass was overblown.  Instead, it's at a balanced level with the midrange (slightly recessed in comparison at times), but has excellent quality. 

These headphones were designed for stage use, but then again, so were the UM series Westones, which many seem to also praise, as well as the VSonics that have been mentioned and compared to so many times as well as the SM3 (to my understanding can also serve that purpose).  It's not a matter that audiophiles won't like a stage monitor, we actually like a lot of them and regard them highly.  I think many of the members who hate the IEM don't like it due to its signature, rather than its quality.  Even looking at the OP's list of IEMs, many of them represent bass-heavy phones, some with deep Vs.  That is certainly not what the ASG-1 is.

To help you picture a signature better, I'll do my best to describe the entire spectrum.  First, a basic idea of what the signature is like.  Think rolled off highs on an Etymotic IEM with deeper, more-present lows with better texture and punch.  That is the ASG-1 in a nutshell (to my ears anyways):
  1. Bass: the bass is light, it's not heavy as many make it out to be.  This is certainly the first thing that got me when I got the ASGs.  They were bass light, while all the impressions made them seem like bass monsters comparing them to FutureSonics and other bass-heavy IEMs.  This is not the case.  The bass has amazing presence, but is on the leaner side.  The body is there, but isn't large.  The texture is the beauty of these as they are truly engolfing.  The sub-bass does have a good emphasis on these, but is slightly (and I mean only slightly) less emphasized in comparison to the mid-bass.  This combination creates a nice punch that gives an impact when needed.  I'd say that this bass is more accurate than it is fun.
  2. Mids: many complain about the spike at the 1.2k range (I've seen way too many people say it's the 12k range...  12k is treble, at least I'd hope).  The spike is a lot smaller than they put it.  Etymotics (HF2) give a slight increase from the 1k through to the 2k by about 2 dB.  The Aurisonics' spike is less than, or equal to that of the Etymotic.  As I've said many times, this is after burn in (both brain and driver for sure).  The areas in the midrange around this spike is slightly lower in loudness as the vocals were made to be boosted.  But again, only slightly (1-2 dB max).  In direct comparison to the HF5, the instrumentals are recessed in comparison to the Etymotic (the difference is so small though that you'd have to AB them to figure this out). 
  3. Highs: rolled off, like many have said.  They do come in better with burn in (both brain and driver) and do have a sparkle, but isn't up front.  It has problems keeping presence, and can seem hidden at times.  The highs are hardest to describe since they aren't as present, nor do they speak out as much.  High hats can sizzle well and create the main energy.  They are dominated by the mids and lows though.  There is some slight sibilance in the highs in certain sibilant tracks.

Please note that these impressions were made with UE single flange silicone tips as they sealed the best with my ear using the Sensaphonics seal test.  The stock tips do change much of the spectrum: lows a bit lowering the texture a tad while lowering the punch a little more.  They signature also gets more airy as a whole as well.

With all this said, I think you would actually like these IEMs since you do like mid-forward sound.  Be warned that these do offend.  I've heard so many IEMs that aren't offensive at all (PFE 232 being the biggest name).  These IEMs will offend you if you don't like the signature that is given.  It's hard to determine that is when everyone is EQuing, filtering, etc. 

thank you for the break down.  Yeah, all I constantly see is. "THESE EQ SO EASY!" well why EQ stuff??? If you put bass booster on or R&b with your ipod, your clearly going to lose the true potential of these headphones.  Everyone seems to be lowering the midrange.  On the contrary, if you have to lower the mids... doesn't that defeat the purpose of you buying that headphone if you hate the sound unless it is EQ'd.  Personally.  They look amazing.  People are using non-stock tips, which can also effect it, and I look forward to my birthday when I can put custom sleeves on these headphones and possibly get a cool new backplate(if they add them in the future.)  On the bass topic.  I can take it or leave it.  I love the atrios, they have great bass texture and quantity, but its definitely lacking in quality.  I liked the instrumental aspect of the TF10's, I found the bass way punchy, and way to strong actually.  The tf10's really lacked in the mid department.  They felt so distant and recessed, and un-textured.  I really cant pick up sibilance that well for some reason.  Perhaps I just haven't trained myself to do so? I feel like Ill love them.  The removable cable option will be great, same with the custom tips.  I need an iem that isolates well(which apparently these isolate AMAZINGLY?), is comfortable for at least 1-3 hours, and has a low profile design that can sling over my ear so when I ride my bike 20+ miles in competition, I dont run into issues with the cord catching my knees.  I'm sure the sound signature will be great as they sound quite intriguing.  I'll be sure to do an impression and a full on review.  I still feel like you and eke2k6 are the only people in which I can take an honest un-equed review from.  And you both seemed to enjoy them in their strengths but you definitely were able to notice their weaknesses.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 65

Quote:

thank you for the break down.  Yeah, all I constantly see is. "THESE EQ SO EASY!" well why EQ stuff??? If you put bass booster on or R&b with your ipod, your clearly going to lose the true potential of these headphones.  Everyone seems to be lowering the midrange.  On the contrary, if you have to lower the mids... doesn't that defeat the purpose of you buying that headphone if you hate the sound unless it is EQ'd.  Personally.  They look amazing.  People are using non-stock tips, which can also effect it, and I look forward to my birthday when I can put custom sleeves on these headphones and possibly get a cool new backplate(if they add them in the future.)  On the bass topic.  I can take it or leave it.  I love the atrios, they have great bass texture and quantity, but its definitely lacking in quality.  I liked the instrumental aspect of the TF10's, I found the bass way punchy, and way to strong actually.  The tf10's really lacked in the mid department.  They felt so distant and recessed, and un-textured.  I really cant pick up sibilance that well for some reason.  Perhaps I just haven't trained myself to do so? I feel like Ill love them.  The removable cable option will be great, same with the custom tips.  I need an iem that isolates well(which apparently these isolate AMAZINGLY?), is comfortable for at least 1-3 hours, and has a low profile design that can sling over my ear so when I ride my bike 20+ miles in competition, I dont run into issues with the cord catching my knees.  I'm sure the sound signature will be great as they sound quite intriguing.  I'll be sure to do an impression and a full on review.  I still feel like you and eke2k6 are the only people in which I can take an honest un-equed review from.  And you both seemed to enjoy them in their strengths but you definitely were able to notice their weaknesses.

Thanks for the compliments.  Regarding isolation, these are actually really great at doing it.  They aren't Etymotics as they don't isolate in that regard, but Etymotics are kind of overkill with isolation (and are in a league of their own) :p  These do a great job at it, you'll be fine in those terms.  Comfort-wise.  My results may be skewed (please note that).  I have really small ears, so these are a tight fit.  They took me a week to get used to.  This week was filled with some pain in the first hour (sometimes 20 minutes :frowning2:).  However, my ears have gotten used to them and I can easily wear them for 3-4 hours straight (I actually already did on a 4 hour bus ride :)).  No pain whatsoever any longer.  I don't see comfort being an issue for average-sized ears. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 65

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments.  Regarding isolation, these are actually really great at doing it.  They aren't Etymotics as they don't isolate in that regard, but Etymotics are kind of overkill with isolation (and are in a league of their own) :p  These do a great job at it, you'll be fine in those terms.  Comfort-wise.  My results may be skewed (please note that).  I have really small ears, so these are a tight fit.  They took me a week to get used to.  This week was filled with some pain in the first hour (sometimes 20 minutes :frowning2:).  However, my ears have gotten used to them and I can easily wear them for 3-4 hours straight (I actually already did on a 4 hour bus ride :)).  No pain whatsoever any longer.  I don't see comfort being an issue for average-sized ears. 

overall... How do you enjoy your experience with the ASG-1's. If you could go back in time.  Would you purchase, or save your moniezz.?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 65

Quote:
overall... How do you enjoy your experience with the ASG-1's. If you could go back in time.  Would you purchase, or save your moniezz.?

I'd say they are definitely worth the money, assuming you're fine with the signature. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 65
@Nikp
In what way do you find the bass lacking in quality? I've said before that it is more rounded without ridiculous impact, but the articulation and the amount of detail is substantial and impossibly smooth. I'd say that instead of it being a picture without any edges, it's more like film from 50 years ago, very smooth and romantic.

@tinyman392
I have to say that this has got to be a matter of softer impact. I can't possibly agree that these are bass light, and the note weight is way too heavy to call them lean. They have noticably more quantity than the GR07 which is just above neutral to my ears. And above all else, the most scientific measurement, my gf's ears, that are a bass magnet, see no issues with the bass quantity whereas my GR07's bass does not satisfy in terms of quantity. :D

Moreover, if you hear the mids as prominent, and they are, and you say the bass is balanced with the mids (which I for the most part agree with), then how are they bass light? I also think texture is just good at best due to the bass being more rounded, the GR07 having significantly more.

Nikp's impression I can understand, but yours I can't.

I feel you're both leaning toward the extremes of the distribution, but that's just how I hear it.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 65

Quote:
@Nikp
In what way do you find the bass lacking in quality? I've said before that it is more rounded without ridiculous impact, but the articulation and the amount of detail is substantial and impossibly smooth. I'd say that instead of it being a picture without any edges, it's more like film from 50 years ago, very smooth and romantic.
@tinyman392
I have to say that this has got to be a matter of softer impact. I can't possibly agree that these are bass light, and the note weight is way too heavy to call them lean. They have noticably more quantity than the GR07 which is just above neutral to my ears. And above all else, the most scientific measurement, my gf's ears, that are a bass magnet, see no issues with the bass quantity whereas my GR07's bass does not satisfy in terms of quantity.
biggrin.gif

Moreover, if you hear the mids as prominent, and they are, and you say the bass is balanced with the mids (which I for the most part agree with), then how are they bass light? I also think texture is just good at best due to the bass being more rounded, the GR07 having significantly more.
Nikp's impression I can understand, but yours I can't.
I feel you're both leaning toward the extremes of the distribution, but that's just how I hear it.

In regards to the bass.  The Etymotic bass is normally regarded as being bass light.  The Etymotics seem to have more bass in one are (which kind of creates a veil in some songs) while the ASG-1s do it in another.  The embodyment of the bass is large, but the punch isn't as large at all (to my ears).  So I can't really call them balanced (I feel the Etymotic gives a slightly better punch while the ASGs give better sub-bass).  Again, this is all to my ears.  Although the ASG-1 does have more of a mid-bass focus (as opposed to sub-bass), the Etymotics lack of sub-bass creates the illusion of better punch.  Moreover, I do want to mention balanced is in regards as a whole (in comparison to the highs).  The bass is slightly recessed (only slightly) in comparison to the mids (mids are still forward).  It's odd in that way.  Basically, the bass is on the lighter side rather than the bass monsters that all the descriptions make it out to be.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #23 of 65
I understand what you were saying now. Crisis averted :D
This seems to be a recurring theme with us lol.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 65

Quote:
I understand what you were saying now. Crisis averted
biggrin.gif

This seems to be a recurring theme with us lol.

LOL :p  It actually does seem to be what's happening with all of us :)

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 65

Quote:
LOL :p  It actually does seem to be what's happening with all of us :)

I cant wait until I get the asg-1's.... haha the anticipation. It be killing me!

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #27 of 65
@tinyman #12 Source is as mentioned in the first post: MBP with/out amp and an iPod Touch 4G. I have given people a chance to audition these and they also echo my thoughts on the bass - overwhelming quantity. Tips: Sony Hybrids is what I currently use. The double flange Senn tips and TF10 silicone tips aren't comfortable. More or less, they almost sound the same. I'm glad you found the right IEM. Don't blame my preferences. I'm actually a fan of stage/neutral/uncoloured monitors and I like headphones such as the HD600 and the DT880. Bass heavy IEMs? Not really my type. I like just the right amount of bass. TF10 is Vshaped, IE7 and IE8 rather bass heavy, Westone 4 is balanced, the SE425 is quite neutral while the UE700 is balanced although bass is lacking a bit. 

@delladood #15 Yes the ASG-1 is different. Of all the IEMs I have heard, none come close. It has a live signature and that's all I can say. What's "audiophile" headphones anyway? Anyway, I love reference or neutral headphones but in my opinion, the ASG-1 doesn't suit my taste at all. 

@vwinter #21 Yes it may be like an old picture but not many people like watching old movies.

@TD #26 Unique yes, special not for me. At least, the only thing I am wowed is its lively presentation - it's like being in a concert hall. 

EQ-less, I'm not a fan at all. I can't even determine its sound signature. Don't think it's neutral, V shaped, balanced or even dark. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 65
@nikp:
Lol fair enough. Not even Hitchcock?

I did like you using imagery to explain what you heard :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back