Aurisonic ASG Prototype Early Listening Experience and Tour
May 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #61 of 72
Quote:
I've been rocking out with the 1.2 revision for about a month now.  My taste is generally bass-heavy (Atrios, DT 770 Pro-80s), and I'm completely satisfied by the ASG-1.2s.

At first I bought a pair second-hand, sure I would sell them off - from what I'd read the initial revision had a very different sound signature from my preference.  They arrived with a malfunctioning driver and Dale offered to repair/replace them, even though the warranty is non-transferrable (has anyone mentioned he's an incredible and dedicated guy?).  I was in for quite the surprise when a brand new pair of 1.2s came back!

Since they've arrived they've become my go-to headphones - they have great clarity across the spectrum and plenty of bass extension for me, and depending on my mental burn-in all I EQ is a gentle slope up to +3 dB from 6k to 20k.  I also use them for stage monitoring on drum kit and I can hear tone and depth to my kit (such nice mids) that I never heard in the Atrios.  The treble roll-off is really nice for stage monitoring too, since on our rig we can't EQ the monitor channels separately to make highs less fatiguing.  I'm now actually considering selling the Atrios instead - a total reversal of my original intentions.

It's really thrown a wrench in my customs plans, as I was initially totally set on the mg6pros.  I really can't wait to hear some comparisons with the revised AS-1bs.  Again, for stage monitoring, the passive ambient ports are beautiful, as well as the shallower insertion.  If these new mystery ASxs are as tuneable as the AS-1bs, I'm sure I will only continue to get poorer. ._.

Well than also keep an eye out for the latest and greatest coming out from the company. There was no treble roll off in the prototypes I heard, though I didn't throw anything too harsh at them in that regard. Definitely went a lot higher and a lot more brisk than the ASG-1's. I also preferred the bass extension as well. The mids are nice but not in the same way as the 1's. So depending on what you want these may or may not be a better for what you're looking for.

May 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:
I had a long chat with Dale last week on the phone, and I just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread.
For those of you reading this and not knowing what the heck we are talking about, it may sound like some kind of weird cult of personality deal where we are all blown away by the amazing Dale and his persuasive personality. Let me just assure you that is not the case - he is just one of those truly nice guys, who is passionate about his work, AND happens to know quite a bit about the subject. That's a rare combo that I have only encountered a handful of times in this industry - someone who is humble and polite even though they have enough cred to justify being rude or full of themselves. For those who have yet to experience it first hand, I hope you get a chance to interact with Dale for yourself at some point. It's really a pleasure.
I'm also excited about the future plans and upcoming products. Obviously can't say anything, and haven't heard them yet for myself, but the potential is definitely there. Most exciting is the fact that Dale really has plans in place to do this right - not to be overwhelmed with orders from the HeadFi rush as has been the case with many new startup companies. He is really planning ahead to ensure proper growth and great service for all.

I concur! Dale is good people (and he has yet to send me the check for this endorsement...lol). This man talks about things I have no clue about, but somehow doesn't make me feel dumb about not knowing what he is saying. He can sense it and breaks it down for me, or he gives me enough information to spur me into doing my own research. I haven't heard the new products yet (although I hope to remedy that next week). From what I have heard about what he's working on, all I can say is that the head-fi community need to start saving up those dollar now. I believe it will be well worth it in the end. 
beerchug.gif

May 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:
I've been rocking out with the 1.2 revision for about a month now.  My taste is generally bass-heavy (Atrios, DT 770 Pro-80s), and I'm completely satisfied by the ASG-1.2s.

At first I bought a pair second-hand, sure I would sell them off - from what I'd read the initial revision had a very different sound signature from my preference.  They arrived with a malfunctioning driver and Dale offered to repair/replace them, even though the warranty is non-transferrable (has anyone mentioned he's an incredible and dedicated guy?).  I was in for quite the surprise when a brand new pair of 1.2s came back!

Since they've arrived they've become my go-to headphones - they have great clarity across the spectrum and plenty of bass extension for me, and depending on my mental burn-in all I EQ is a gentle slope up to +3 dB from 6k to 20k.  I also use them for stage monitoring on drum kit and I can hear tone and depth to my kit (such nice mids) that I never heard in the Atrios.  The treble roll-off is really nice for stage monitoring too, since on our rig we can't EQ the monitor channels separately to make highs less fatiguing.  I'm now actually considering selling the Atrios instead - a total reversal of my original intentions.

It's really thrown a wrench in my customs plans, as I was initially totally set on the mg6pros.  I really can't wait to hear some comparisons with the revised AS-1bs.  Again, for stage monitoring, the passive ambient ports are beautiful, as well as the shallower insertion.  If these new mystery ASxs are as tuneable as the AS-1bs, I'm sure I will only continue to get poorer. ._.

How does the bass (especially sub bass) on the 1.2s compare to the atrios? I've been wanting a direct comparison since I read about the 1.2 update.

May 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #64 of 72
Dale dropped by the Springtree office late last week to share this new prototype with us and get some feedback... He's asked us for feedback on several occasions when tweaking and building models but this was even a surprise to me. What he showed us I am not allowed to say a whole lot about other than the fact that they are even better than what I could have imagined.

All I can say is wow! This "prototype" is going to rock you guys. Don't get me wrong, the ASG-1 ver. 1.2's are incredible, especially for the price... but these new earphones he showed us are seriously my dream earphones. No availability date yet (and will probably be awhile) and no title on what they are going to be called yet... just be prepared. It will blow you away. I found them to be even more comfortable than the ASG-1's and I see them fitting a wider ranger of ear sizes better too. Aurisonics is definitely on to something! Besides this prototype, there's plenty of other goodies coming down the pipe too!

As you all know, the ASG-1 ver. 1.2 is available now as well and I was delighted with the modifications and overall sound improvements. If you have the original version, they can be upgraded to version 1.2 for $20 directly through Aurisonics. The ASG-1 ver. 1.2 will be tiding me over until the new model comes out (which could be awhile).

We have the ASG-1 ver. 1.2 available here:
http://springtree.net/catalog/aurisonics-asg1-generic-fit-digital-hybrid-inear-monitor-p-8439.html

Feel free to call us if you want to chat about their sound signature to find out if they're right for you.

- Matt from Springtree

Quote:

May 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:
Dale dropped by the Springtree office late last week to share this new prototype with us and get some feedback... He's asked us for feedback on several occasions when tweaking and building models but this was even a surprise to me. What he showed us I am not allowed to say a whole lot about other than the fact that they are even better than what I could have imagined.

All I can say is wow! This "prototype" is going to rock you guys. Don't get me wrong, the ASG-1 ver. 1.2's are incredible, especially for the price... but these new earphones he showed us are seriously my dream earphones. No availability date yet (and will probably be awhile) and no title on what they are going to be called yet... just be prepared. It will blow you away. I found them to be even more comfortable than the ASG-1's and I see them fitting a wider ranger of ear sizes better too. Aurisonics is definitely on to something! Besides this prototype, there's plenty of other goodies coming down the pipe too!

As you all know, the ASG-1 ver. 1.2 is available now as well and I was delighted with the modifications and overall sound improvements. If you have the original version, they can be upgraded to version 1.2 for $20 directly through Aurisonics. The ASG-1 ver. 1.2 will be tiding me over until the new model comes out (which could be awhile).

We have the ASG-1 ver. 1.2 available here:
http://springtree.net/catalog/aurisonics-asg1-generic-fit-digital-hybrid-inear-monitor-p-8439.html

Feel free to call us if you want to chat about their sound signature to find out if they're right for you.

- Matt from Springtree

Should I assume price estimates of the "prototype" is confidential? 

May 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Should I assume price estimates of the "prototype" is confidential? 

Pretty sure their can't be a proper estimate until they are not labelled prototypes. The final version....I would imagine more than $300 USD, or rather, more than the ASG-1.2's. 

May 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

- Matt from Springtree

More encouraging news..  I'm looking forward to what Dale and ASG have come up with.  Although the ASG-1 didn't do it for me, I was able to hear the potential within.  I'll be waiting.

May 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

More encouraging news..  I'm looking forward to what Dale and ASG have come up with.  Although the ASG-1 didn't do it for me, I was able to hear the potential within.  I'll be waiting.

I definitely wouldn't be discouraged from at least testing the new headphones when they come out. The sound signature of the prototype I listened to is enough of a departure to appeal to some of those who didn't like the 1's. There is no headphone for everyone, but these will be a closer to a neutral sound and have better extension at both ends, especially the highs. The bass was surprisingly better as well. I really love the bass on the 1's and was surprised to enjoy the bass on the new ones more. I think a price increase is fair as their is a lot more to them than the 1's and the sound they offer. I could see myself paying a dropping a pretty penny for these if I wasn't sure I wanted to try a custom. Dale is actually the one who convinced me to go this route as he was telling me about the difference in hearing the universal vs the custom and got me excited to try it out for myself. So thanks for making me spend more money Dale :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back