Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #961 of 985
I think they've stopped making them 2-3 years ago

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #963 of 985
I am looking at two used Nirvanas -- one is the mk2 and one the mk3. Other than the pre-out on the mk3, is anyone able to explain how they are different? I was surprised that there wasn't an explanation anywhere in this thread.

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #964 of 985
From what I’ve read, understand, you have identified the differences. Although I think the 3rd gen has a low/high gain switch and it’s the gen 4 that has a preamp out. Someone else maybe able to confirm that. Other than that they have the same sound and build quality.

Quite surprising there are still 2 up for sale… superb amp and given the new ones are all metal and (in my opinion) not as nice looking!

Apparently even the current 4th gen sounds the same. I have the 2nd gen and it looks the same as the 3rd. The 1st one had the wooden power supply as well.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #966 of 985
I am looking at two used Nirvanas -- one is the mk2 and one the mk3. Other than the pre-out on the mk3, is anyone able to explain how they are different? I was surprised that there wasn't an explanation anywhere in this thread.

Afaik..

The pre-out is only on the new MK4 (unless I’ve missed on earlier update, which is also the new metallic outer design (much less nice than the prior luxurious wood and leather models).

MK2 and MK3 are basically identical (and were sold at same time, not really advertised as versions, kind of draw of the luck which one you got). I have the MK2. The MK3 is just an MK2 with a gain switch. What that does is also give an option for low gain (the high gain is same as the default gain of MK2).

Now the reason for this is kind of ridiculous.. the Vu meters in the amp were calibrated in such a way that, unless u listen at dangerous volume, the only time you’d see them moving about is if you play the Susvara. Otherwise, the needles will barely move. So the low gain switch was put in to give folks the ability to see the moving 🤦🏻😁

As far as sound - the remarkable thing about this amp is that it’s the quietest tube amp I’ve ever listened to. It has a practical noise floor that is totally dark — so… you could use the most sensitive headphones, as well as IEMs(!), on the MK2 and have great volume control and it will be dead quiet. That’s remarkable for any amp, including powerful SS.

So that gain switch services a cosmetic need and not an actual sonic need, as none existed.

Hope this helps..

(if I’m wrong on pre outs someone feel free to correct me)

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #967 of 985
lol 😂 I never knew that was the reason for the gain switch on the 3rd gen. The only time I’ve seen the needle move is when something has really heavy bass and it moves a little… ie a few mm😀

The noise floor as you say is excellent. My Aegis matches it, probably a touch better but really, not much there to improve upon. I remember when I first bought the Nirvana, it was my first tube amp and I was paranoid about hissing etc after reading some horror stories from other amps in terms of noise and buzzing but the Nirvana was just like a SS amp… completely quiet!

I’m sure the pre-amp being the latest gen/mk4 is correct. Mainly cosmetic after that.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #968 of 985
lol 😂 I never knew that was the reason for the gain switch on the 3rd gen. The only time I’ve seen the needle move is when something has really heavy bass and it moves a little… ie a few mm😀

The noise floor as you say is excellent. My Aegis matches it, probably a touch better but really, not much there to improve upon. I remember when I first bought the Nirvana, it was my first tube amp and I was paranoid about hissing etc after reading some horror stories from other amps in terms of noise and buzzing but the Nirvana was just like a SS amp… completely quiet!

I’m sure the pre-amp being the latest gen/mk4 is correct. Mainly cosmetic after that.

Exactly :)

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #969 of 985
Thanks. Great information on the differences or lack of them between models.

Personally i would choose based on aesthetics… the day my beloved and king suffering headfi wife saw the mk2 nirvana when it arrived she simply said: “wow it can stay” and that’s on our shared desk. Might not sound like much but she’s never said that about headphone gear before 👍. In contrast when I had an ampsandsound amp she asked me where under the desk could I hide it. I don’t think I’d get the mk4 accepted easily either.

T

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #970 of 985

Personally i would choose based on aesthetics… the day my beloved and king suffering headfi wife saw the mk2 nirvana when it arrived she simply said: “wow it can stay” and that’s on our shared desk. Might not sound like much but she’s never said that about headphone gear before 👍. In contrast when I had an ampsandsound amp she asked me where under the desk could I hide it. I don’t think I’d get the mk4 accepted easily either.

T

Good taste 😉😁

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #971 of 985

T
I know these moments, they are precious

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #972 of 985
Good to see you are keeping the thread alive. I have HA-2 SF, also remarkable work from Auris. Unfortunately, the thread is not visited anymore on Head-Fi.
In less than a month, there is a Hi-Fi fair I am going to visit, and hopefully Auris will be there. Auris probably has reasons to change the design, but that's a shame. Their design with wood and leather caught my attention, and that's the main reason why I bought one, except for the great sonic capabilities.
Keep it going with the thread; enjoy the music with this great amp!

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #973 of 985
Good to see you are keeping the thread alive. I have HA-2 SF, also remarkable work from Auris. Unfortunately, the thread is not visited anymore on Head-Fi.
In less than a month, there is a Hi-Fi fair I am going to visit, and hopefully Auris will be there. Auris probably has reasons to change the design, but that's a shame. Their design with wood and leather caught my attention, and that's the main reason why I bought one, except for the great sonic capabilities.
Keep it going with the thread; enjoy the music with this great amp!

Cheers!
It's likely cheaper to go metal. And while everyone else has increased pricing, they haven't so it's interesting to see someone remove an aesthetic rather than increase price. Personally, I would have increased pricing and kept the aesthetic that makes them unique, but I don't run their marketing department lol.

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #974 of 985
Hello, just like to share my own experience, I have Nirvana about 3 years and decided it’s time to change my Nirvana ….., until I got new dac , Gold Note ds10 Plus with power supply, btw today on this dac running special 1/2 price .
My Nirvana never sound like now , I tried so many different dacs , including my dac Mytek Manhattan ii . Gold Note made Nirvana sound with huge soundstage…….., all instruments sounds so natural, bass tight and so control , sounds became like fat silk with a lot of air between instruments, sorry English not my first language

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #975 of 985
Hello, just like to share my own experience, I have Nirvana about 3 years and decided it’s time to change my Nirvana ….., until I got new dac , Gold Note ds10 Plus with power supply, btw today on this dac running special 1/2 price .
My Nirvana never sound like now , I tried so many different dacs , including my dac Mytek Manhattan ii . Gold Note made Nirvana sound with huge soundstage…….., all instruments sounds so natural, bass tight and so control , sounds became like fat silk with a lot of air between instruments, sorry English not my first language
I am a fan of Gold Note. I had the phono stage and it was exceptional. Enjoy my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back