Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #886 of 985
They are great tubes and I've found them to be perfectly quiet. They have great soundstage, layering with a good weight... not thin sounding. A good pair of Mullard EL34 XF2's will out perform them. They take what the Psvane EL34PH do but take it further again. Great spatial detail and clarity. Finding a good pair can be tricky to find at times.

The last pair of XF2's I bought are really good but the ones before look like they've been pushed hard. Possibly a guitar amp. The Getter Flash was brown and burned away in places and the stain on the plate is exactly where a there is a small amount of red plating. I bought them before I new any better. So, if you see stains like the ones below... or, dark brown getter flash then I'd be tempted to look elsewhere!

Oh... and if you buy the Psvane EL34PH in a Quad, just remember to check both pairs. A while back I posted I had a problem with one pair that was sorted out but it would be a good idea to check all the tubes.

Attachments

• Mullard EL34 Tube.jpg
    Mullard EL34 Tube.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #887 of 985
I just ordered 2 pairs of NOS Mullard EL34 XF2

Just got a Mullard made Amprex brand XF2 for my Aegis, will try them with the Nirvana!

I also ordered a pair of NOS Siemens 5814 triple mi

Congrats. It’s my favorite gain tube for the Nirvana!

My experience with current production EL34 tubes hasn’t been great. Some of them sound excellent but get noisy before long.

I’ve used the Sophia Electric EL34s for over a year (extensively), dead quiet and sound great. Highly recommend them

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #888 of 985
Just got a Mullard made Amprex brand XF2 for my Aegis, will try them with the Nirvana!

Congrats. It’s my favorite gain tube for the Nirvana!

I’ve used the Sophia Electric EL34s for over a year (extensively), dead quiet and sound great. Highly recommend them
I have 3 pairs of the Sophia Electric EL34 (Blue Bottle) and they've been quiet for the most part but not 100%. I think I was the first one on this thread to try them going back over 2 years ago. The fact that they haven't been 100% quiet is what prompted me to order the NOS Mullards double O getters XF1 and XF2. I have about 10 different driver tubes and I've had no problems with them.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #889 of 985
I have 3 pairs of the Sophia Electric EL34 (Blue Bottle) and they've been quiet for the most part but not 100%. I think I was the first one on this thread to try them going back over 2 years ago. The fact that they haven't been 100% quiet is what prompted me to order the NOS Mullards double O getters XF1 and XF2. I have about 10 different driver tubes and I've had no problems with them.

So strange. I’ve probably put 20-30 hours a week for a year+ and dead quiet on my chain. I guess luck plays a part 🤷‍♂️

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #890 of 985
So strange. I’ve probably put 20-30 hours a week for a year+ and dead quiet on my chain. I guess luck plays a part 🤷‍♂️
Likewise dead quiet for me… and so blue :)

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #891 of 985
Because the Sophia’s haven’t been 100% quiet, I don’t recommend them. It seems that once they get hot (30+ minutes) they quiet down most of the time.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #892 of 985
Trying to make sense of my experience so far with the Psvane EL34PH: at first, aside from better clarity, detail, soundstage, they were also a bit bright for my preferences. But after about 15 or so hours on them now, they seem to be mellowing out. Hmm-- burn-in, or just brain burn-in? (Both?) I don't know. But I do know that I am enjoying them more now. Nonetheless, just to be safe, I ordered a back-up pair of EL34UK's-- I liked that tube from the get-go, save for its noise issue. Oh, down the tube-rolling rabbit hole, lol. Turn...back...now!

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #893 of 985
It would be interesting to hear how they compare with the UK variant. I think there is an element of brain burn in… or, just getting used to the sound.

I sort of compared it to firm sport’s suspension in a car. When you first drive a car that has minimal roll, sports suspension you feel everything but after a while you stop noticing it. Feels normal and you start to sense a little bit of roll again. However, go back to normal suspension and it feels like you’re driving a bit rocking and rolling all over the place.

If you have a 2nd set of EL34s that aren’t supposed to be as good, you should notice the difference. Something just feels different.

I quite like rolling between tube’s every month or two just to get that new / different tube feeling!

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #894 of 985
So, I've now been thoroughly enjoying the tonality of Psvane EL34PH, but-- still a bit of noise. It's not terrible, I can live with it, but it's definitely not dead silent. Maybe I'm just unlucky with these, I don't know. Curiously, it gets more pronounced as I increase the impedance-- to use with my Sennheisers for instance. Still keeping them though. If it gets tiresome I'll happily fall back to my Russian Mullard's or Psvane UK.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #895 of 985
I received 2 pairs of NOS Mullard EL34 double O getters earlier this week. One pair is XF1 and the other is XF2. Both are dead silent and they sound better than the Sophia blue bottles that they replaced to my ears. I just got my Siemens 5814a triple mica tubes today but I haven't tried them yet.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #896 of 985
I received 2 pairs of NOS Mullard EL34 double O getters earlier this week. One pair is XF1 and the other is XF2. Both are dead silent and they sound better than the Sophia blue bottles that they replaced to my ears. I just got my Siemens 5814a triple mica tubes today but I haven't tried them yet.

I also got a pair of Mullard XF2 and they are fantastic. Current used in another amp (Aegis) that I'm testing rigorously, but will try to switch back to the Nirvana in the coming week or two and give more notes on how they compare in sound signature with the Sophia Electric (which, for me, have been dead quiet for the past year)

congrats on the Siemens. great one

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #897 of 985
Good to hear others are enjoying the XF2's. Amazing tubes! There's clean air between the XF2/XF1's and the other EL34's.... even the EL34-PH that I really like as well

I found they pair up really well with the Siemens 5814a Long Plate Triple Mica. Best I've heard by a long shot. I'm waiting on a 1963 Siemens 5814a LP TM so it'll be interesting how it compares to the 70's version I have.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #898 of 985
So, I've now been thoroughly enjoying the tonality of Psvane EL34PH, but-- still a bit of noise. It's not terrible, I can live with it, but it's definitely not dead silent. Maybe I'm just unlucky with these, I don't know. Curiously, it gets more pronounced as I increase the impedance-- to use with my Sennheisers for instance. Still keeping them though. If it gets tiresome I'll happily fall back to my Russian Mullard's or Psvane UK.
Can you hear it over the music and with all headphones? Could it be RF from elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back