Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #61 of 993
Hello! I am new here. Just bought this amp with Susvara and Qutest. Absolutely loving it so far.

What are the recommended tubes for some rolling? What types of tubes can I roll into this thing?

Sorry, I'm a newb. Just don't want to blow this thing and would like some advice for what people seem to like the best, possibly paired with Susvara?

How’s the sonic character with Susvara? Nirvana is one the amps I’m considering to be paired with my incoming Susvara.

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #62 of 993
How’s the sonic character with Susvara? Nirvana is one the amps I’m considering to be paired with my incoming Susvara.

It sounds incredible, even with stock tubes. I had a new Susvara with stock cable initially, and used that a few nights and was completely underwhelmed. I found a used Susvara with upgraded copper cable here and bought that. When I plugged that into the Nirvana, my jaw dropped.

I'm guessing the new set needed to burn in and open up. And the upgraded cable probably helped a bit. So if you do run this set up definitely give the Susvara time to burn in and open. The new Susvara felt very veiled and so flat with Nirvana. I was so disappointed but figured it needed time. The used one I bought is a year old, and it makes a TON of difference.

The sonic character is incredible now. Separation and detail is superb. The mids sound incredible, female vocals in particular. There is a true 3D quality to the sound that I just do not get when pairing the Nirvana with my Utopia or Verite Open. This is what I was looking for when I got into high-end audio.

I'll be returning the Utopia and selling my Verite. Curious how the AB 1266 would sound, but I'm so happy with Susvara that I'm going to keep this setup.

I'm running with a Qutest to Nirvana, and the Qutest also just sounds really clean.

I think I'll tube roll a bit. But I've achieved the sound I want now. I was looking for that next-level "wow" that I wasn't getting with Utopia or Verite. Utopia feels too smashed together with its smaller soundstage, though bass presentation is great it is almost too much and a bit fatiguing. Verite is almost to my taste, but it just doesn't have the detail and spaciousness of the Susvara that takes the sound to the next level.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #64 of 993
My review covers the tube types and offers some suggestions

So I ended up getting a pair of Mullard 6CA7 Brown Base Xf1 1958 that are closely matched.

Also got a Mullard 12AU7 long plate Square Getter England k61 B7L from 1957.

Do you think this will be a good upgrade? I heard Mullard tubes are good.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #66 of 993
Hi, Have you hear some hum when paring Utopia?

I haven't gotten the tubes yet. Running stock until they arrive, but I have no humming with stock.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #67 of 993
It sounds incredible, even with stock tubes. I had a new Susvara with stock cable initially, and used that a few nights and was completely underwhelmed. I found a used Susvara with upgraded copper cable here and bought that. When I plugged that into the Nirvana, my jaw dropped.

I'm guessing the new set needed to burn in and open up. And the upgraded cable probably helped a bit. So if you do run this set up definitely give the Susvara time to burn in and open. The new Susvara felt very veiled and so flat with Nirvana. I was so disappointed but figured it needed time. The used one I bought is a year old, and it makes a TON of difference.

The sonic character is incredible now. Separation and detail is superb. The mids sound incredible, female vocals in particular. There is a true 3D quality to the sound that I just do not get when pairing the Nirvana with my Utopia or Verite Open. This is what I was looking for when I got into high-end audio.

I'll be returning the Utopia and selling my Verite. Curious how the AB 1266 would sound, but I'm so happy with Susvara that I'm going to keep this setup.

I'm running with a Qutest to Nirvana, and the Qutest also just sounds really clean.

I think I'll tube roll a bit. But I've achieved the sound I want now. I was looking for that next-level "wow" that I wasn't getting with Utopia or Verite. Utopia feels too smashed together with its smaller soundstage, though bass presentation is great it is almost too much and a bit fatiguing. Verite is almost to my taste, but it just doesn't have the detail and spaciousness of the Susvara that takes the sound to the next level.

Thanks for sharing your impressions with the Susvara, Verite and Utopia. I also have Nirvana and Verite Open and I am just simply in love with this combo. For me, the spatial cues and the 3D effect are exceptional. I hear sounds all around my head, great separation and depth is quite deep. Highs are detailed and smooth. I'm using Gold Lion KT77 tubes.

Never heard of the Susvara but based on your impression compared to Verite it caught my curiosity. Might try it someday, I'm just not a fan of the plastic components for the asked price.

Let us know your thoughts when you receive your new tubes.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #68 of 993
Thanks for sharing your impressions with the Susvara, Verite and Utopia. I also have Nirvana and Verite Open and I am just simply in love with this combo. For me, the spatial cues and the 3D effect are exceptional. I hear sounds all around my head, great separation and depth is quite deep. Highs are detailed and smooth. I'm using Gold Lion KT77 tubes.

Never heard of the Susvara but based on your impression compared to Verite it caught my curiosity. Might try it someday, I'm just not a fan of the plastic components for the asked price.

I thought Susvara has full metal construction. May I ask which part exactly are made of plastics?

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #69 of 993
I thought Susvara has full metal construction. May I ask which part exactly are made of plastics?

My bad, I though the cups were made of plastic just by how they look, (I never saw these cans in person), so you are right, full metal construction. :thumbsup:

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #70 of 993

If you can get a used Susvara, it is completely worth the price. The build quality on the Verite and design is better, but the sound upgrade with Susvara is significant. I got a used Susvara for 3500, and I got a used Verite for 2250.

The Susvara is so detailed and musical that the difference is definitely worth the upgrade.

Verite is amazing. I love the sound. With Auris Nirvana it really sings, too.

But the Susvara has a wider soundstage and a more technical presentation that wows no matter what I throw at it.

I wanna try AB 1266, but for now I just have never heard anything better. Build quality and styling be damned.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #71 of 993
The Susvara is so detailed and musical that the difference is definitely worth the upgrade.

But the Susvara has a wider soundstage and a more technical presentation that wows no matter what I throw at it.

Nice! These are the sound characteristics I look for the most. When the pandemic lockdown is over in Montreal, I will definitely go to a store for an audition.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #72 of 993
If you can get a used Susvara, it is completely worth the price. The build quality on the Verite and design is better, but the sound upgrade with Susvara is significant. I got a used Susvara for 3500, and I got a used Verite for 2250.

I wanna try AB 1266, but for now I just have never heard anything better. Build quality and styling be damned.

Seems very encouraging indeed :relaxed: How’s the bass with Susvara? And which impedance setting selected when driving the Susvara?

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #73 of 993
How is this amp with the Empyrean, if I am not mistaken it is used on some Marketing Shots on the Meze Website.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #74 of 993
Seems very encouraging indeed :relaxed: How’s the bass with Susvara? And which impedance setting selected when driving the Susvara?

The bass with stock tubes on Nirvana paired with Susvara is lean and controlled, but nevertheless impactful. It hits. It's rolled up and slams when the song calls for it, which makes its presence feel more meaningful and powerful. I used the 32 ohm impedance setting. I've flipped between 32 and 80 and noticed little difference.

Utopia bass feels a bit flabby and overeager by comparison, like the bass is off a leash for better or worse, to the point where finer details are lost in the lows. The separation in the music just isn't there like Susvara. Sounds feels smashed together by comparison, with much less airiness.

Verite Open bass is wonderful, tight, detailed, and controlled. I feel it can't resolve quite as low as Susvara, but it slams and feels good with Nirvana. Stage is wide but not as wide as Susvara. Music again lacks that detail push provided from Susvara. The mids sound wonderful with this pairing. 😍 But Susvara takes a lead here as well.

Again, Susvara is such a technical, surgical, yet engaging listen. It doesn't show its full hand like the Verite and Utopia. It winds up and slams when the music calls for it. It rests when the music calms, ready to punch you in the face at the right moment.

Listening to Welcome to the Machine by Pink Floyd is an otherworldly experience with Susvara. Industrial rock, jazz, classical, folk, metal, pop, electronica, all reach another level in detail.

I want to compare to the AB1266, but I'm so satisfied that I'll probably just make Susvara my end game headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #75 of 993
So I'm a bit worried about these fat brown base Mullard Xf1 tubes I ordered. I see the screws at the base of the tube sockets on the Nirvana are just apart enough for a standard sized tube base. If these tubes are a bit wider at the base, will they still work if they aren't slotted all the way into the amp as a result of the screws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back