AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,131 of 2,397
I've had my Taurus for 2 months now and have determined that it straight up has a bass boost. It's not about headphones finally being driven properly. It's easily apparent when using the preamp function. I'm also pretty sure it boosts the treble as well for an overall strong V presentation. If you read between the lines reviewers seem to share this opinion. Just wanted to give people a heads up that you aren't getting a neutral amp here.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,132 of 2,397
I've had my Taurus for 2 months now and have determined that it straight up has a bass boost. It's not about headphones finally being driven properly. It's easily apparent when using the preamp function. I'm also pretty sure it boosts the treble as well for an overall strong V presentation. If you read between the lines reviewers seem to share this opinion. Just wanted to give people a heads up that you aren't getting a neutral amp here.

How did you determine this? Because I have several known neutral amps (o2, and Phonitor for instance) and they all sound more or less the same with regards to neutrality. The Taurus is the only one that can squeeze out the sub bass on my he-6 though. So in my experience it is the extra power that makes the bass more powerful .

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,133 of 2,397
Sub

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,134 of 2,397
How did you determine this?

I listened to it with different headphones, sources, preamped to different speakers using different amps, using music I've listened to for years on many different rigs, at meets, at shows. The extra bass is present in the preamp output, which completely removes the amp power as a factor.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,135 of 2,397
Hello all Auralic users.
I am a new owner of Taurus MK2. Using HD800.
Searching for a good pairing DAC.
Considering my budged I reviewed these options:
-SABRE DAC - Matrix X-Sabre Pro vs L.K.S. DA-004.
-R2R Dac - Holo Audio Cyan or Spring DAC Level 1.
Also there is RME ADI2 DAC (fair price, good reviews).

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2,136 of 2,397
Hello all Auralic users.
I am a new owner of Taurus MK2. Using HD800.
Searching for a good pairing DAC.
Considering my budged I reviewed these options:
-SABRE DAC - Matrix X-Sabre Pro vs L.K.S. DA-004.
-R2R Dac - Holo Audio Cyan or Spring DAC Level 1.
Also there is RME ADI2 DAC (fair price, good reviews).

Any recommendations or thoughts?
Congratulations, I hope you will like it as much as I do.

"Searching for a good pairing DAC."
I'm afraid that is mostly personal preference. I like the paring with Gumby but not so much with the Cutest for example. You might find it the other way around :.) I do think the RME ADI is a very interesting DAC.

Oh, are you using SE or ballanced?

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,137 of 2,397
Congratulations, I hope you will like it as much as I do.

"Searching for a good pairing DAC."
I'm afraid that is mostly personal preference. I like the paring with Gumby but not so much with the Cutest for example. You might find it the other way around :.) I do think the RME ADI is a very interesting DAC.

Oh, are you using SE or ballanced?

Thank you. I am also leaning towards RME. So many good reviews... but how about the stage presentation?
It would be ideal to have a large, holographic stage with pinpoint accuracy.

Going all ballanced. Playing PCM, ocasionally DSD.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #2,138 of 2,397
Thank you. I am also leaning towards RME. So many good reviews... but how about the stage presentation?
It would be ideal to have a large, holographic stage with pinpoint accuracy.

Going all ballanced. Playing PCM, ocasionally DSD.
Never heard the RME but the Gumby and HVDA600 gives a huge holographic stage. Switching to the Auralic it feels or it is, a bit smaller. However, after listening for awhile I feel it's more accurate. It is still big, which I like, but it's more coherent instead of a couple of soundtracks playing simultaneously. But I don't mean to burn the HDVA600 by saying this because I love that amp.

Of course all this must be in the recordings. There's no soundstage or holograpic anything on the album "Out of the blue" by Debbie Gibson or most Roxette albums for example. Switching to Yao Si Ting singing Speak softly love (Endless Love IV) is instant chills. Or most albums of Tracy Chapman, just WOW!

The good thing about the RME is that you can use crossfeed on albums like Roxette. No clue how it sounds but the crossfeed on the iDSD black was on occasion excellent. I really wouldn't mind an option like that :.) Same goes for the ability to use eq, altho it is a double edged sword for me. Kinda like tubes :.b

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,139 of 2,397
Continuation of the previous DAC i had (Altair). I've had her up and running a short while now, but have been smashed at work so I don't really have the full picture yet. Will say that it has been a good continuation thus far.

G1.jpg

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,140 of 2,397
Never heard the RME but the Gumby and HVDA600 gives a huge holographic stage. Switching to the Auralic it feels or it is, a bit smaller. However, after listening for awhile I feel it's more accurate. It is still big, which I like, but it's more coherent instead of a couple of soundtracks playing simultaneously. But I don't mean to burn the HDVA600 by saying this because I love that amp.

Of course all this must be in the recordings. There's no soundstage or holograpic anything on the album "Out of the blue" by Debbie Gibson or most Roxette albums for example. Switching to Yao Si Ting singing Speak softly love (Endless Love IV) is instant chills. Or most albums of Tracy Chapman, just WOW!

The good thing about the RME is that you can use crossfeed on albums like Roxette. No clue how it sounds but the crossfeed on the iDSD black was on occasion excellent. I really wouldn't mind an option like that :.) Same goes for the ability to use eq, altho it is a double edged sword for me. Kinda like tubes :.b

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

P.S. Yes, the tubes do their magic! Maybe my next system :)

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,141 of 2,397
Still deciding, Sabre vs R2R Dac, or just go for RME with a room for improvement (if no go). RME will fit fine in my other room system later.
However, if Auralic Vega (out of my budged) is based on Sabre, so Taurus will sound familiarly good with Matrix X-Sabre Pro or L.K.S. DA-004?
Or should I look for R2R dacs? Need someone recommendations here, PLEASE.
No audition possible for me.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,142 of 2,397
Still deciding, Sabre vs R2R Dac, or just go for RME with a room for improvement (if no go). RME will fit fine in my other room system later.
However, if Auralic Vega (out of my budged) is based on Sabre, so Taurus will sound familiarly good with Matrix X-Sabre Pro or L.K.S. DA-004?
Or should I look for R2R dacs? Need someone recommendations here, PLEASE.
No audition possible for me.

I think it would be an idea to provide som more intel for people to help you out. Like, what is your current DAC/previous DACs, and what are you looking to "change" and what qualities do you want to preserve/enhance?

I'll put down some of my experiences, though I am no expert in the field:
I ran my Taurus on mostly DS DACs, BB 1795 (Violectric), CS4398s (NAD and Primare) and Sabres (AQ, other Auralics)... auditioned MB DACs on it too, but not gonna get into that.
I've tried the AKM based RME a bit also, but not with the Tau specifically.

I personally think that generalizing sound by chip manufacturer can be a bit off, but a lot of people will probably challenge that statement.
In your situation i think that some filter options would go a long way (like the RME has), so you can tune it a bit to your specific liking.

Drawing blank on the R2R part of things.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,143 of 2,397
I listened to it with different headphones, sources, preamped to different speakers using different amps, using music I've listened to for years on many different rigs, at meets, at shows. The extra bass is present in the preamp output, which completely removes the amp power as a factor.

When using it as a preamp it's still actively powered and not passive. So it can and will add it's own sound signature.

Also: of all the reviews I've read and my own experience you're the only one to ascribe a "V" shaped profile to this amp. Wasn't your previous amp just a bit anemic in the bass? :wink:

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,144 of 2,397
I recently purchased the g1 and am very happy with it amazing sound quality just one problem
With it or me lol , I have my music stored on a ssd drive roughly about 300gb of music on there
Which is connected to my g1 , when I first plugged it in the the g1 I managed to scan and get it all
Working on lightning ds and all was working perfectly .
So the problem is and my confusion is that when I power down my gear and the g1 and then come
Back the next day all my music has disappeared from my music library on the lightning ds app.
I have tried almost everything I could think of like all the rescan stuff and don’t understand what the
Hell is going on here .
Firstly how do I power down without looosing all my music and then have to rescan everything all over again
And in the manual for the g1 it states that you copy into the internal memory of the g1 but the g1 has only 2gb of memory?
How does it store all my music which is over 300gb?
Does it play directly from the harddrive?
I am scared to turn off my g1 or closedown the lightning ds app cos I lose all my music now for the third time.
Can anyone help please.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #2,145 of 2,397
I recently purchased the g1 and am very happy with it amazing sound quality just one problem
With it or me lol , I have my music stored on a ssd drive roughly about 300gb of music on there
Which is connected to my g1 , when I first plugged it in the the g1 I managed to scan and get it all
Working on lightning ds and all was working perfectly .
So the problem is and my confusion is that when I power down my gear and the g1 and then come
Back the next day all my music has disappeared from my music library on the lightning ds app.
I have tried almost everything I could think of like all the rescan stuff and don’t understand what the
Hell is going on here .
Firstly how do I power down without looosing all my music and then have to rescan everything all over again
And in the manual for the g1 it states that you copy into the internal memory of the g1 but the g1 has only 2gb of memory?
How does it store all my music which is over 300gb?
Does it play directly from the harddrive?
I am scared to turn off my g1 or closedown the lightning ds app cos I lose all my music now for the third time.
Can anyone help please.
In which way is the SSD formated? And does your credentials allows writing to the SSD? On the Aries Le I must use credentials with WRITE rights on my NAS. I don't like that but hey, its kinda take it or leave it...

I don't think the G1 copies your music files to RAM (well, it does for playback purposes). The Aries is a different device but I can shutdown my NAS or the Aries and won't loose my libary.

Closing the lightning App should not delete your lib (libary information is stored on your tablet or phone). Uh, may be you enabled an option like "scan on startup". Then when you start the DS App before the SSD is online, it will whipe all your info (libary). Just a though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back