AURALiC owners unite!
Jun 16, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,351 of 2,398
  The Taurus Mk. 2 is incredible, the soundstage and imaging are the best I have heard from a headphone amp. I am hearing height information and instruments, vocals buried deep in the mix that I didn't know was there previously. Simply incredible, truly reminds me of Krell and Mark Levinson's glory days, music flows effortlessly from a deep black background.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I found it to be simply amazing, Best AMP i have heard to date and really works magic with my LCD3s

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,352 of 2,398
Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I found it to be simply amazing, Best AMP i have heard to date and really works magic with my LCD3s

Every headphone I have tried has been amazing, Grado PS1000, Hifiman HE560, even my Alclair CIEMs, an incredible amp!

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,353 of 2,398
Every headphone I have tried has been amazing, Grado PS1000, Hifiman HE560, even my Alclair CIEMs, an incredible amp!

Tell me that in a couple of weeks :p

I knew you would enjoy the amp. I think it's a great amp and hard to not enjoy the amp. One thing I do like is how good it looks. Some other similarly priced items do not look anywhere close to as good and although nothing to do with sound it is nice for a premium product to look..well premium.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,354 of 2,398

I knew you would enjoy the amp. I think it's a great amp and hard to not enjoy the amp. One thing I do like is how good it looks. Some other similarly priced items do not look anywhere close to as good and although nothing to do with sound it is nice for a premium product to look..well premium.

Good point, still new toy syndrome, but it is so much better than anything I have heard to date. The only other piece of SS gear as good was a Cavalli Liquid Crimson.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,356 of 2,398
Posted this on AC with no response. Vega upsamples everything in PCM to 1.5MHz...

I use an Adnaco USB-over-fibre solution and EXACT mode. I always enable software-upsampling in J. River M<edia Center 20 to 352kHz and use type 4 filter (I think this mode makes most sense for 352kHz based on the graphs and info in the Auralic manual).

I never have dropouts.

Someone suggested let the Vega do the upsample instead of J. River.  
So today I decided to test the native sample rate, and I am shocked at the difference in sound. Native 44kHz dropouts results in dropouts here and there, AND the sound is so dull - I swear it is like a different recording.

I leave the Vega powered on all the time, and rarely put it to sleep, or power it off.

I just can't believe how different the sound is. Native sample rate sounds like a bad mp3. Type 4 and software upsampling is so much more clean, crisp and the vocal jumps out. I was using a FLAC of Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman" (from The R & B Box: 30 Years of Rhythm & Blues - Volume 6 - The End of the Golden Age 1966-1972). It's actually a really good track to test this as the recording is so-so.

I'm checking my JRiver settings now because it's unreal, like an EQ is on, a HUGE veil coming down over the sound with the native rate. Matched the zone settings and not sure why there is such a big difference in fidelity. I'll have to test with more PCM material later.

thanks,
Jon

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,357 of 2,398
  Posted this on AC with no response. Vega upsamples everything in PCM to 1.5MHz...

I use an Adnaco USB-over-fibre solution and EXACT mode. I always enable software-upsampling in J. River M<edia Center 20 to 352kHz and use type 4 filter (I think this mode makes most sense for 352kHz based on the graphs and info in the Auralic manual).

I never have dropouts.

Someone suggested let the Vega do the upsample instead of J. River.  
So today I decided to test the native sample rate, and I am shocked at the difference in sound. Native 44kHz dropouts results in dropouts here and there, AND the sound is so dull - I swear it is like a different recording.

I leave the Vega powered on all the time, and rarely put it to sleep, or power it off.

I just can't believe how different the sound is. Native sample rate sounds like a bad mp3. Type 4 and software upsampling is so much more clean, crisp and the vocal jumps out. I was using a FLAC of Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman" (from The R & B Box: 30 Years of Rhythm & Blues - Volume 6 - The End of the Golden Age 1966-1972). It's actually a really good track to test this as the recording is so-so.

I'm checking my JRiver settings now because it's unreal, like an EQ is on, a HUGE veil coming down over the sound with the native rate. Matched the zone settings and not sure why there is such a big difference in fidelity. I'll have to test with more PCM material later.

thanks,
Jon

So the upscaling by Jriver is much better compared to native playback via Jriver? 

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,359 of 2,398

The Taurus really is a premium sound and looking piece of gear, Now there is the long wait while i save for the Vega/Yggy =(

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,362 of 2,398
There's a Taurus MkII for sale here, 30% off. I cant make my mind wether I should buy that or the Ragnarok... (Ragnarok isent for sale here yet, but in August)
Suggestion? Reading Tyll's latest quick thoughts on the Rag made me not so hyped on it anymore, but I dont know... 

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,363 of 2,398
There's a Taurus MkII for sale here, 30% off. I cant make my mind wether I should buy that or the Ragnarok... (Ragnarok isent for sale here yet, but in August)
Suggestion? Reading Tyll's latest quick thoughts on the Rag made me not so hyped on it anymore, but I dont know... 

They are both great amps, you cannot go wrong with either.

I have the Taurus Mk. 2 and it is fantastic with everything I throw at it, HE1000, HE560, PS1000, even my ciems!!!

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,364 of 2,398
Don't kill me if this question has been answered too many times but I'm keen to know whether there's a major sonic difference between using the RCA and using the XLR inputs. I'm asking partly because it might influence my decision on what dac to get and would my choices be limited to those with XLR outputs.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #1,365 of 2,398
Don't kill me if this question has been answered too many times but I'm keen to know whether there's a major sonic difference between using the RCA and using the XLR inputs. I'm asking partly because it might influence my decision on what dac to get and would my choices be limited to those with XLR outputs.

There is a module in Auralic Vega that works only if you're on balanced, it is supposed to be much clearer/cleaner and pretty much use all of the potential of the DAC, so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back