AURALiC owners unite!
Mar 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,156 of 2,392

If you really want to mess your trousers try the Simaudio 430HA fed from the Vega DAC. Warm, rich, detailed and very musical.

The Mk2 is a good amp. The 430HA is better (IMHO). Either produces happy listening.

Not strange considering the pricing of the two models (at least here in Norway where the Taurus MKII is priced at $2000 while the 430HA is much more expensive at $4300 (with the included DAC chip)).

I've been looking at the Taurus as a nice upgrade for my Meier Audio Corda Classic, but it's hard to pull the trigger without having a chance to audition the equipment before shelling out the big bucks. :wink:

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,157 of 2,392
Foobar, JRiver, HQPlayer and most others all have the ability to lower the digital volume within the program settings. If you do the math you will understand that a change of -3 to -8db on your digital software volume would create no sound quality loss. I know there are some purists who are afraid of this but some people thought the earth was flat also. This is the digital age time to use digital solutions. All your music is digital. Anyone using any sort of dsp must do this anyway to create headroom for processing to avoid distortion. 

Thanks for the advice , trying that and the problem lessened a bit. But since I am no tech savvy and don't know about the math. Can you help briefly explain why would the digital volume don't create loss? And moreover, isn't quality dacs already designed with headroom in it for max output? Thanks

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,158 of 2,392
Thanks for the advice , trying that and the problem lessened a bit. But since I am no tech savvy and don't know about the math. Can you help briefly explain why would the digital volume don't create loss? And moreover, isn't quality dacs already designed with headroom in it for max output? Thanks

Here is a full explanation of the use of digital volume control. http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

The long and short of it is that with modern 24-32bit dacs +/- 10db makes no difference. This is particularly true if you are using a Sabre dac with built in volume control. The article explains it all in detail.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,159 of 2,392
Here is a full explanation of the use of digital volume control. http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

The long and short of it is that with modern 24-32bit dacs +/- 10db makes no difference. This is particularly true if you are using a Sabre dac with built in volume control. The article explains it all in detail.

Ic, thanks for the info, originally I am worried for the direct sound in windows would make a problem, but it seemed not using the saber dac in the audiogd NFB1!

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,160 of 2,392
owner of a new (used, but new for me) taurus mk.2 here. listening to he-6 tonight...the hd800 come out of the closet tomorrow...and then the th900 should get its shot over the weekend.

pretty impressed with the build quality and how well it matches my apple gear...also quite impressed at how cool the amp is despite it being class A and being on for the last 10 hours. though they advise not to, methinks i'll be stacking some gear on top...with space, of course.

I find the TH900 sounds awesome with the Taurus. Post your impressions!

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,162 of 2,392
  Does anybody know how to do the firmware upgrade on vega?

I contacted Auralic a few weeks ago about this since I have an older firmware and a few minor issues. They said that no firmware upgrade is available, but one is in the works. I don't quite understand that since we know there are different firmware versions, but that is what they told me. I pointed them to this topic and suggested an Auralic representative could be very helpful here, but no sign of them so far. I had the impression that the person who replied might not speak English very well, so that might be the reason the reply was so vague.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,163 of 2,392
Went to my local HiFi store and ordered the AURALiC Taurus MKii. They said it will take 4 business days for it to get to the store. In the mean time they let me borrow a loaner model till mine arrives. It sounds really good driving my HE560's. I would really like to get the Verga DAC next(that will be a while).Anyone else driving the HE560's with it??

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #1,164 of 2,392
  Went to my local HiFi store and ordered the AURALiC Taurus MKii. They said it will take 4 business days for it to get to the store. In the mean time they let me borrow a loaner model till mine arrives. It sounds really good driving my HE560's. I would really like to get the Verga DAC next(that will be a while).Anyone else driving the HE560's with it??

Hi brianc0428,

First, congratulations on purchasing the mkII.  I've had mine for more than a month now and I just love it.  I wish I could share with you my impressions w/the HE560 but I can tell you that w/the HD800 the sound is spectacular.  What I love the most about this amp is the not only the vastness of the soundstage but it's depth. It's hard to explain but there's a sense of depth that did not exist with the GS-1 (although it was a great HP amp) which I owned prior to the mkII.  In his review on Innerfidelity for the mkII John Grandberg states the following : 

"This thing is the real deal. In fact, I can think of several amps costing double (or more!) which don't perform nearly as well. If you want an endgame-level headphone amp which offers extremely accurate, resolving sound while maintaining a warm and inviting tone, look no further."

Presently I can't see myself spending a couple of thousand dollars more to get maybe a 1-2%, perceived better sound than this amp provides.  

Enjoy your new amp and give it a chance if, like me, you're not sold on it in the first few weeks.  I'm glad I was patient with it because with some recordings it's pure Nirvana. 
k701smile.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,165 of 2,392

I was also considering the Taurus for my 560. Are you driving them single ended or balanced. Thanks. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,167 of 2,392
Forum / thread member JTWrace provided me a full demo of his Aries/Vega/Taurus on my Fostex TH900's at a local G2G yesterday, and I was extremely impressed. I have been vacillating for 2 years on what set up I'm looking for, and I believe I have settled it!

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,170 of 2,392
Ok thanks.
I was intially worried about the 'lack of power' as the balanced outputs of 4.5W peak at 120 ohms, higher than the 560's rated impedence.

Also it has been said several times that the power output on this is actually higher than advertised it seems like taurus has enough juice to power the he-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back