AURALiC owners unite!
Oct 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #991 of 2,392
  The HE 6 will scale well with ample amplification!!  
But speakers systems will always bring a different feeling to the music and nice speaker set you have there.

Audio is such an addicting hobby but comes with a price!

I'm going to try feeding the HE6 from the speaker taps of the 845 SET amp when I get it in about 2 weeks time. It's only 20W, but will be interesting to try. I have the HiFiMan speaker tap box - my understanding is that this is a necessity for tube amps, not so much for SS.

The Brodmanns are very musical and wonderful for orchestral or vocal type music. Jazz, classical, soft rock - all great. Not so great for headbanging metal or that sort of thing (not my thing). They also pair wonderfully well with a SET amp. Right now my WA5 is driving them splendidly on 8W. It's amazing what the WA5 can do when hooked up to speakers with 90dB+ sensitivity.

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #992 of 2,392
My Vega will arrive at Wednesday. I'm really excited how the sound will change when I replace my schiit gungnir.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #994 of 2,392
  My Vega will arrive at Wednesday. I'm really excited how the sound will change when I replace my schiit gungnir.

Yea I'm looking forward to your impressions too as I'm considering buying a Gungnir with my Taurus.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #995 of 2,392

You're waiting for a world of change :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #997 of 2,392

I'm going to try feeding the HE6 from the speaker taps of the 845 SET amp when I get it in about 2 weeks time. It's only 20W, but will be interesting to try. I have the HiFiMan speaker tap box - my understanding is that this is a necessity for tube amps, not so much for SS.

The Brodmanns are very musical and wonderful for orchestral or vocal type music. Jazz, classical, soft rock - all great. Not so great for headbanging metal or that sort of thing (not my thing). They also pair wonderfully well with a SET amp. Right now my WA5 is driving them splendidly on 8W. It's amazing what the WA5 can do when hooked up to speakers with 90dB+ sensitivity.

I would think that the HE 6 would sound nice from a speaker amp. Do report on the sound quality when you paired both of them together! 

8W!!!? Your speakers are quite efficient even though it is a floorstander! But if you have a higher power amp to drive it, you would have better bass too. 
My Pulsar's are being fed with my modified MF kW 550 that pumps out 1000w/pc.... insane right. But it does makes a difference compared to the stock amp.

Can you kindly tell me how does the Hifman speaker tap box works!? Appreciate it! 

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #998 of 2,392
Personally, if I wanted a set of HE-6's or electrostatics I'd go buy a modest integrated amp to drive them.  Unlike HP amps, integrated amps like McIntoshes and Krells can be found in abundance used, for a fraction of new prices.  A ten year old one in fine condition will work just as well as one made yesterday, unless it was run 24x7 in a hotel lobby or something.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #999 of 2,392
  Personally, if I wanted a set of HE-6's or electrostatics I'd go buy a modest integrated amp to drive them.  Unlike HP amps, integrated amps like McIntoshes and Krells can be found in abundance used, for a fraction of new prices.  A ten year old one in fine condition will work just as well as one made yesterday, unless it was run 24x7 in a hotel lobby or something.

I would think that will be a fine choice as you will pay less for an integrated amp that can rival HP amps that cost more. But it depends on the power output too

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,000 of 2,392
Originally Posted by Xdaggersoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...8W!!!? Your speakers are quite efficient even though it is a floorstander! But if you have a higher power amp to drive it, you would have better bass too. 
My Pulsar's are being fed with my modified MF kW 550 that pumps out 1000w/pc.... insane right. But it does makes a difference compared to the stock amp.

Can you kindly tell me how does the Hifman speaker tap box works!? Appreciate it! 

Floorstanders with 90+dB sensitivity can be driven to adequate levels with 8W. Right now I driving my 91dB Brodmann F2s with my 8W WA5, waiting for my 20W TRX-845SE to arrive. The sound is very good and it does not feel bass light at all. Before the Brodmanns I was driving a pair of Monitor Audio BR5s - 90dB floorstanders - also with great success with 8W.

My average listening level would around 80dB (not loud at all). That leaves plenty of headroom with 8W, and even more with 20W.

If you are into SET amps (as I am) then you have to make do with limited wattage and go for efficient speakers with 90+dB sensitivity. A 300B SET amp is limited to around 8 to 10W (some designs wring 12W out of a 300B). Bigger power tubes like the 845 or 212 can get to 20 or 30 or 40W. That is plenty for efficient speakers used at moderate volumes.

HiFiMan HE6 adapter box has speaker taps on one end and a headphone XLR plug on the other end. Wire the amp speaker taps to the adapter box and you are there.

link

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,001 of 2,392
Just heard about new Audeze 1200 ohms headphone. I wonder will my Taurus MK2 able to drive it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,002 of 2,392
  Just heard about new Audeze 1200 ohms headphone. I wonder will my Taurus MK2 able to drive it. 
confused_face_2.gif

It should have no difficulty as Audezes are purely resistive.  The Audezes do need a bit of authority (overdriving) to sound lively, and the Taurus does that just perfectly IMO.  This amp is a treat with the LCD-3f and I don't think just changing the resistance will affect that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back