AURALiC owners unite!
May 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #646 of 2,392
Is everyone using their VEGA's in "Exact" clock mode? I am trying to and it certainly sounds better in this setting.  My issue is that with my mac book pro I would get occasional dropouts in sound and frequent static like sounds in exact mode.  I don't get them at all in Auto clock mode but the music doesn't sound as good in that mode.  I researched and and learned that jitter may be the issue and that the VEGA is having a hard time locking in while in exact mode.  So I switched from the MBP to an Antipodes DS server http://www.antipodesaudio.com  I still get drop outs especially for 24/192 and DSD files.  The only format that gets no dropouts in exact mode is when i use the Spotify plug-in through the antipodes.  

I have tried various USB cables including AQ Diamond and nothing helps.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #647 of 2,392
The static is EMI. Make sure your cables are not crossed. I had it with my MacMini but resolved it with some cable management.
You will get some dropout in exact mode when comes out of sleep. It usually resolves in 10-15 minutes as the unit warms up. It is not much of a big deal for me so I just leave it in exact mode. It definitely sounds better.

May 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #648 of 2,392
It could be EMI, but it can also be a poor USB port or cable, or using a hub instead of a DAC-USB port direct connection.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #649 of 2,392
Hi thanks for the replies.  Which cables are you referring to when you say the cables may be crossed?  As for the USB cable quality, I am using AudioQuest Diamond cable and i have also tried a few others and the results are consistent. 

As far as cables being crossed, are you referring the the USB cable being crossed with other cables in the system?  I am pretty sure the dropouts and the EMI sounds are being generated buy the DAC and the only cable upstream from the Vega DAC is the USB cable connecting the Antipodes DS reference Music server with the VEGA DAC.  From the VEGA DAC, i have all AudioQuest Niagra Balanced cables.  Anything I need to be concerned with related to those balanced cables being "crossed"?

Thanks

May 17, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #650 of 2,392
I have been playing with the filters.  I use Audirvana a lot with this DAC because it up samples really nicely.  I find it works really well with Filter 4.  Pure Music 1.98 didn't work with DSD for me.  Haven't tried 2.0 yet.  Has anyone?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #651 of 2,392
Folks, what good amp do you recommend matching my LCD-3 alongside with the Vega in the chain? like proper best?

And what do you think, is Auralic gonna work on something higher end than Taurus or continue improving it?

May 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #652 of 2,392
The pairing with the Cavalli Liquid Glass is pretty amazing, I bet the Cobalt would be as well.

May 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #653 of 2,392
The pairing with the Cavalli Liquid Glass is pretty amazing, I bet the Cobalt would be as well.

Cobalt?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

But those are tube amps...

May 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #656 of 2,392
Cobalt?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

But those are tube amps...

Exactly . You will not believe how this pairs with tubes. The soundstage of the Vega with my Cavalli is exceptional. I've tried a few solid state pairings and enjoyed them but this is worth hearing.

May 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #657 of 2,392
Exactly . You will not believe how this pairs with tubes. The soundstage of the Vega with my Cavalli is exceptional. I've tried a few solid state pairings and enjoyed them but this is worth hearing.

Yup, I have to agree. The Vega >Cavalli combination sounded wonderful at Axponia in Chicago last month. After llistening to this system with the Beatles 24/44.1 hi res files, I was compelled to purchase a pair of Alpha Dogs on the spot. Now if I can just get the Beatles USB to to retain the its 24 bit rate after convertion to AIFF with Media Human.

May 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #659 of 2,392
Yup, I have to agree. The Vega >Cavalli combination sounded wonderful at Axponia in Chicago last month. After llistening to this system with the Beatles 24/44.1 hi res files, I was compelled to purchase a pair of Alpha Dogs on the spot. Now if I can just get the Beatles USB to to retain the its 24 bit rate after convertion to AIFF with Media Human.

Try converting to Alac?

May 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #660 of 2,392
Try converting to Alac?

I have thousands of rips to AIFF so Im reluctant to change. I think I did the converstion wrong, from the Media Human converter drop down menu I selected 44. 1. as it was the closestt fit. With the Mac version there is no bit rate selection or settings, just sampling. I think I should have chosen "original" from the selection in the drop down menu instead of 44,1000, and perhaps that would have retained the 24 bit rate. Want do you think? Before I can retry it, I have clean out the Media Human converted folder which is jammed up with my first Beatles bad converion files and no matter how or what I select I cant get rid them. I think its a nice programs your right, its simple. I appreciate your recommendation. I just have these two huddles to get past. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back