AURALiC owners unite!
Apr 30, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #571 of 2,398
Will also be interesting to get an impressions on the new HiFIMan HE-560 paired with Taurus, should be a nice step up in details and speed compared to HE-500 and more neutral.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #572 of 2,398
I have started a new thread about the AURALiC ARIES.  See it here.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #573 of 2,398
What is the best cost anyone has paid for this DAC and Amp? And where?

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #574 of 2,398
  :)

I believe the review at innerfidelity is made by John (project86).

I stand corrected, but I'm assuming Tyll has heard the Taurus if he is prepared to put it on his Wall of Fame  :wink:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers

It's an old standby on many forums that the absolute worst way to build a system is to dash out and buy a bunch of 'Recommended Components' from TAS or Stereophile, slap them together, sit back and expect magic BUT the InnerFidelity opinion of the Taurus isn't a lone voice in the wilderness. From memory, I think the Violectric V200 may have been the darling of those looking for an amp to suit both the ortho cans and the HD800, but I'm sure someone will correct me on that too  :wink:

OT alert:
John, FWIW, if you get a chance to hear the HD800 with the ADL X1 I'd be interested in your thoughts. I know your focus is on desktop gear, but this was one totally out of left field for me - not sure what they're smoking at ADL, but they've put some time into this particular box of tricks.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #575 of 2,398
Yeah, I reviewed the Taurus and recommended it for the Wall of Fame. Tyll also has one and concurred, so up it went. Brilliant amp for most every headphone out there (with very few exceptions). We are building the Wall slowly, and hope to eventually have something for each category in various price points - something like a cheapish option, a midrange option, and a crazy-expensive option. But we gotta be selective and not let it turn into a typical "Best of" list. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #576 of 2,398
Hope you can review Audio-gd amps/dac John.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #577 of 2,398
Hope you can review Audio-gd amps/dac John.

I did a write up on the Reference 7 back when that was the top model. I really enjoyed it. Haven't had the time to try anything newer of theirs, but I'll certainly do so at some point in the future. My only issue is how fast things change - if I borrow a current top of the line model, and need a few months to get familiar with it, then maybe another month to write things up.... by then it might be superseded by a newer version. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #578 of 2,398
I did a write up on the Reference 7 back when that was the top model. I really enjoyed it. Haven't had the time to try anything newer of theirs, but I'll certainly do so at some point in the future. My only issue is how fast things change - if I borrow a current top of the line model, and need a few months to get familiar with it, then maybe another month to write things up.... by then it might be superseded by a newer version. 
And this is why I'll never buy an audio-gd product. It's just too fast-moving and confusing.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #579 of 2,398
Agree with this point, however even there is a new version released, I'm sure the current unit will not stop working. :) I am still interested to read a review of Audio-gd from you John. Master 9, NFB-28 vs Yulong DA8, etc. I hope that day will come soon. :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #580 of 2,398
  Agree with this point, however even there is a new version released, I'm sure the current unit will not stop working. :)

The general point of these reviews is to help inform and influence buying decisions. Not super helpful to have recommendations on items that are no longer being sold.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #581 of 2,398
  The general point of these reviews is to help inform and influence buying decisions. Not super helpful to have recommendations on items that are no longer being sold.

That's a good point - not that most reviewers necessarily do what they do to drive sales, but I'd like the reader to be able to buy something if it sounds like it might be a good fit. Kind of frustrating to finish the review with something like "Well, everything I just said may or may not apply to the newer model, you'll have to try it for yourself". 

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #582 of 2,398
Very good point. Sorry for derailing the thread. Now back to Auralic. :)

May 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #583 of 2,398
Does anyone know if Auralic are having problems keeping up with demand for MkII ? My dealer has the preamp, and the Vega, but that's it : I put down a deposit on my Taurus but I'm not holding my breath. 

May 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #585 of 2,398
  Does anyone know if Auralic are having problems keeping up with demand for MkII ? My dealer has the preamp, and the Vega, but that's it : I put down a deposit on my Taurus but I'm not holding my breath. 

No, those products are available within a couple of weeks at this point.  I do know that they're getting ready to be stocking them in the USA so it will get better.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back