AURALiC owners unite!
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #557 of 2,398
It´s aimed at people who love music,  in normal 16/44 quality and up 
biggrin.gif
, but the Vega Dac should be highly revealing, so if you listen to poorly recorded music like some metal music + analytical cans, your ears could bleed pretty fast. I read two reviews where it´s said Vega digs out every last detail of the record. I will use Vega and Taurus with HiFiman He-500 + smooth cables, so I don´t worry about it.        

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #560 of 2,398
i read somewhere that the taurus was voiced with the audeze headphones (don't know which models in particular). because the audeze headphones are very different than the hd800, i'm wondering how you hd800 owners find the taurus/hd800 match. too bright? or is it really just a matter of making sure that one has the proper DAC? either the taurus or the ragnarok will be my next amp, but curious to see how the hd800 does with both...

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #561 of 2,398
The HD800 / Taurus / Vega combo was one of the first I've tried.  I've had several customers come in to hear on the Senn's and LCD 'X'.  You're right about using the AUDEZE in the design phase.  Xuanqian mentioned that when I told him of my headphone trial.  My take was the AUDEZE was only slightly more revealing and open.  One of the tracks I use is Fire and Rain, when JT's drummer used a snare on a cymbal at the 2 minute mark.  It was just a bit more obvious through the 'X'.  However, I've had 2 customers in the last week that preferred the HD800's.

There is not an issue of harshness, or sibilance at all.  The AURALiC product used Ruppert Neve's concept of analog sound via digital sound boards and circuitry.

Hope this helps.  Jim

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #562 of 2,398
Not bright at all. I demo'd the X abd 800's on my Vega/Taurus combo and bought the HD800's. They were far more open sounding and not bright at all. The X certainly had a bit more texture but ultimately the HD800 won for me

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #563 of 2,398
  The HD800 / Taurus / Vega combo was one of the first I've tried.  I've had several customers come in to hear on the Senn's and LCD 'X'.  You're right about using the AUDEZE in the design phase.  Xuanqian mentioned that when I told him of my headphone trial.  My take was the AUDEZE was only slightly more revealing and open.  One of the tracks I use is Fire and Rain, when JT's drummer used a snare on a cymbal at the 2 minute mark.  It was just a bit more obvious through the 'X'.  However, I've had 2 customers in the last week that preferred the HD800's.

There is not an issue of harshness, or sibilance at all.  The AURALiC product used Ruppert Neve's concept of analog sound via digital sound boards and circuitry.

Hope this helps.  Jim

Not bright at all. I demo'd the X abd 800's on my Vega/Taurus combo and bought the HD800's. They were far more open sounding and not bright at all. The X certainly had a bit more texture but ultimately the HD800 won for me

nice to know...thanks, guys. making me want to pull the trigger on the taurus, but i think i'll wait to see how the ragnarok fares since it's supposed to start shipping next month. and jude has a review unit, i believe. we'll see...

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #564 of 2,398
The Vega is a bridge-too-far for me : I'll be plugging my Chord Hugo into the Taurus via RCA (ok, its not balanced XLR but I'll get over it) when my dealer gets his shipment. My main aim is to get the best from my new cans, particularly the HD800, and Tyll's review certainly gives me hope that I'm on the right track. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #565 of 2,398
One correction- only the balanced (XLR) outputs of the Vega us the Neve inspired Orfeo modules.

I've found my Taurus MKII and my HD800's neutral with a lean towards bright. Of course, that's how I've felt about the HD800's from the start, so I would say that the Taurus doesn't really color their natural presentation.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #566 of 2,398
The Vega is a bridge-too-far for me : I'll be plugging my Chord Hugo into the Taurus via RCA (ok, its not balanced XLR but I'll get over it) when my dealer gets his shipment. My main aim is to get the best from my new cans, particularly the HD800, and Tyll's review certainly gives me hope that I'm on the right track. 

Tyll's review of which?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #567 of 2,398
:)

I believe the review at innerfidelity is made by John (project86).

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #568 of 2,398
I´m also curious to hear HD800 on Taurus, as my first impression of HD800 was a pretty bright sound, but a change of setup could change this impression for the better because of synergy, resolution, dynamic and drive. 

Did Tyll make a secret review on Taurus, hmmm, must investigate on the Darknet
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #569 of 2,398
I´m also curious to hear HD800 on Taurus, as my first impression of HD800 was a pretty bright sound, but a change of setup could change this impression for the better because of synergy, resolution, dynamic and drive. 

Did Tyll make a secret review on Taurus, hmmm, must investigate on the Darknet:D  

FWIW I have the T1 which I normally find less bright than the HD800 - and it is too bright for me on the Taurus. Same thing with the bright and bassy Ultrasone Pro 2900. I find Taurus not being an amp that tames brightness. But HD800 is a strange beast with sometimes surprising synergies, so....

Tyll don't do amp reviews, presumably because he used to be an insider strongly involved in the making the Headroom amps - as I have understood it, but John will correct me if I am wrong :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #570 of 2,398
He wrote a small addendum on the Taurus review in which he praised it very much and placed it on the Wall of Fame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back