AURALiC owners unite!
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #527 of 2,398
Anyone happen to have Alpha Dogs and the Taurus MkII?  That's the setup I'm thinking about to go along with my AURALiC Vega.  

Has anyone been able to find a quote of less than $3000 for the Vega?

If so, would you please contact me via PM and point me in the right direction?

Thank you.
There was one in the FS forum for less than that. Not sure about brand new, though.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #528 of 2,398
This Thread has really gone to Las Vegas
wink_face.gif
, but it´s fine with me as I maybe will get a Vega Dac too, along with the Taurus 2 that will hit my doorstep next week. So I´m all for a combo Thread. Have any of you with both machines any notes on how the synergy is between Vega and Taurus compared to other combinations of the Dac /amps with one of them  ? 

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #529 of 2,398
  This Thread has really gone to Las Vegas
wink_face.gif
, but it´s fine with me as I maybe will get a Vega Dac too, along with the Taurus 2 that will hit my doorstep next week. So I´m all for a combo Thread. Have any of you with both machines any notes on how the synergy is between Vega and Taurus compared to other combinations of the Dac /amps with one of them  ? 

What do you mean?  I'm sorry if I posted improperly in this thread.  

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #530 of 2,398
This Thread has really gone to Las Vegas:wink_face: , but it´s fine with me as I maybe will get a Vega Dac too, along with the Taurus 2 that will hit my doorstep next week. So I´m all for a combo Thread. Have any of you with both machines any notes on how the synergy is between Vega and Taurus compared to other combinations of the Dac /amps with one of them  ? 

I love my Taurus and Vega. I may order a DNA Stratus but that is sheer curiosity not a function of anything lacking in sound

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #531 of 2,398
Sorry guys, my mistake. Have been reading a thread about Taurus too. Got confused, great with a thread with all Auralic products and how they play together.     
A DNA Stratus- interesting, do you feel kind of blue ?
beyersmile.png

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #532 of 2,398
So with this DNA Stratus, it's Single Ended Input into Balanced  Output, doesn't sound right, but whatever.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #533 of 2,398
Can anyone compare the Vega dac to the PS Audio PWD2? Since I'm enjoying the Taurus MK2 so much it's got me wondering about the Vega. My ears have not been blocked for years so experience shows me that the PWD2 is pretty good but still I'm curious to know if anyone has done the comparison. The Vega is very popular on Audiogon but so is the PWD2.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #534 of 2,398
  Can anyone compare the Vega dac to the PS Audio PWD2? Since I'm enjoying the Taurus MK2 so much it's got me wondering about the Vega. My ears have not been blocked for years so experience shows me that the PWD2 is pretty good but still I'm curious to know if anyone has done the comparison. The Vega is very popular on Audiogon but so is the PWD2.

Does it really matter if PWD2 or Vega is better?

Lets just see, you've already got the PWD2 which is considered as a pretty fine DAC in here.
Meanwhile, we've got the Auralic Vega which has a smaller form, supports DSD/DXD, does  1.5MHz upsampling to your PCM music, has a femtoclock which works  up to 82 femtoseconds of precision, and gets only (unless there's a review I don't know about) good reviews and is generally measured as such.

But I bet  that didn't answer your question, so lets wait and see if there's anyone who has had experience with both, but don't forget that there might be people who prefer one type of sound and then there's others who prefer another  type of sound.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #535 of 2,398
Here are some measurements that my firend did.

He says:
The balanced has a dedicated analog stage that is different than the single ended. The Zout on the single ended output is supposed to be 50 Ohms while the balanced version is specified at 4.7 Ohms. I have not listened to the SE outputs but given the different output sections and their specs, it's quite probable they will sound different. They do measure a bit differently, the balanced having a cleaner FFT plot. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #536 of 2,398
I was only asking out of curiosity. I ask as the Taurus is very nice. I like my PWD Mk2 and could not afford the Vega at this point. I was only curious. The PWD MK 2 is half the cost of the Vega these days due to PS Audio's new Directstream dac so even should the Vega be better it is still much more expensive than the PWD MK 2 which in itself is quite nice.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #537 of 2,398
  I was only asking out of curiosity. I ask as the Taurus is very nice. I like my PWD Mk2 and could not afford the Vega at this point. I was only curious. The PWD MK 2 is half the cost of the Vega these days due to PS Audio's new Directstream dac so even should the Vega be better it is still much more expensive than the PWD MK 2 which in itself is quite nice.

If it helps, the Auralic Vega incinerates/destroys/eliminates/etc... the Antelope Zodiac Platinum, which is a DAC made by a company that makes studio stuff, and that DAC costs $5.5k

But that is in my very humble (and honest) opinion :wink:

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #538 of 2,398
My Taurus now with 150 or so hours on it is absolutely stunning. The PS Audio stuff is nice but I already new that from my previous headphone amp and my speaker gear but the Taurus with my LCD-3's is pretty nice. My previous headphone amp was no slouch but the Taurus is nicer.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #539 of 2,398
I don't have a Taurus so I can't speak from personal experience, but the Taurus/Vega combo offers wonderful synergy, plus they look great together(if that matters to you). While you're saving money for your next DAC purchase keep in mind that you can upgrade your PWDMKII to a DirectStream for 2995 USD(plus an hour of your own labor), which is several hundred less than the price of the Vega. As much as I love the Vega(and, yes, I own a Vega and used to own a PWDMKII), I would wait for at least the first reviews of the DirectStream to surface before making a purchase decision. The Vega and the DirectStream both give you hi res PCM and DSD, however, and I anticipate that whatever choice you make, you can't go wrong.

BTW, the Vega is a major upgrade to the PWDMKII(which is still a great sounding DAC).

Esau

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #540 of 2,398
I've probably mentioned this before, but I'm not really sold on PS Audio or the new DirectStream marketing project DAC. Maybe I end up being wrong - I'll admit it if that ends up being the case. Still, in light of recent patterns, I would absolutely NOT pay full price for any PS Audio product. Even when the PWD and PWT were still newish and popular, it was easy to find them for 30-50% off list price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back