AURALiC owners unite!
Apr 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #451 of 2,392
  I have had my Taurus running for a day now and I am convinced it sounds ten times better than it did out of the box...and I thought it sounded brilliant then!
I am listening to Daft Punks 'Da Funk' through my LCD-X's and I have never...I repeat never... had a headphone experience like it. This amp just powers the music forward with incredible force and energy.
My oh my ,what Bass is on display here...tight as a drum too.
I suddenly realised I had a huge grin on my face while I was listening.
Da Funk is a superb choice to play to display the amp...and the X's.... power and synergy together.
I need to go to bed...but I need to listen to some more!!

Yes, I commented earlier that the change even after 24 hours of burn in was the most change I have ever experienced from any component. The thing is, I am now over 100 hours into this and it has only recently reached a plateau. You can expect even more improvement. This has completely changed my opinion of burn in on solid state components. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #452 of 2,392

A happy new home. Bryston was left in shot for comparison. I actually really loved the Bryston with my Audeze phones, but not as much with some of my other phones. If you are running Audeze, I don't think you can do much better for the money then the Bryston.

As for the Taurus, it looks great and is a better form factor for my setup. On to burn in!!!

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #453 of 2,392
  Yes, I commented earlier that the change even after 24 hours of burn in was the most change I have ever experienced from any component. The thing is, I am now over 100 hours into this and it has only recently reached a plateau. You can expect even more improvement. This has completely changed my opinion of burn in on solid state components. 

I think all this burn in stuff is very subjective and a lot of nay sayers will insist that what you are hearing is your ears getting used to a 'new' sound.....or expectation bias, where our ears are sub consciously telling us we are hearing something better than we were before.
I think the subject is very polarising with one camp swearing by it whereas the other camp totally poo pooing the notion.
When a difference is so obvious though, as I heard last night it is a revelation and almost a eureka moment.
To elaborate a little I had the Taurus on all day running my LCD-X's quietly in the background but not critically listening.
I watched the Masters golf to its first round conclusion then thought I will just have a quick listen before I go to bed. I am a huge fan of Daft Punk......Gallic genius in my opinion. Out of all their music my favourite track is Da Funk......so I know the track inside out.
What I heard last night from the Taurus and my LCD-X's was mind blowing. The sound can only be described as incendiary but totally controlled. The X's have the ability to go really loud without break up or distortion so are a perfect partner for the Taurus. I know I never heard my old HD800's through the Taurus but one of the reasons I sold them was because I found them uninspiring and a bit uninvolving at times. The X's have cured that ten fold!
The bottom line is, the Taurus isn't exactly cheap so you would expect stellar performance. But all too often in the world of hi end hifi the product proves to be less than the sum of its parts and you ultimately end up disappointed.....a bit like I was with he HD800's.
Well even after just two days use I can announce that the Taurus absolutely delivers....in spades. I think it will prove to be the best all round amp available at the moment because it sounds fantastic over a variety of musical genres. I have just been listening to The Doug Macleod album recommended above and it sounds awesome. Before that I was listening to Katie Melua. Her voice bought me out in Goosebumps. This is surely what you should feel when you listen to music....a personal connection, call it what you want.....but whatever it is the Taurus has it.
People describe their end game system. This combination of Taurus amp ,Benchmark DAC2 HGC Dac and Audeze LCD-X headphones might just be mine! 

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #454 of 2,392
Long time stalker of this thread and online reviews of Taurus/Vega.
I bought Audeze LCD-3 several months ago and since then (on and off) have been trying to decide what amp/dac to get. Went through several options and still couldn't decide.

Last week my luck changed and I got an unexpected cash injection from out of nowhere. And a few days later, jjust by chance, I saw a ex-dem (2 week old) Vega model advertised on a dealer's website, with £500 off the retail price. Thought I'd never catch it at this price again so bit the bullet and bought it. It should arrive sometime next week :)

The dealer also offered me the Taurus mkII at a substantial discount if I bought it at the same time. Unfortunately at this time I just couldn't do that so had to decline his offer :'(
I will however order cheap headphone amp to keep me going for a few months, and then get the Taurus. I was thinking, maybe a Schiit Vali?

Anyway, I'm very excited at the moment and REALLY REALLY looking forward to getting my Vega.

One question: can anyone recommend a USB cable to use with the Vega and a MacBook Pro? I know this is a touchy subject, but thought I'd see what everyone else is using.

cheers

Shaka

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #455 of 2,392

One question: can anyone recommend a USB cable to use with the Vega and a MacBook Pro? I know this is a touchy subject, but thought I'd see what everyone else is using.

cheers

Shaka

You are right many will disagree but for my money Belkin Gold is as good as anything you can buy. Now someone is sure to jump in and suggest a $500 usb cable with magic properties.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #456 of 2,392
Smart choice getting the Vega. I have been through a lot of DAC over the years and this one just nails it.

As for USB cable, the Belkin Gold is great at it's price point, and is the cable I started with. I now use a WyWires cable and it's fantastic. One issue that doesn't always come up-make sure whatever cable you use is USB 2.0 or higher. If you try to run an older cable with a newer DAC you will have problems.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #457 of 2,392

cheers

Shaka

depends on your price point...Wireworld makes some very good ones for not a ton of money. Guys like Paul Peng make substantially better ones at considerably higher prices.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #458 of 2,392
  You are right many will disagree but for my money Belkin Gold is as good as anything you can buy. Now someone is sure to jump in and suggest a $500 usb cable with magic properties.

The only way to improve on something like this is to put fairy dust inside. 
And this is not even Gold edition.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673171/need-usb-cable-does-usb-cable-make-a-differences/90#post_9891793

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #459 of 2,392
Good morning Taurus owners!
As I now have my balanced cables connecting my Taurus to my Benchmark Dac, just wondering if there are any of you driving Audeze in particular LCD-X's headphones and if so which output do you feel gives the best sonic advantage or sound quality.
I have now tried both and there is a huge amount of gain from the balanced headphone output which results in an increase in volume, but I am not too sure if the sound is quite as smooth as from the single ended output. Bare in mind the X's are quite a bit more sensitive at 22ohms than the LCD-3's and 2's at 50ohms even those this figure is purely resistive.
So which output do you folks use and why?...and another quick question....would you say the quality of the XLR cables used to connect the dac to the amp matters. ie ...is it worth spending a fair bit on better cables or is this just pie in the sky. I am currently using Van Damme star quad balanced cable which cost about £25 ($42) for a pair.
Thanks in advance for any answers....  

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #460 of 2,392
I preferred the X through the STD (RCA) setting. I found it a bit more organic sounding. The XLR cable can be run through either setting on the Taurus so if buying a cable it would make the most sense to buy an XLR cable so that you can run either setting. I did find the balanced setting to be a bit more refined with detail and a bit tighter bass

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #461 of 2,392
I preferred the X through the STD (RCA) setting. I found it a bit more organic sounding. The XLR cable can be run through either setting on the Taurus so if buying a cable it would make the most sense to buy an XLR cable so that you can run either setting. I did find the balanced setting to be a bit more refined with detail and a bit tighter bass

Ok...that's make sense and suggests your ears heard the same as me....that the STD setting was a bit better sounding than the balanced...with the X at least.
Have you any thoughts on my other question regarding the quality/cost of the XLR interconnect cables used. Does it really matter or would there be some real sonic benefit in buying a pair of more expensive XLR cables?  

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #463 of 2,392
Opening a can of worms there..but yes, my belief is that cables make a difference

I'll wait and see what, if any, cable comes with the Vega and initially use that.
Later I'll try to borrow or loan a few branded cables from some dealers and if I hear a difference I'll buy one that is affordable for me.

Like with anything else I believe cables can affect the sound quality, whether for better or for worse. So I'll test a few out for myself.

Thanks

Shaka

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #464 of 2,392
Anybody got any strong views deduced from real world situations about which type of cable is best suited for XLR interconnect? Silver or Copper.
And by the same token......for all  Audeze headphone owners, particularly LCDX who drive them with the Taurus......any noticeable improvement in swapping out the stock Copper Audeze cables that ship with the headphones for a silver cable?
As always thanks in advance for taking the time to answer. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #465 of 2,392
For me cables are extremely system dependent. I find the X to sound very good however not quite as airy on the top end and as tight on the low end. So for me, I prefer a silver cable. However some find the X on the leaner side abd prefer the additional warmth of copper. I apologize to others if this is off the course of Auralic discussion but finding the best suited IC between Vega abd Taurus I do think has merit to discuss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back