AURALiC owners unite!
Mar 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #361 of 2,392
  So I got my Auralic Ark mk+ today and can't get it to play. Can someone help me with this? I installed the driver, no problem. Pulled up the USB driver control panel and messed with the settings. Still the only audio comes out of my lab top. Please and thank you.

Sounds like you have not told the operating system to use the Auralic, so it is still using the internal sound. Are you using a Mac or Windows or ? 

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #362 of 2,392
  So I got my Auralic Ark mk+ today and can't get it to play. Can someone help me with this? I installed the driver, no problem. Pulled up the USB driver control panel and messed with the settings. Still the only audio comes out of my lab top. Please and thank you.You are using

You are using Windwos since you have to install a driver.
Did you switch you sound source from sound manager panel and tell windows to use your DAC as default ?

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #364 of 2,392
You have a mini speaker icon in you taskbar. Right click on it and chose playback device. In the sound manager panel, left click on your DAC icon and chose it as default playback device.

Like in this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuiAgtqV4eU

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #367 of 2,392
  Cool. Thanks it is working now.

Good.

Are you using Foobar2000 or JRiver ? The ASIO is much better than DirectSound sound output.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #369 of 2,392
Folks, I'm still waiting on my Vega, most likely will take a week or two, but the interesting question is this:

Auralic Vega supports DSD and DXD, since DSD is essentially SACD, will I be able to buy actual (physical) SACD CDs and play them back through my PC?

Also, regarding the Taurus mk2, you people are scaring me from it, it seems like you say that because it is bright _like_ bryston BHA-1 which was really  really bright when I heard it, that is why it is transparent, which seems scary.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #370 of 2,392
It definately isn't bright as the bryston, that is the reason i haven't got the bryston right now and have the taurus :wink:

Transparent -> any brightness in the chain will be revealed though :)

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #371 of 2,392
Auralic Vega supports DSD and DXD, since DSD is essentially SACD, will I be able to buy actual (physical) SACD CDs and play them back through my PC?

Nope, you will have to rip them using a special PS3 first, and then play/stream DSD files to your DAC. See this thread @ ComputerAudiophile. Its much easier to just buy DSD files, but the currently available selection is very limited.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #372 of 2,392
Nope, you will have to rip them using a special PS3 first, and then play/stream DSD files to your DAC. See this thread @ ComputerAudiophile. Its much easier to just buy DSD files, but the currently available selection is very limited.

I do own a PS3, but I think it has the newer firmwares...

It definately isn't bright as the bryston, that is the reason i haven't got the bryston right now and have the taurus :wink:

Transparent -> any brightness in the chain will be revealed though :)

I'll have to give it a try, I'll make the Vega+Taurus stack, hopefully it will pay out.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #373 of 2,392
I just got the balanced cable for my HD800 to use with the Taurus. I am getting a lot more gain in the balanced mode than I do through the se mode through the standard 1/4 jack. Is that normal? I have never used fully balanced dynamic headphones before. With the standard cable on the HD800 my volume knob is around 10-11 O'clock. With the balanced xlr cable in balanced mode it is at about 7-8 o'clock. I just want to know if that had been your experience? I thought there was supposed to be higher gain through the 1/4 jack? I honestly can barely open the volume knob before it gets too loud.

P.S. I just checked the specs on Auralic's site and discovered that the gain is 4 times greater in balanced mode. That explains it. It is very nearly too much gain for the hD800. At 300 ohms in balance mode it puts out 2watts!! In standard mode it is only 500mw. You could weld with this thing.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #374 of 2,392
Originally Posted by Chodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting a lot more gain in the balanced mode than I do through the se mode through the standard 1/4 jack. Is that normal?
P.S. I just checked the specs on Auralic's site and discovered that the gain is 4 times greater in balanced mode. That explains it. It is very nearly too much gain for the hD800. At 300 ohms in balance mode it puts out 2watts!! In standard mode it is only 500mw. You could weld with this thing.

Usually balanced mode is double power versus SE (it's the same signal as SE but on both + and inversed on -, whether on SE you get the signal only on + and zero-ground on -), so it is always notably louder with the same volume knob position.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #375 of 2,392
  Usually balanced mode is double power versus SE (it's the same signal as SE but on both + and inversed on -, whether on SE you get the signal only on + and zero-ground on -), so it is always notably louder with the same volume knob position.

Also the Taurus MKII delivers power differently between SE and BAL:

Output Power (continuous in RMS)
 ​
STD Mode​
BAL Mode​
32ohm​
4500mW​
1200mW​
120ohm​
1200mW​
4500mW​
300ohm​
500mW​
2000mW​
600ohm​
250mW​
1000mW​

4 times the power to the HD800s in BAL mode plus the extra voltage due to BAL use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back