AURALiC owners unite!
Dec 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #241 of 2,392
Thanks for the pics - nice system you have there!

It may just be that the Lyr ticks all the boxes for you. Sometimes there's a mid or even lower end product that just does it for us, making it hard to justify more expensive stuff. Even if the more expensive stuff is better in some other ways. If the Lyr does that for you, then there's nothing wrong with that! Have fun and enjoy. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #242 of 2,392

It may just be that the Lyr ticks all the boxes for you. Sometimes there's a mid or even lower end product that just does it for us, making it hard to justify more expensive stuff. Even if the more expensive stuff is better in some other ways. If the Lyr does that for you, then there's nothing wrong with that! Have fun and enjoy. 

So true. I often find this to new the case. Enjoy, art least one gets more of a peace of mind when one has experienced this =)

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #245 of 2,392

Many thanks John. You definitely have a point there... However, the reason of investing in a new amp had its roots in that I wished to try a few other headphones - the likes of LCD-3/X, HD 800 - before I "settled" with the HE 500s.

Main reason for this is my copy of the HE 500s exhibits some nasty peaks and valleys in the midrange's frequency response, at several frequencies between 800 Hz and 2.1 KHz (really strange behaviour that I've never heard mentioned in any review or impressions of the HP - it must definitely be my copy). This is particularly bothersome with some piano pieces, where arrangements hitting this range consistently can be sometimes almost unlistenable, with one note sounding at a "correct" sound pressure but the next sounding very resonant and at an ear-bleeding SPL. Since the piano is an instrument I like playing a lot, I would like my setup to be as neutral as possible within the range that this instrument covers... :wink:

The Lyr accentuates this while the Taurus tames it a little.

There seems to be a consensus that The Taurus pairs well with many headphones, which made the purchase decision easier and my choice of HP more flexible.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #246 of 2,392
again on the (unfair) "infamous" exact setting of the Vega clock....

since my Vega is back I can use the exact mode almost in every case without any drop out, both with pcm (any fs up to 384k) and dsd (64 and 128).... but sometimes, very rarely, I got a drop out sequence, in a completely random way, but always starting in the first 30s or so and then continuing until the player stops...

well, I've casually discovered a trick that seems to solve the issue: in fb2k while the music is playing, after the first drop out, I just increase the buffer, apply, then step back to the previous value, apply, et voila', no dropouts at all!!!

I completely ignore why this is happening, but it works in my setup, the important thing is to do this while the music is playing.

I'm using a dedicated and optimized dualcore atom netbook as player (Asus EeePC 1011PX with 2GB of ram), usb cable is a Wireworld Starlight 7.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #248 of 2,392
  does it not change with the running time? for me no more dropout after 1h usage or so.
I use a Mac with Audirvana and 5g of memory buffer

Yep, operating temperature is the key. Even that it supposed to keep femto clock warm during sleep, from my experience it takes good 15 minutes of run in before if fully stabilizes after waking up.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #249 of 2,392
yep, very true... I just didn't want to wait those minutes, I'm a bit anxious
tongue.gif
etysmile.gif

in any case, I would like to remark that using a dedicated and optimized pc, even if very low-end (atom
frown.gif
), the exact mode is fully available to be used, great work Auralic!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #253 of 2,392
Jan 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #254 of 2,392
  The only question is chosen wi-fi standard - 802.11ac, really not looking forward to upgrading my laptop and router just for that.

I'd like to think they have at some fallback built in - at least 802.11n if not 802.11g. No doubt they promote the newest tech, which makes sense. When you see a nice new 802.11ac router advertised, you can bet it still has the older standards on board. Surely AURALiC knows the market saturation for 802.11ac is limited at this point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back