AURALiC owners unite!
Dec 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #196 of 2,392
Hi, welcome aboard! And thanks for sharing =)

Too bad you aren't totally overwhelmed and happy. However, things might change, mostly in your head. I have had a lot of disappointed moments like you describe, but then, things tend to grow on me. Or not. You never know...

To answer your question, I have mostly been using HE500 with the Taurus mkI. And I love it =)

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #197 of 2,392
Great and thorough impressions.
I have found Taurus being quite transparent amp, perhaps on par with Headamp offerings based on Gilmore Dynalo design, only more refined and giving that sense of ease with which it delivers the material.
Having said that, look into your source because the chances are this is what you hear.
NAD51 while a great DAC does not have the hottest USB and I see you feed it directly. Try coax out of CD transport or decent DDC like Audiophilleo.
From my experience burn in helps mostly with PRAT.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #198 of 2,392
I have found Taurus being quite transparent amp, perhaps on par with Headroom offerings based on Gilmore Dynalo design, only more refined and giving that sense of ease with which it delivers the material.
Having said that, look into your source because the chances are this is what you hear.
NAD51 while a great DAC does not have the hottest USB and I see you feed it directly. Try coax out of CD transport or decent DDC like Audiophilleo.

Might be onto something there, Andrew. If the Taurus is more transparent, and the Lyr more "dynamic", the Lyr might create a better space-sensation on poorer sources because it wont distract you with all the micro details. Or it might not. Worth trying, though. 

Welcome to the great hunt for perfection, LukeSena 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #199 of 2,392

I have found Taurus being quite transparent amp, perhaps on par with Headroom offerings based on Gilmore Dynalo design, only more refined and giving that sense of ease with which it delivers the material.

Might be onto something there, Andrew. If the Taurus is more transparent, and the Lyr more "dynamic", the Lyr might create a better space-sensation on poorer sources because it wont distract you with all the micro details. Or it might not. Worth trying, though. 

darthsmile.gif

All I know that I am getting lost in HD800 soundstage when it's paired with Vega
eek.gif
so ginormous it is, using balanced in/out expands it even more. Never heard Lyr, but out of the other amps I owned (all SS) Taurus is the most spacious.

I also know that Taurus did not floor me out of the box but in a day or two I started really digging its effortless and relaxed presentation, when nothing jumps on you but do not escape attention either, truly unique.

And as a side note, I would die for any GS-X MK2 with Taurus impressions, someone should have heard both.
wink.gif

EDIT: there was a typo in my original reply, I meant HeadAmp, certainly not headroom, corrected.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #200 of 2,392
  Dear fellow Head-Fi'ers,

As this is my first post, please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong thread... :wink:
Thanks a lot for reading and please forgive me for the very lengthy post!

Luke

P.S.: I'll post any developments in the burn-in process as soon as I hear them

thanks for sharing your impressions, and I must say I got the very same impressions the first time I've listened to my Taurus MKII.

but burn-in changed a lot some of the initial impressions (or maybe it's just my brain that adapted to the new sound, don't know), with particular regards to dynamics and treble air, but also bass extension and slam seem to be better than before.

I'm using a Vega-Taurus combo with an HE500, signal cables are silver UPOCC XLR, and I'm using the stock HE500 silver cable but with a 4 pin neutrik xlr (very simple DIY)

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #201 of 2,392
Hey, thanks everyone for the welcome's! :wink:

Glad to join in!

Quote:
I have had a lot of disappointed moments like you describe, but then, things tend to grow on me. Or not. You never know...

To answer your question, I have mostly been using HE500 with the Taurus mkI. And I love it =)

Thanks Ardilla. Your posts were actually partly "guilty" of my current combo! :wink:)

Going back to my question, I was just wondering if you listened to your HE 500 balanced (of course, both source to amp as well as to the headphones) or SE.

I have found Taurus being quite transparent amp, perhaps on par with Headamp offerings based on Gilmore Dynalo design, only more refined and giving that sense of ease with which it delivers the material.

Thanks a lot Andrew for the tips. I did carry out some tests with the inputs from the M51 when I had some reasonalble burn-in on it and was pleasantly suprised to find them quite comparable and equal in most aspects. On the other hand, I did find considerable differences whenI tested the Bifrost with its first USB incarnation.

A real-decent CD transport is something that I might consider at some point, as it is something lacking in my system. I'm afraid I've only tried a SONY BDP-S780 player and an Oppo 95, both through S/PDIF (optical and coaxial). The "problem" with this type of setup, besides the obvious step back in confort of touching your music library, is that there's no EQ available when I wish to use it.

The Audiophilleo concept looks interesting indeed and I might consider it but my wallet needs to recover a little before that... :wink:

darthsmile.gif

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All I know that I am getting lost in HD800 soundstage when it's paired with Vega
eek.gif
so ginormous it is, using balanced in/out expands it even more. Never heard Lyr, but out of the other amps I owned (all SS) Taurus is the most spacious.

I also know that Taurus did not floor me out of the box but in a day or two I started really digging its effortless and relaxed presentation, when nothing jumps on you but do not escape attention either, truly unique.

If I may elaborate a little on the "visual" experience and what differences I'm able to hear from both amps, I would like to use a real optical analogy. The closest reasonable example I can find is a 65-inch panel displaying a film in a traditional 2D mode and another one in 3D (please note I do not wish to start a debate about 3D on a TV :wink:).  A 2D image can certainly portray a very large lanscape, where our brain is taught to distinguish between farther objects through means such as apparent size comparison, perspective distortion, sharpness, etc.; but there is no stereoscopic image comparison of our left and right eye vision that our brain can use to establish their position in a 3 dimensional space.

What I'm able to perceive from the Auralic is a 2D image of a large landscape, while the Lyr does seem to separate the Z-axis or depth into distinct layers much more, therefore offering a more "tactile" presentation, if you will...

By the way, that is a gorgeuos DAC you have right there Andrew, I hope it gives you all kinds of satisfactions! :)

Quote:

thanks for sharing your impressions, and I must say I got the very same impressions the first time I've listened to my Taurus MKII.

but burn-in changed a lot some of the initial impressions (or maybe it's just my brain that adapted to the new sound, don't know), with particular regards to dynamics and treble air, but also bass extension and slam seem to be better than before.

I'm using a Vega-Taurus combo with an HE500, signal cables are silver UPOCC XLR, and I'm using the stock HE500 silver cable but with a 4 pin neutrik xlr (very simple DIY)

Hi Phaeton! Thanks a lot, I feel better now that you mention it.

By the way, I just purchased an original OFC copper XLR cable from Hifiman and also a pair of Sommer Cable Epilogue XLRs to connect the M51 to the Taurus and test the balanced mode. I hope I get them soon to post impressions!

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #202 of 2,392

Thanks Ardilla. Your posts were actually partly "guilty" of my current combo! :wink:)

Going back to my question, I was just wondering if you listened to your HE 500 balanced (of course, both source to amp as well as to the headphones) or SE.

Thanks a lot Andrew for the tips. I did carry out some tests with the inputs from the M51 when I had some reasonalble burn-in on it and was pleasantly suprised to find them quite comparable and equal in most aspects. On the other hand, I did find considerable differences whenI tested the Bifrost with its first USB incarnation.

A real-decent CD transport is something that I might consider at some point, as it is something lacking in my system. I'm afraid I've only tried a SONY BDP-S780 player and an Oppo 95, both through S/PDIF (optical and coaxial). The "problem" with this type of setup, besides the obvious step back in confort of touching your music library, is that there's no EQ available when I wish to use it.

The Audiophilleo concept looks interesting indeed and I might consider it but my wallet needs to recover a little before that... :wink:

Oh, I hope you wont be very angry with me if burn in doesn't help.. But I can always hide behind the fact that I recommended the HE500/Taurus mkI combo...
rolleyes.gif

I think you will, hopefully, adjust to the sound. I have found that tube amps often have great imaging, and imo some of it is because they put the mids more in front than many SS amps. In that sense they create the illusion of layering more clearly than others. just a thought. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #204 of 2,392
Gentlemen,

Just received the balanced cables I ordered for the Taurus. No comparison. Before, the system just lacked emotion, depth and the details simply drowned the songs' lead instruments and vocals. After, the soundstage gains more tactility and separation, making the music simply more enjoyable.

I believe it is safe to say that this amp MUST be driven balanced to show its quality.

I have to of course listen to a few more albums before I can open the bottle of Champagne, but this seems to be going now in the right direction... :)

Other differences worth noting:

- Gain much higher in balanced. Volume now between 9 and 11 (before usually 13-14)

- Bass a little tigther

@ Ardilla - I don't hate you. Now I love you! :wink:

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #205 of 2,392
Gentlemen,

Just received the balanced cables I ordered for the Taurus. No comparison. Before, the system just lacked emotion, depth and the details simply drowned the songs' lead instruments and vocals. After, the soundstage gains more tactility and separation, making the music simply more enjoyable.

I believe it is safe to say that this amp MUST be driven balanced to show its quality.

I have to of course listen to a few more albums before I can open the bottle of Champagne, but this seems to be going now in the right direction...
smily_headphones1.gif

Other differences worth noting:

- Gain much higher in balanced. Volume now between 9 and 11 (before usually 13-14)

- Bass a little tigther

@ Ardilla - I don't hate you. Now I love you!
wink.gif

(*blush*)

Great news, yes - an amp that is designed to be fed by a balanced source usually sounds better when fed balanced. 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #206 of 2,392
my Woo Audio Wa2 finally got a worthy companion! both units are individually esthetically stunning but together...hum...Well, the sound is all that matters in the end and that part rocks 
dt880smile.png

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #208 of 2,392
Has anyone tried to cover pin 1 and 4 on USB PC side with tape? I've learned this trick from Yulong DA8 thread and I swear it made already impeccable sound from USB even cleaner, background is completely black (like pitch pitch black) now and I feel that soundstage expanded a bit as a result of it.
It's free an IMO well worth the try.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #210 of 2,392
  Do you use normal sticky tape to cover the pins or is there better suggestion?

Just heavy duty packaging clear scotch, it's thinner than electrical tape. Cut a strip around 1/8", push it in the connector so it goes all way in, use something like toothpick to press it down so it cling in place and wrap around the lip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back