Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers wanted !
Oct 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #301 of 460
  I'm not so happy with your insinuation about my bias-ness in my review though. It's funny how shots are always fired at me, but then nobody finds anything inaccurate or missing in my reviews. If you find something wrong with my review, then say I'm doing it for the sample. 

Wasn't insinuating anything - so if you're touchy about that - it's on you.

As far as your review goes - those are your impressions - just as mine are mine.  The whole idea of the review tours is to give a lot of exposure, and many different viewpoints (find both commonalities and differences).  It is also a way for Aune to gather constructive feedback about good points and flaws - so that they can better their product lines in future. I find it a bit strange you found no cons at all - but then given your review was up less than 24 hours after receiving the unit, I guess none were apparent.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #302 of 460

Wasn't insinuating anything - so if you're touchy about that - it's on you.

As far as your review goes - those are your impressions - just as mine are mine.  The whole idea of the review tours is to give a lot of exposure, and many different viewpoints (find both commonalities and differences).  It is also a way for Aune to gather constructive feedback about good points and flaws - so that they can better their product lines in future. I find it a bit strange you found no cons at all - but then given your review was up less than 24 hours after receiving the unit, I guess none were apparent.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad you brought it up. Here is my rundown as to the cons:

I agreed with one of your cons, another was non-applicable (text is fine on a black X1S), Gain switch was unnecessary in my opinion seeing how fine-tuned the volume knob was, the filter button was just above okay for me (although I was on the fence about putting that as a con), and I have no idea what variable control is, but the RCA input worked lovely by me with and without the volume knob.

You should take a look at the other reviews too - about half of them found no substantial cons with the X1S. Would you say they "missed" some cons too?

As for the other half of reviews, it was generally a cycle of "no gain switch" (which I explained), and "low output power" which genuinely puzzles me since it drove both the power-hungry K7XX and 250-ohm T90 more than well.

I'd also like to bring to your attention that I probably spent more time actually writing that review in 24 hours (~10 hours of writing) than most people here spent over a period of a few days or weeks. You think it's easy for me to sitting down for that long and through the night as to give the first review to the public (without delay) and not hold up the (biggest) tour group? I would think that's harder. If there was only two people in my group, heck, I would have taken 9 days like you too 
redface.gif

So... what did I miss? 
smile.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #303 of 460
I'll send you PM - seeing as how you seem to be taking it personally.

For the record though - I had the unit 7 days.  The tour rules stated explicitly 5 working days for each listener, so basically you could have it for a week.

My first 3-4 days were purely listening and testing.  4th and 5th days were critical listening and note taking.  I did the photography over the weekend, and the unit was packed up and allocated for delivery immediately afterward.  I then took 2 more days after it was gone to properly write, edit and post my review.

If you want to keep sniping - lets take it to PM.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #312 of 460
  As for the other half of reviews, it was generally a cycle of "no gain switch" (which I explained), and "low output power" which genuinely puzzles me since it drove both the power-hungry K7XX and 250-ohm T90 more than well.

I talked about "low power" in my review.
This does not mean the unit cannot drive power hungry headphones like the ones you mention. It droved my Sennheiser HD650 well, while it was lacking some 'grunt' (as someone says here on head-fi.org) compared to the Gustard H10.
But it was not able to drive my old Yamaha HP3 comfortably (it sounded flat and lifeless), while the Gustard can drive them a lot better.
The Gustard stack I mentioned is really on another level as it's 4x the price so it's hard to say more than the unit possibly lacks some power compared to more expensive equipment.
I did not talk about the missing gain switch gain as others did, because I do not think a gain switch would make the things better. If it lacks power, it's not a gain switch that will make this unit able to drive power hungry headphone more easily.
But, at the proposed price, this is a non-issue, in my opinion.

My .02€

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #313 of 460

I talked about "low power" in my review.
This does not mean the unit cannot drive power hungry headphones like the ones you mention. It droved my Sennheiser HD650 well, while it was lacking some 'grunt' (as someone says here on head-fi.org) compared to the Gustard H10.
But it was not able to drive my old Yamaha HP3 comfortably (it sounded flat and lifeless), while the Gustard can drive them a lot better.
The Gustard stack I mentioned is really on another level as it's 4x the price so it's hard to say more than the unit possibly lacks some power compared to more expensive equipment.
I did not talk about the missing gain switch gain as others did, because I do not think a gain switch would make the things better. If it lacks power, it's not a gain switch that will make this unit able to drive power hungry headphone more easily.
But, at the proposed price, this is a non-issue, in my opinion.

My .02€

Thanks for clarifying! I certainly did not mean to call anybody out.

I wish I could have compared it to more expensive equipment, like you did. That's valuable information you got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back